Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another insurance rant !

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

cplwhisper wrote: »
    All cars are listed in Groups 1-50 scale

Not true.

Some insurers like FBD have cars groups of 1 to 6.

The groupings also changed for some cars based on driver profile.

For example,what is rated as a group 6 for a 25 year old could be rated as a group 4/5 for a 32 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i didnt want to bring it up again but if i changed my gender to female.........................................

but yeah no its just a 300odd euro drop so it doesnt seem to big there ... will only be about 20 less a month.

and the fact a diesel is cheaper even with an engine more than double the size and a turbo !

Robbie, you really need a reality check here buddy. Put a little more thought into your rants. You do not need to bring sex into this (remember what happened last time).

The idea of changing your car and losing a packet on depreciation is completely ridiculous. You knew what the insurance was going to be like I would assume before buying a civic. It's an underpowered small hatch, but it no doubt is going to have a massive loading because of your age, experience and the badge on the bootlid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

EPM wrote: »
    Robbie, you really need a reality check here buddy. Put a little more thought into your rants. You do not need to bring sex into this (remember what happened last time).

The idea of changing your car and losing a packet on depreciation is completely ridiculous. You knew what the insurance was going to be like I would assume before buying a civic. It's an underpowered small hatch, but it no doubt is going to have a massive loading because of your age, experience and the badge on the bootlid.

okey doke.

at the same time i have to look which would last better and get better econemy on motorway runs. Diesel would be a clear shooter for this no ?

i mean im just ranting that i can get a 2.9 Turbo diesel and have cheaper insurance than a 1.4 petrol civic.

so it would probably be something i have to do in the future anyway of getting a bigger engine diesel car for better econamy etc.

I mean i love my lil civic and i never thought i'd get rid of her but its all about money really with fuel prices etc.

a bigger diesel would come in handy too if i ever wanted to throw it out as a taxi too in a few years (now i dont expect insurance to be cheap here in the slightest)

makes more sense maybe ?

Do you know how much the Tax is on the Kia for the year? It will make up the difference in the insurance easily. You are also going to lose value on your own car.

You mentioned you were getting fantastic MPG overall from your civic - was it 50-odd combined? You wont get that from a big diesel - hell I can only barely get 42 from mine combined. You will get very little more from a 1.9tdi Octavia than what you are getting from the Civic.

You need to sit down and do some sums. Your thinking is very flawed on this one.

Do you know how much the Tax is on the Kia for the year? It will make up the difference in the insurance easily. You are also going to lose value on your own car.

You mentioned you were getting fantastic MPG overall from your civic - was it 50-odd combined? You wont get that from a big diesel - hell I can only barely get 42 from mine combined. You will get very little more from a 1.9tdi Octavia than what you are getting from the Civic.

You need to sit down and do some sums. Your thinking is very flawed on this one.

at the moment my civic is on 46.8mpg.
    i just want to take into account of 1.60.9 a litre !

i get that because i do sensible driving, i feel how hard i press the pedal etc. but on the motorway coming from dun laoire going up northband up that hill my car slows down even with foot flat down.

so i want to use the theory that a small petrol engine needs more petrol to get it going, like the peugeot 206 1.1 against a 1.9 tdi not struggling and not needing much power at all to keep it at speed.

Save a few hundred on insurance and diesel being cheaper too. In the long run maybe better value to do it ?

for my commute to work etc. i use €30 a week of petrol.

• Advertisement

You might save a fiver a week on fuel but only with the 1.9tdi.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Seriously man you're getting great mpg. Getting a high miler tdi doesn't make any sense to me tbh.

You might save a fiver a week on fuel but only with the 1.9tdi.

but i'd also save a few hundred a year on insurance too.

then in the future if i wanted to push it out as a taxi that could be done too rahter than buy another car again ?

I just put it down that my civic is putting me €30 a week and 175 a month

so grand total a month for my car is €295. tax a year €330

so if i went with an octavia just for example then that a month would drop and the little savings will all add up.

Extra motor tax.

Less reliable car.

The cost to change the civic - you are ignoring this but you are going to lose money.

If you want to change your car, then that's fine and best of luck with it. But if you're changing to save money I can't see that happening too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Tax on a 2.9l engine will probably be at €1000 more than what you're paying at the moment.

€5/week saving on fuel = €260/year.

So minimum you need to save on insurance would be €740.

Then you factor in increased depreciation, cost to change, maintenance etc. Can't see you saving money on this one!

• Advertisement

Extra motor tax.

Less reliable car.

The cost to change the civic - you are ignoring this but you are going to lose money.

If you want to change your car, then that's fine and best of luck with it. But if you're changing to save money I can't see that happening too easily.

The cost to change the civic. i know that i am going to lose a bit with depreciation and all that, but that was going to happen anyway, i lost money on that the minuete the log book was sent away so i dont mind too much losing a bit on that.

reliability - i was only using the octavia as an example, not to say i will or wont get one but ofcourse there'll be a good bit of shopping around and comparing and quotes etc.

i dont expect to see a load a money in my bank account just by doing this but there will be savings made over the space of a few months and i'd notice that extra €30 in my pocket etc.

dont worry, im not ignoring what you guys are saying. :)

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Tax on a 2.9l engine will probably be at €1000 more than what you're paying at the moment.

€5/week saving on fuel = €260/year.

So minimum you need to save on insurance would be €740.

Then you factor in increased depreciation, cost to change, maintenance etc. Can't see you saving money on this one!

i did only use the sedona as a laugh on the insurance site but funny enough you can pick up a good sedona for €2K

but i know massive tax on that.

insurance on that as apposed to my civic is €300 cheaper

Advertisement