Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you judge an alcoholic?

• 13-10-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Personally I sympathise with them as I feel a lot of them have had a tough life and are turning to the drink to block out the pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thinly veiled i'm an alcoholic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

they're very organised, they go to meetings and stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

10 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work for a German retailer and I see so so so many people in everyday buying 2/3 bottles of wine and theres one man who buys a 12 pack of beer and a bottle of brandy '

One thing about all these people , there all pretty much nice people and very much in control , I don't know how they do it, and I know there drinking it because you can see it in their skin

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Personally I sympathise with them as I feel a lot of them have had a tough life and are turning to the drink to block out the pain.

Tell that to all the kids I have fostered! Im not sure they would agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

A combination of artistic merit and technical difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't judge them, it's not a competition,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I know there drinking it because you can see it in their skin

Interesting

How do you see it though, not sure what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Simon Cowell?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

On how quickly they can down a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's a pretty meaningless word.

Some people can lead a productive life and drink loads and some people can't handle four or five pints without wrecking the place.

Which one is the alcoholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't understand it. I don't think they're alcoholics.

Alcoholics need a drink, they usually have plenty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You know you are an alcoholic when you drink more then your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

With pity, it's an awful condition, you have to remember that there's often a contributory factor which leads to alcoholism. Think about it, zero self esteem self hatred, hoping to die soon. It takes over, the alcohol consumes everything and it's your only friend. It's easy to scoff at it if you don't fully understand the grip alcohol has on sufferers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

J Mysterio wrote: »

Get lost....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some people can lead a productive life and drink loads and some people can't handle four or five pints without wrecking the place.

Can't they both be alcoholics? If they depend on it as part of their everyday lives then they are. I don't think quantities consumed or subsequent behaviors come in to it.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Interesting

How do you see it though, not sure what you mean

Look it's not based on scientific evidence but the peoples skin completion looks red and blotchy and their eyes look very tired .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I don't.

I'm not a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

It is not to hard a question to answer, ask him/her why they are where they are, then judge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you have to ask then I'm not sure you understand what alcoholism is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

TheComeUp wrote: »

Get lost....

Suck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Can't they both be alcoholics? If they depend on it as part of their everyday lives then they are. I don't think quantities consumed or subsequent behaviors come in to it.

I was under the impression that it was everything to do with behaviour. If someone is dependant on a drug but happy enough and not harming anyone else then what is the problem?

Also, if a person has 3 cans of beer every night is he an addict?

Ya see that's the problem with pseudo-scientific labelling of people.
    If you have to ask then I'm not sure you understand what alcoholism is.

I was referring to the word 'alcoholic' for which there is no set definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

The difference is one needs to drink (feels the need to drink), one is just a prick with drink.

Suck it

Come on people, calm the feck down !!!! Have a drink and calm down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

How do you judge an alcoholic?

Usually out of 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I was referring to the word 'alcoholic' for which there is no set definition.

An alcoholic is a person suffering from alcoholism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Henry Sellars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If you have 5 or 6 bottles of beer every night are you an alcoholic ? Even though you go to work every morning and don't get drunk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

scwazrh wrote: »
    If you have 5 or 6 bottles of beer every night are you an alcoholic ? Even though you go to work every morning and don't get drunk ?

That would make you a functioning alcoholic.

As opposed to an an alcoholic, which I'm not, they go to meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I look down upon them, they are wasters with a drug addiction, Alcohol is a drug, yet people treat it as if it was something different. I hate how everything in Ireland revolves around alcohol especially the social life aspect of it.

I personally don't drink and they whole concept of going out to pay for overpriced drink and making a fool of ones self is pityfull, it really is an ignominy that people do this every weekend often men who feel they must be a borderline alcoholic to just speak to a woman.

So basically alcoholics are wasters in my view and should be treated with contempt and not pity. Everybody has choices in life and being an alcoholic is just the result of bad choice making.

Advertisement