Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

• 26-04-2012 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

73.giferc11-heineken-logo.gif20.gif

Clermont Auvergne: TBA

Leinster: TBA

It's semi final time again and as always the Heineken Cup has lived up to it's great reputation. An absolutely mouth watering clash awaits both of these teams in Stade Chaban Delmas, Bordeaux. As the designated home team Clermont have a distinct advantage with a huge number of their fans expected to travel to see their team compete in it's first ERC semi final. They won't have it all their own way though as it's expected that the number of Leinster fans, making the trek to French south-west, will be in the thousands.

Both teams are now considered heavy weights of the European game, yet Clermont have failed up to this year to really make a mark in the prestigious tournament. Most notably it is Leinster who have been the cause of their demise for the past two seasons, knocking them out at the quarter final stages two years and ago, and qualifying ahead of them from their group last year. While this may look to make Leinster keen favourites, not many fans will forget just how close Leinster came from being defeated in their own backyard in the quarter final two years ago. An epic battle awaits both sets of players.

Generals:
    220px-Morgan_Parra.jpgJonnySextonLeinMunSB.jpg

Calls on how the team play and when they move the ball falls largely on each teams half-back general. In Morgan Parra Clermont have the top European scrum-half. Always talking, making his forwards work hard, this Frenchman was born to play rugby. His kicking from hand or off the tee is hard to fault and his superb passing and breaking skills make him an absolute nightmare to play against. Likewise, Leinster will be relying on Jonathan Sexton, their star number 10, to control their game. Not afraid to speak his mind during a game he'll be demanding the ball from his half-back partner once the team starts moving forward. His own running game makes him as much of a threat with the ball as his passing it. Both players can get a little caught up in the heat of the moment, but at this level you've got to keep your head for the whole 80 minutes. Expect both to play a huge roll in the outcome of this game.

Master or the Pretender:
    Wesley_Fofana_2100570b.jpgSNE2538W---532_1496383a.jpg

Depending upon selections, this weekend we'll get to see what should be a fantastic clash between the ever present Brian O'Driscoll and young, brilliant Wesley Fofana. Many an up and coming centre who has had stardom waiting for him has be dumped back down to earth by the talismanic Irish 13. Having missed the 6 nations through injury O'Driscoll missed his chance to line out against the headline winning Fofana, who had a sensational tournament himself, scoring 4 tries in his first 4 games for France. His fortuitous try against Ireland still sticks out as a sore point for many Irish fans. Would he have been as fortunate had O'Driscoll been on the pitch?

Grunt up Front:
    kFt1G.jpg

As always in rugby, the real battle will begin in the forwards. These two teams have top class tight fives and dynamic, harding running backrowers that most other teams would kill for. The spotlight will be stolen by the clash of ex-Leinster player Nathan Hines and All Black, World Cup winning lock, Brad Thorn. Hard, physical games are what these players want and they usually get just that. Expect absolutely no holds barred when these two packs meet, I know I'll be bracing myself for the first collision.

As tight a game as there's been in years. Neither team has obvious faults. It's totally 50:50 going into it but being a proud Leinster supporter, I'll have to go with Leinster to win by 6.

----

I've taken pictures from various sites. Hopefully there's no issue with them but let me know and I'll take them down or credit them properly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

So hard to call

Best team in the competiton but they're coming up against the second best at home

Hopefully Leinster edge it to set up an all Irish final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Home advantage to see Clermont through I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I do think Leinster's experience will help, the whole team has been there and done it (twice in most cases). I don't think they will be intimidated by the occasion, whereas a HEC win would probably be more significant for Clermont.

Still, these are top quality players, and litteraly anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The news of Nacewa re-signing will be a great boost to everyone. Can't wait for this classic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

The news of Nacewa re-signing will be a great boost to everyone. Can't wait for this classic now.
    He has!! Where can I find this wonderful news??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Explain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭fitz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Great news about Nacewa. Really looking forward to this clash as well. Gonna be one of the epic battle of a Heineken Cup which has been great this year. Some great battles went on.

Leinster by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Leinster by a shred. I think it'll come down to kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This is going to be ****ing epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

I'm going to be in London for this. Was selfishly cheering Sarries on the quarters with the hope of being at it live as a result.

Where should I be going to see the game? Will be staying around the Clapham area...

I'm horribly nervous. I love/hate playing Clermont, they're a fearless team, and not afraid to play positive rugby. It's going to be a tough slog for whomever comes out of this one!

