Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Souper Soup Thread [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Carrot and coriander soup.
    .. it's even better (IMO!) with a teaspoon or so of ground coriander as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

Anyone got a nice recipe for chicken mulligatawny soup that doesnt involve a lot of apple or celery? used to get one in tesco but havnt seen it for aaages.

This one has neither:

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Chicken-Mulligatawny-Soup-L2426.html

Nor does this:

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Mulligatawny_Soup.aspx

I do like a good mulligatawny soup - I remember back to the tins of Heinz mulligatawny soup when I was considerably younger than I am now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Beruthiel wrote: »
    My two fav soups:

Carrot and coriander soup.

Chop and fry an onion.
    Chop up loads of carrots and throw in on top of onion.
    Add veg stock (just enough to cover carrots)
    Keep on heat until carrots have softened.
    Puree and put back in sauspan.
    Add milk and a good dash of cream until you get the consistency you want.
    Add chopped, fresh coriander.

Parsnip and apple soup.

Fry an onion.
    Chop and add two large parsnips.
    Add veg stock.
    When nearly done, throw in one large cooking apple. (Chopped)
    Salt and black pepper.
    Puree.
    Add milk and cream to the consistency you want.

I know cream is very bold, but it really gives soup a delicious taste.

I think I might combine these two and make carrot, parsnip and coriander soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My favourite soup is Broccoli soup.

Ingredients

1 large potato

1 Large onion

1 Large head of Broccoli

1 & 1/2 pints of chicken stock, home made is preferable.

1 clove garlic

Knob of butter

Cream

How to make...

Chop the onion & Garlic (finely) and fry in the butter on a medium heat until the onion has softened.

Add the chicken stock.

Chop the potato into small pieces and add to stock.

Bring to the boil and let simmer for fifteen minutes.

Add the broccoli.

Cook for another 10 mins or so until the broccoli is cooked.

Leave to cool for a while and then blend with a hand blender.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add as much cream as you need to make it nice and creamy :)

You should be left with a lovely bright green delicious soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

borscht+title.jpg
    Try Borsch, without the ham - use sun dried tomatos instead.
    I did a version using black pudding to give it an Irish twist but again this is optional.

1.5 lts water
    600 grms Fresh beetroot, peeled and diced. Mine were Bolthardy
    200 grms Fresh red cabbage - finely shredded.
    Mine was Rodeo, but can easily be replaced by other veg.
    100 grms Carrot (1 large carrot) peeled and diced. I used Lisse de Mieux
    100 grms Onion (1 large onion) Peeled, chopped roughly. I used a good old Ailsa Craig type
    100 grms Sun dried tomatos
    4 cloves Garlic peeled and crushed
    1 tsp pepper
    3 tsp sea salt
    Bay leaf
    Knob of good butter
    Tbls olive oil

The above is the basic, and you will get a very nice soup out of it.
    But to adjust it to my own taste, and to give it a bit of a twist I altered it a little.

1 tsp caraway seeds (I just like this flavour with cabbage)
    100 grm root parsley, Atika, that I grew in the garden. Very typical of eastern European cuisine, Czech in particular and it adds tremendous depth and flavour.

METHOD
    Get the veg washed, chopped and ready to go and prep meats.
    Dry roast the caraway seed in the pan
    Add butter and olive oil, get it to a good high temperature
    Chuck in your sun dried tomatos, carrots, cabbage, onion and garlic.
    Sweat them off for 5 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper, keep them sweating for a further 5 minutes.
    Add 1 litre water and the bay leaf - don't forget, reserve 500ml of water.
    Bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes
    Then add chipped or cubed beetroot, and optional Atika.
    Bring back to the boil for 5 minutes
    Add the remaining 500 ml of water, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Remove the bay leaf.
    Using a strainer or slotted spoon transfer the solids to a blender - whizz until liquefied and return to liquid.
    Let it sit on a low heat for 5-10 minutes and serve.

