Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

• 22-02-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

With so many threads popping up about eating out in Waterford, and requests for nice places to go, I figured it might be an idea to have a thread that brings together up to date information about the best of Waterford Restaurants this year. Its a tough time to be running a restaurant or cafe I imagine, but theres a few out there that are still doing a great job.

Personally, I've been to Bodega twice with my wife for early bird in the last few weeks. I had the burger for main course and the chocolate & raspberry dessert. The service was excellent and there was a lovely atmosphere in there. It didn't cost the world either. We kept it to two courses each and with a drink each also came out with change from €50. No complaints here!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boniver

L'atmosphere continues to offer really good cooking at amazing value. If anything I would say that the cooking there has become even stronger recently. That early bird for €20 with a glass of wine cannot be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Get your asses into La Taverna. It's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Had the early bird in La Palma not too long ago.
    Best steak I've had for a long time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

J-Fit wrote: »

+1 €5 for half a pizza and salad during lunch hour - can't go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

boniver wrote: »
    L'atmosphere continues to offer really good cooking at amazing value. If anything I would say that the cooking there has become even stronger recently. That early bird for €20 with a glass of wine cannot be beaten.

J-Fit wrote: »

Any personal experiences though?

I agree about La Taverna alright. I havent had pizza like it anywhere in Ireland. The craic with the Italian lads who run it is brilliant. Where else would you have the chef sitting at the table with you explaining how to make the best carbonara :) The pizza there is lovely. It seems to be a stone oven and the pizzas are really thin. They give them to you on a bread board with a metal scissors. Its a nice experience in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Trotter wrote: »
    Any personal experiences though?

Yep and it was exactly how you described. No more really needs to be said, if you like Italian and all that, just be slightly adventurous and go!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Good idea for a thread, but if there is anyone coming on to slate a particular establishment just for the sake of it, you post will be deleted.

I am all for honest reviews either good or bad, but if you are going to be critical of somewhere, you better be able to back up with actual facts rather that something you heard from somewhere else.

Also, if a particular place does get bad reviews, it might be an option if there is someone connected to the venue registered on boards to come on and address any issues raised, however this is not an invitation to come on and spam your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread, but if there is anyone coming on to slate a particular establishment just for the sake of it, you post will be deleted.

I am all for honest reviews either good or bad, but if you are going to be critical of somewhere, you better be able to back up with actual facts rather that something you heard from somewhere else.

Also, if a particular place does get bad reviews, it might be an option if there is someone connected to the venue registered on boards to come on and address any issues raised, however this is not an invitation to come on and spam your business.

It might also be a good idea to provide links to menus wherever possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

where is good and affordable if you lunch alone? i always end up eating ****e at lunch time cause i don't want to take up tables at the fancier cafes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

Halfway house (between Waterford City and Tramore) offer €5 dinner daily special (fish pie one day, lasagne next, shepherds pie the next etc ) - could not go wrong if you want dinner during the day that won't break the bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Cafe Goa, just had the most amazing meal there. Great value too. They gave us nam breads but we were to stuffed to eat them so they didn't charge us, wrapped them up and told us to Bring them home! That was pretty sound, but me being stupid I left them on the table when we left. While we were walking back down the quay to the car one of the waiters came running down after us! He didn't catch us till near the genral post office! He was wrecked! But what service eh? Ten out of ten for goa.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

becketts (formally orpens) are doing a four course meal including a bottle of wine for €55 a couple. as a veggie i had mushroom bruschetta, and pasta with veg in a creamy garlic sauce, most devine (and i am fussy!!!) dh had seafood chowder, and steak, and cleared the plate. great value, fab helpful staff and good food. i really recommend it for a satisifying night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kilkennygirl

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Emilinaos Italian Reataurant in High Street. Was there last night for the early bird. Food wonderful, best athmosphere in town, even Giovani Trappatoni ate there. Go on give it a go. You have to book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Wongsons formerly Johnny Fan's have an "all you can eat" for €20 offer.

