Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

JFlah wrote: »
    Yes I,m having a much needed night off tonight , it's beginning to come together at last
    Great to have the Java done parked and forgotten

It is indeed although I think a lot of people put too much work into it for the 15%. Judging from the results yesterday, the people with the basic requirements weren't too far behind the people with major work. TBH, JW was more interested in the look and a little 'trick' or algorithm than the actually code behind it.

Only to make a start on MM now! I have no idea about this 'technology' to be introduced into the site especially when plugins are disabled for wordpress.com!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

AntiRip wrote: »
    It is indeed although I think a lot of people put too much work into it for the 15%. Judging from the results yesterday, the people with the basic requirements weren't too far behind the people with major work. TBH, JW was more interested in the look and a little 'trick' or algorithm than the actually code behind it.

Only to make a start on MM now! I have no idea about this 'technology' to be introduced into the site especially when plugins are disabled for wordpress.com!:)

I am using soundcloud to embed some music in my site I think something like that will be grand(I hope at least)

I won't be complaining about OOP2 - i did well but it was definitely too much effort for 15% it ate up so much time at the expense of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I got totally consumed by java in the last week or so, had to make a load of changes on Monday which meant I rushed finishing it but feck it.

Wordpress is gonna be a struggle, not looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Well lads, that's the lectures over and done with. Took a break for a while til I realised I still have a project presentation, 3 CAs and 4 exams to prepare for. Back to it!

Just work placement next semester, officially finished with lectures FOREVER!

Opinicus wrote: »
    Well lads, that's the lectures over and done with. Took a break for a while til I realised I still have a project presentation, 3 CAs and 4 exams to prepare for. Back to it!

Just work placement next semester, officially finished with lectures FOREVER!
    The joys, I was feeling great yesterday when I handed in the SAD, then realised I have a report and 4 exams to get cracking at, gonna take the weekend off though. :cool:

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    The joys, I was feeling great yesterday when I handed in the SAD, then realised I have a report and 4 exams to get cracking at, gonna take the weekend off though. :cool:

Same as .. not looking at a thing until Monday at least badly need a break from it all. The sense of relief once SAD was sent was great.

Sweet J**us some amount to cover in DB and SAD for exams :(

Sweet J**us some amount to cover in DB and SAD for exams :(

It's ridiculous. I'm having trouble last couple of days with it. Can't get it to stick. Can't do more than half hour of databases before I have to walk away from it. I honestly don't think I can study it all, Q1 is the killer as it will cover everything and it's mandatory.

If you have a good mark in the CAs, it will take some of the pressure off but it's torture to study this stuff especially over xmas period also. I actually hate the course this semester!

It's ridiculous. I'm having trouble last couple of days with it. Can't get it to stick. Can't do more than half hour of databases before I have to walk away from it. I honestly don't think I can study it all, Q1 is the killer as it will cover everything and it's mandatory.

If you have a good mark in the CAs, it will take some of the pressure off but it's torture to study this stuff especially over xmas period also. I actually hate the course this semester!

I would,nt say I hate it but its been a really tough semester the DB stuff is so hard to retain and SAD won,t be a lot easier. Thank God for OOP2 probably the easiest exam to get to grips with.

Gonna be very hard trying to study for it at home, seems mad that they'd have the college closed over christmas yet give us an exam on the 2nd.

Gonna get cracking on the database report today. Can't wait

• Advertisement

Gonna be very hard trying to study for it at home, seems mad that they'd have the college closed over christmas yet give us an exam on the 2nd.

Gonna get cracking on the database report today. Can't wait

Great craic, you,ll love it.

440 words in, not too bad now once im in a small bit of a groove with it

440 words in, not too bad now once im in a small bit of a groove with it

Mine is basically taken from research sources with lots of referencing , very little of my own thinking!! 1386 words now :)

Same here, up to 637 now. I've almost no idea what the hell im talking about in this report though. God help me when we have to start doing database programming

Same here, up to 637 now. I've almost no idea what the hell im talking about in this report though. God help me when we have to start doing database programming

I've finished mine, around 1450 words or there abouts. Reference the sh1t out of it, i say my references took up 200 words of it :-). I think you can also had references you 'looked up' but may have not used.
    She said to put your own input into it, you can forget that anyway as I didn't know what I was talking about! :-)

Never found subjects so hard to study than dbases and sad. May have to narrow it down to certain big questions and hope for the best.