Dressed with soured herby cream (whip cream, lemonjuice, chives and parsely)

Another option is Caldo Verdi - a Portuguese staple, this is mine - just modified again for veggies.
    IMG_1687.jpg

500 gm Potato, peeled and diced
    100 gm Milan Purple top - mild white turnip, cleaned and diced
    300 gm turnip top, kale or other greens
    200 gm Onion, chopped
    4 cloves Garlic
    100 gm sun dried tomato for the veggie version
    1.5 litres of veggie stock
    2 bay leaves
    Level teaspoon Paprika
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Olive oil, about half a cup for drizzle

Method

1. In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat until they are translucent.

2. Add the garlic, paprika and sun dried toms and cook until the onions are transluscent.

3. Add the diced potatoes and turnip, sweat them a little, they will absorb the flavours

4. Add the stock, seasoning and bay leaves, and bring to the boil, then simmer until potatoes are soft.

Season to taste, don't be afraid of the salt with this one.

5. Meanwhile, remove the stems from the greens and very finely chop the greens, really fine. I just used the turnip tops in this soup, but kale, cabbage and other greens are good as well.

6. When the potatoes and turnip are soft, whisk the broth to make a thick base.
    Some people say to use a blender, but I like some texture in soup

7. Blanch the greens with boiling water to take off any bitterness, i.e put them in a strainer and pour over some boiling water, they wilt quickly.

8. Add as many greens as the soup will support - if you want heavy soup add loads of greens, if lighter, add less.

9. Simmer for a few minutes. The soup will go a really nice golden colour with a jade.
    The more greens you added, the greener it will go - my limit was what I pulled from the garden with three baby turnips.

10. Ladle to a bowl - Swirl in a little olive oil into the soup. You can liven this up by adding a little Paprika, Tabasco or piri-piri which gives it an exotic red dash, and more spiciness.

The final drizzle of olive oil when serving is essential.

Serve with some crusty rustic bread, or as I did a salty soda bread, and - as the lads say - wallow in praise!

As they say in Portugal, Bom apetite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Sitting here in work with my home made soup!! Made roast chicken for dinner yesterday so I made a stock and made a carrot and cumin soup. Dead chuffed, it's amazing how a good bowl of soup heats you up isn't it!

Thanks for all the lovely recipes, I'll definitely be working my way through them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Heres a lovely Pea soup i make cheap ingredients too.

1 Bag of frozen Peas 1kg - You can get these in Lidl
    2 creme freche also from lidl ;)
    1 Tsp of sugar
    2 onions, biggish, chop fine.
    900mls of chicken stock
    25g butter
    salt and pepper to taste

melt the butter in a pot and fry the onions until soft.
    add the chicken stock and bring to boil
    add the peas and salt n pepper, bring to boil then simmer for 6mins until the peas are soft.
    blend it all up with a hand blender
    add the 2 creme freche and heat and stir for a few minutes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    borscht+title.jpg
    Try Borsch, without the ham - use sun dried tomatos instead.
    I did a version using black pudding to give it an Irish twist but again this is optional.

1.5 lts water
    600 grms Fresh beetroot, peeled and diced. Mine were Bolthardy
    200 grms Fresh red cabbage - finely shredded.
    Mine was Rodeo, but can easily be replaced by other veg.
    100 grms Carrot (1 large carrot) peeled and diced. I used Lisse de Mieux
    100 grms Onion (1 large onion) Peeled, chopped roughly. I used a good old Ailsa Craig type
    100 grms Sun dried tomatos
    4 cloves Garlic peeled and crushed
    1 tsp pepper
    3 tsp sea salt
    Bay leaf
    Knob of good butter
    Tbls olive oil

The above is the basic, and you will get a very nice soup out of it.
    But to adjust it to my own taste, and to give it a bit of a twist I altered it a little.