Chez K's have an offer, 4 course meal and bottle of wine for 2 people €55 which I'll be trying later this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 just2

I agree re. the food in Bodega that it is good but as for manners & courtesy....they have NONE. Really it costs nothing. I just called them now enquiring "do you do lunch on Sunday's"...the response was "no we don't do lunch here, but we do it ourselves"....???? I paused not knowing quite what he meant, he then repeated himself and added in "we do have to eat lunch ourselves"!!! WHAT.... I couldn't believe it....how rude was that. I didn't see the funny side at all. Have a booking there for Fri. night coming and am cancelling it. Will also NOT be returning & will continue to spread the word about BODEGA'S RUDENESS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

afaik limeleaf in henrietta street are still doing their 59euro special,four course meal with a bottle of wine per couple,its not a great choice on the menu but the food is fantastic and the service is brill have been there a few times and would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm just back from Chez K's, it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Please post your Saint Patrick's day lunch/dinner experences here...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I eat @ Cafe Harlequin about once a fortnight, and its a mix of eat in and take the food home. I've never been disappointed, it's a tiny menu, but it's all good proper Italian food, made by 2 (hot) Italian guys, and you always feel like you've eaten a good for you meal, even if it's in silver boxes!

I highly recommend the mascarpone chicken and the tortelloni - and the vegetable mix they put through the pasta dishes is just lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

re the complaints made about Bodega, first i have heard of bad service there tbh

is the place on the slide? Frank, the guy who used to run the place now has his own place "Berfranks"

havent been there since, has it gone bad since he left? he was excellent at his job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was in Bodega a couple of months ago, thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

La Boheme is really lovely, food, atmosphere, service, all great - it is however very expersive, so it would have to be a really special occasion.

La Taverna is also good and not to hard on the pocket.

Emillianos used to be my favourite but I wouldn't recommend it anymore, food is still good but the tables are on top of each other. Having to move your chair to let waiters past soon becomes tiring.

Waterford Castle is also fantastic but again its really expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kilkennygirl

Having given up on Dooleys hotel years ago, we decided to go there on Patricks night for dinner. What great value it turned out to be. €19.95 for a 4 course traditional dinner. Good menu, well presented tasty food. Wine priced €19.95 upwards. Great service. Excellent value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Any Japanese or Korean restaurants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The New York Burger place at the park is after adding a good few things to the menu. I had the chicken wings the other night, and some onion rings. Both were lovely. There's a steak sandwich on the menu too that I need to assess purely for the good of this thread. I'm good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 heratio

Went Saturday nite with family to La Taverna after reading the posts here. Was not impressed overpriced meals for cheap cuts of meat from starter to dessert i was in complete shock at the quality of the meals. Think i was giving a bottle of vingear instead of house wine, would not waste my money again............:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Pizzas are lovely in La Tarverna. I was only in there twice but both times I asked for a glass of water the water was warm. First time I was there I got a half pizza (half a 12 inch) and it cost €6.50. I thought a full 12 inch would be €13 but it cost €14.50.

Pizzas in Espresso are also lovely, 9 inch pizza costs about €10 depending on the amount of toppings. Service is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭south

heratio wrote: »
    Went Saturday nite with family to La Taverna after reading the posts here. Was not impressed overpriced meals for cheap cuts of meat from starter to dessert i was in complete shock at the quality of the meals. Think i was giving a bottle of vingear instead of house wine, would not waste my money again............:(

didn't think much of it myself. coldest place i have ever had a meal in. cheap beef used in the meal i had to.

Pizzas are lovely in La Tarverna. I was only in there twice but both times I asked for a glass of water the water was warm. First time I was there I got a half pizza (half a 12 inch) and it cost €6.50. I thought a full 12 inch would be €13 but it cost €14.50.

Pizzas in Espresso are also lovely, 9 inch pizza costs about €10 depending on the amount of toppings. Service is excellent.

Agree totaly with Espresso food was nice it reflected the price, service was great. Ginos in the apple market was always a good place to go have not been there in a while might try it this weekend ice cream was heaven there.....

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    didn't think much of it myself. coldest place i have ever had a meal in. cheap beef used in the meal i had to.

Scarry to think where the meat is from :eek:

Advertisement