That DFDs question 1 IN SAD could swallow up the whole 2 hours! That's like a mini-project!

I wasnt very happy having the 3 exams after christmas but I think it may be working out for the best.

Up to 825 words now and im running out of things to write about!

I wasnt very happy having the 3 exams after christmas but I think it may be working out for the best.

Up to 825 words now and im running out of things to write about!

Me too. Although wouldn't have minded OOP and NF either.

I was struggling near the end also :). You may get a good bit out of the conclusion also by summarising all what you said. Put the References in now also as it will give you a more accurate word count ;)

Me too. Although wouldn't have minded OOP and NF either.

I was struggling near the end also :). You may get a good bit out of the conclusion also by summarising all what you said. Put the References in now also as it will give you a more accurate word count ;)

Nice, over the 1000 mark now.

Likewise just filling pages here!

1,189 now. Almost there

• Advertisement

6 Hours later and I have the fecking thing done. Gonna reward myself tomorrow by studying some database systems. :cool:

6 Hours later and I have the fecking thing done. Gonna reward myself tomorrow by studying some database systems. :cool:

Awh don't be tough on yourself. Do sad instead :D

Jflah/Antirip, There was a class where Catherine went through what might come up on SAD and Databases, were ye in for it? If so what did she mention? Was the one fecking class i missed all semseter.

Also that networking fundamentals exam was a bit of a bastard. Multiple choice was a lot trickier compared to rpevious years.

Jflah/Antirip, There was a class where Catherine went through what might come up on SAD and Databases, were ye in for it? If so what did she mention? Was the one fecking class i missed all semseter.

Also that networking fundamentals exam was a bit of a bastard. Multiple choice was a lot trickier compared to rpevious years.

I,ll pop up details this afternoon for you

I,ll pop up details this afternoon for you

Do please thanks. Missed that class also (the last class) but I was under the impression that she said it was more likely to come up for the repeat exam in the summer hence I was being presumptuous not going into the class :)

That networking fundamentals exam was a bit of a bastard. Multiple choice was a lot trickier compared to rpevious years.

It was very tricky alright. Some of the multiple choice questions I hadn't seen before and the submitting was very tricky also. Took a lot longer than I thought as well

Right DB first

4 questions answer Q1 and 2 others
    Q1 has 5 parts answer 4 , 10 marks each 40% of paper all theory based from any part of course. she did mention the features of the relational model as part of this also transaction log , what is normalization and distributed db( a replicate, a fragment)

Q 2,3,4 30% each
    all in either 3 or 4 parts

1 definitely on labs
    questions divided into short theory and a worked part , worked part is er modelling and normalization for certain

for discuss describe sections she expects at least 1/2 a page

the 2 topics mentioned repeatedly were
    Transaction Management(ACID properties, what is a transaction, locks, anomalies)
    Distributed DB( what is? homogenous,heterogenous, location, user transparency)

read paper carefully
    40-45 mins for question 1
    30 mins for other questions

SAD
    same format as DB Q 1 and 2 out of 3 others
    Q1 allow an hour :draw dfds etc for a system , hierarchy chart . No leeway on incorrect naming or labelling of items on the diagrams or incorrect shapes used on dfds.

other questions some theory, some examples to work out
    cost benefit
    network analysis - critical path
    gantt charts
    resource aggregation profile

mentioned sw development life cycle quite a bit as well as project management

biggest problem on this paper is definitely time
    Q1 is a monster

It was very tricky alright. Some of the multiple choice questions I hadn't seen before and the submitting was very tricky also. Took a lot longer than I thought as well

Multiple choice was fairly tough alright, didnt even ask the RJ45 question.

Sound for that JFlah, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Your dead right about question one! Those DFDs especially the DFD level 2 can take 2 hours never mind the other 2 questions. They will be some pressure in that exam

Advertisement