1 tsp caraway seeds (I just like this flavour with cabbage)
    100 grm root parsley, Atika, that I grew in the garden. Very typical of eastern European cuisine, Czech in particular and it adds tremendous depth and flavour.

METHOD
    Get the veg washed, chopped and ready to go and prep meats.
    Dry roast the caraway seed in the pan
    Add butter and olive oil, get it to a good high temperature
    Chuck in your sun dried tomatos, carrots, cabbage, onion and garlic.
    Sweat them off for 5 minutes.
    Season with salt and pepper, keep them sweating for a further 5 minutes.
    Add 1 litre water and the bay leaf - don't forget, reserve 500ml of water.
    Bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes
    Then add chipped or cubed beetroot, and optional Atika.
    Bring back to the boil for 5 minutes
    Add the remaining 500 ml of water, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Remove the bay leaf.
    Using a strainer or slotted spoon transfer the solids to a blender - whizz until liquefied and return to liquid.
    Let it sit on a low heat for 5-10 minutes and serve.

Dressed with soured herby cream (whip cream, lemonjuice, chives and parsely)

Another option is Caldo Verdi - a Portuguese staple, this is mine - just modified again for veggies.
    IMG_1687.jpg

500 gm Potato, peeled and diced
    100 gm Milan Purple top - mild white turnip, cleaned and diced
    300 gm turnip top, kale or other greens
    200 gm Onion, chopped
    4 cloves Garlic
    100 gm sun dried tomato for the veggie version
    1.5 litres of veggie stock
    2 bay leaves
    Level teaspoon Paprika
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Olive oil, about half a cup for drizzle

Method

1. In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat until they are translucent.

2. Add the garlic, paprika and sun dried toms and cook until the onions are transluscent.

3. Add the diced potatoes and turnip, sweat them a little, they will absorb the flavours

4. Add the stock, seasoning and bay leaves, and bring to the boil, then simmer until potatoes are soft.

Season to taste, don't be afraid of the salt with this one.

5. Meanwhile, remove the stems from the greens and very finely chop the greens, really fine. I just used the turnip tops in this soup, but kale, cabbage and other greens are good as well.

6. When the potatoes and turnip are soft, whisk the broth to make a thick base.
    Some people say to use a blender, but I like some texture in soup

7. Blanch the greens with boiling water to take off any bitterness, i.e put them in a strainer and pour over some boiling water, they wilt quickly.

8. Add as many greens as the soup will support - if you want heavy soup add loads of greens, if lighter, add less.

9. Simmer for a few minutes. The soup will go a really nice golden colour with a jade.
    The more greens you added, the greener it will go - my limit was what I pulled from the garden with three baby turnips.

10. Ladle to a bowl - Swirl in a little olive oil into the soup. You can liven this up by adding a little Paprika, Tabasco or piri-piri which gives it an exotic red dash, and more spiciness.

The final drizzle of olive oil when serving is essential.

Serve with some crusty rustic bread, or as I did a salty soda bread, and - as the lads say - wallow in praise!

As they say in Portugal, Bom apetite!
    The Caldo Verde looks amazing, though I would have it without the garlic. There was a place we went to in Central Portugal - you could get that, fish and chips and a glass of wine for two people for about 12Eur. The Borsch also looks great but again without the garlic for me - am pregnant and garlic makes me feel ill at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

winter is on the way, so i want to start making soup for the kids and iam looking for recipes.
    so fire up your family favourites here, and i will start cooking:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lentil Soup
    3 carrots, diced
    2 sticks of celery, diced
    A large onion, diced
    A cup of red lentils, well rinsed
    A tomato, chopped
    A crushed clove of garlic
    2 chicken stock cubes
    1.5 litres of hot water
    Olive oil
    Salt and black pepper to season
    Sautee the carrots, onions and celery in olive oil until they begin to soften. Add garlic, tomato, stock cubes and lentils and stir well. Add water, salt and black pepper and simmer for an hour. Blend until almost smooth.

Italian tomato soup

3 large carrots
    a large onion
    2 sticks of celery
    a few slices of turnip or swede
    a crushed clove of garlic
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    a tablespoon of tomato puree
    a teaspoon of dried basil
    salt and black pepper
    one and a half pints of hot water
    one and a half chicken or veg stock cubes
    some spaghetti broken into short pieces, or any pasta
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    Dice the veg and throw it into a big pot with the water, garlic and stock cubes and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the veg is tender. Add the tomatoes and blend until almost smooth. Add the basil, tomato puree, sugar and pasta and season to taste. Bring back to the boil and cook until the pasta is tender.
    *The reason I leave the tomatoes out until the veg is tender is because I find that carrots stay hard when cooked with tomatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Leek and potato soup
    Four medium leeks, trimmed (about 500g/a pound in weight)
    The same weight in potatoes
    a medium onion
    2 chicken stock cubes
    1 litre/2 pints of water
    225 ml/½ pint of milk
    25g/an ounce of butter
    Salt & pepper to season
    Wash the leeks and slice off the top darker green parts. Remove the tough outer layer.
    Chop the leeks finely. The best way to do this is to slice them lengthwise into three sections then gather the sections and chop them.
    Put the copped leeks in a colander and rinse them thoroughly. Peel and finely chop the onion.
    Peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes, roughly 2cm / ¾ in cubes.
    If using stock cubes, dissolve them into water.
    Melt butter in a pan on a medium heat.
    Turn the heat to low then add the leeks, onions and potatoes to the pan. Cook on the low heat for 10 minutes. Turn the ingredients twice whilst cooking
    Add the stock and milk to the pan and cook for a further 20 minutes until the potatoes are softened and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
    Blend until almost smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

My fall back soup for this time of year is variations of butternut squash soup.

I think roasting the squash first is a must also throw in some garlic while roasting.

Just sweat some onion and celery.

For squash and fennel soup, add the fennel and sweat down.

For a spicey soup, add ginger and chilli.

Also, can add creamed or canned coconut for a creamier soup.

Add a good stock and if you want a thicker soup a handful of red lentils.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Seaneh wrote: »
    Plain old veg soup.
    you'd get at a normal hotel function type dinner.

that's cause you're using stock cubes

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi all,
    This is probably a daft question, but could I make a soup from Frozen veg? Carrots, Cauliflower, Broccoli, maybe a few garden peas? And a bit of stock?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can make it with whatever you like, but you'll only get out of it what you put into it, as the saying goes.

i've made a veg soup using frozen veg, but imho there's always going to be more flavour to be had from good, fresh veg.

my wife and i make a ham & veg soup every year and we've been gradually perfecting it and we both think we got it spot on this year.

it's a lot of work, but we make a big 10 (or possibly 15) litre pot full and freeze it so we can enjoy it all winter.

it's basically a combination of every bit of veg we can find, all cooked slowly, roasted off first where appropriate, such as squash, sweet pots, carrots, parsnips, garlic, etc. or sautéed onion, celery, leeks, etc. and simmered out and then blended (leaving it slightly chunky) before adding barley & lentils, extra stock, herbs & spices and then boiled and roasted ham cut into pieces.

the ham is the real bargain, most butchers do a pre-packed bone in shoulder for about a fiver a pop and 2 of those cooked off slowly is plenty for the big pot of soup and the ham water improves the flavour too. simmer them off till they're almost falling apart, then remove the fat and roast on a high heat till the edges start to crisp up and then leave to cool and de-bone and chop it up, before mixing itno your now cooled soup and transfer to ziplock freezer bags and you're sorted.

also, if you're short on freezer space, you can reduce the ham water first and make the soup really really thick when you freeze it and then just add some extra water to get it to the right consistency when you've defrosted it and you're heating it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

This works.

Make up Pint of Stock (I use the Knorr Marco Pierre White). Add quarter teaspoon chinese 5 spice and black pepper.
    Bring to boil in small saucepan, add chicken breast fillet and poach for 25 mins.
    Remove chicken and skim stock if necessary
    Add frozen sweetcorn (and noodles if required)
    Bring to boil and simmer for 4 mins.
    Meanwhile slice chicken
    Serve in Bowl and add chicken

Its a hit in my house even with the fussy one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Butternut squash and red pepper

Ingredients:
    1 large onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    2 medium carrots
    2 medium potatoes
    1 butternut squash
    1 red pepper
    Stock - 2 cubes

Fry up the chopped onions and garlic with a bit of oil. Chop up the pepper and throw it in for a minute. Put in some stock (I use about 1.25 pints of boiling water per stock cube). Throw that in. Cut up the carrots and throw them in. Same with the spuds. Then peel and chop the squash (deseeding it also) and throw that in. Bring to boil and simmer until soft.

Blend with hand blender when soft.

Salt and pepper to taste. Fantastic especially when spicy.

This might be a stupid question but how exactly do you freeze the soup? Do you put loads of it in different containers and then take them out and let them defrost overnight to use the next day?

I have no idea. I usually make a load of soup (like the butternut squash above), leave it in the fridge and eat it for lunch for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I usually freeze individual portions in zippy bags. Take up less space in the freezer or atleast in mine as they fit between other stuff

I usually freeze individual portions in zippy bags. Take up less space in the freezer or atleast in mine as they fit between other stuff

And let it defrost naturally or in the microwave?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I made this at the weekend, and it made either 4 medium, or three "hearty" bowls of soup.

Roast Tomato & Red Pepper Soup
    1kg tomatoes, halved.
    2 good ripe red peppers
    A medium to large onion, peeled and halved
    6 unpeeled garlic cloves
    Salt, pepper and Oregano to season
    Drizzle with olive oil.

Stick all of that into a roasting tin, and into an oven at 200 (Gas Mark 6) for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave them in there for another half hour.

The veg should all be soft, if it's not then leave the heat on for longer.

When the veg is ready, bring 500ml of stock to a boil (I use beef stock for the majority of my tomato based dishes, but chicken or veg stock will be ok too)

Tip the veg, minus the garlic, into the stock, and add
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp red pesto (if this is not available, don't worry, just add more puree, or blend a couple of sundried tomatoes into a paste and use that)
    2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
    you've picked the garlic cloves out of the tomato mix, get them and squeeze the insides from the skin, into the soup.

Bring back to the boil, then allow to cool, and use a hand blender to get it to the consistency you like.

Lovely delicious & filling soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I would let it defrost overnight :)

Obviously home made is better, but what do people reckon is best... Chicken or veg stock cubes? I usually go with the chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Obviously home made is better, but what do people reckon is best... Chicken or veg stock cubes? I usually go with the chicken.

Depends on the soup.

If it was Oxtail soup, I'd use beef stock, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Depends on the quality of the stock cubes. I find most taste overbearingly of salt.

If you find nice ones that have a good flavour and not only of salt, either veg or chicken will do for most things.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Depends on the quality of the stock cubes. I find most taste overbearingly of salt.

If you find nice ones that have a good flavour and not only of salt, either veg or chicken will do for most things.

I'm new to this soup making thing, and have stuck to either Oxo or Knorr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

huskerdu wrote: »

Any you would recommend???? I totally agree with you about the salt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would freeze in individual portions and defrost when needed in the microwave. Always leave it loosely covered, though, don't want too much moisture escaping. Stir frequently.
    gjc wrote: »

I would recommend no stock. I just think they are way too salty.

Just add loads of veg, puree them up and add water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

gjc wrote: »

Never let a chicken leave the house without filling your freezer with more stock, for veg soup, just do as poster above says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would recommend no stock. I just think they are way too salty.

Just add loads of veg, puree them up and add water.

My husband tried that once. It didn't end well. Thankfully he'd also made chocolate biscuit cake.

Advertisement