I waver between believing we'll do it and wondering if Clermont in France is a step too far.
    This, without doubt, is the closest and most competitive clash of the whole tournament this year. Either side could do it.

Gut-wrenchingly nervous, but if we win...I think whoever takes this is going to be unstoppable in the final.

emmet02 wrote: »
    I'm going to be in London for this. Was selfishly cheering Sarries on the quarters with the hope of being at it live as a result.

Where should I be going to see the game? Will be staying around the Clapham area...

I'm horribly nervous. I love/hate playing Clermont, they're a fearless team, and not afraid to play positive rugby. It's going to be a tough slog for whomever comes out of this one!

This. They're not unlike Leinster in that regard, and that's what makes me so nervy.

They're also fierce competitors, with an amazing set of fans (perhaps some of the best anywhere imo), so as an occassion, this really is going to be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

on paper there's very little between the teams, if anything we're playing the better rugby while they have a stronger squad. My fear is the memories of their painful defeat to us 2 years ago will motivate them to a slight 3-5 point victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

emmet02 wrote: »

If you want to head into Covent garden the porterhouse there is as good as you'll get. OLSCs base in London. I would be there myself but I'm going to a christening.

I don't know how long christenings take, but if it overlaps with my religion ill be straight up out of there. I have to find a rugby pub in Essex which will be a challenge I'd imagine...

Cmon you boys in blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

So nervous about this one....and equally...so excited!

Images of teh last big Leinster v Clermont Match keep on popping into my head. And although we won that one it was sooooo close.....

At the worst...will get to watch the match with my 7 year old (fast becomming a serious Leinster Fan :) ).

At the best.....the sky's the limit!

Be interesting to see ho Schmitt calls it team wise.

COME ON LEINSTER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Heading off first thing Sat morning for this, long way round to save a few quid for a glass or two of vin rouge. Real trains, planes and automobiles sort of job!

Can't wait now, promises to be an epic game, classic in the making. Nervous and excited in equal measure, reckon Leinster's experience to shade it by a close margin.

C'mon Leinster!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I am about 60:40 that Leinster will win this. Reigning champions, no injuries, team full of leaders. Whats more-they look incredibly hungry to do back to back titles. No it won't be easy-in fact it will be incredibly hard. But Clermont's home advantage is somewhat negated by not playing at their home stadium, they are unproven at this stage (they bottled it in the quarters two years ago) and have injury problems. There has been nothing from the Leinster camp all week (save for a small Sexton interview)-they have been in lock-down whereas Clermont have been all over the press talking up Leinster etc. Leinster won't be buying this, won't underestimate them and have the amoury and bench to run out five point winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

tumblr_lblsalFFyU1qbb7dio1_500.gif

This is how I have been feeling this week. So excited for this match, gonna be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Think Leinster will do it myself, its about as tough a challenge as you could get but I dont think the players would have it any other way, a win in an away semi in France is something seldom achieved and I think its the type of test this group of players will crave considering how succesful they've been in recent years. If they go on to win the tournament after such a difficult draw they should rightly be considered the finest side in the history of the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

will Para be on kicking duties?
    there are so many great match ups all over the field.
    i haven't looked forward to a game so much since the world cup:(
    C'mon Leinster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

will Para be on kicking duties?
    there are so many great match ups all over the field.
    i haven't looked forward to a game so much since the world cup:(
    C'mon Leinster!!

Ew, you looked forward to games in the World Cup? :confused:

Joking...

Can't wait for this, also flying out early saturday, already a bag of nerves... I wouldn't dare call the result, the teams are so evenly matched it could go either way, and we'll just have to see what team plays on the day. I hope that Leinster keep their work ethos mentality into this game, and show the strength and cool-headedness that they showed in last years final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

That sneaky little tosser really talented player Parra will kick everything. If we go a couple of scores behind there'll be no coming back this time, and I think the team's lack of a really serious examination this season could be crucial, notwithstanding the experience they have. This is the only game this season where I honestly think they stand a better than even chance of losing. This what my head tells me, but my heart hopes for something different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Very worried by the fact that Wayne Barnes is the ref.
    Irish teams generally come out on the losing side when he's involved and even more so away from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

ASM Cleremont by 5+ points.

Though I pray I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The prospect of this game is loosening my stools to a worrying degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Hippo wrote: »
    That sneaky little tosser really talented player Parra will kick everything. If we go a couple of scores behind there'll be no coming back this time, and I think the team's lack of a really serious examination this season could be crucial, notwithstanding the experience they have. This is the only game this season where I honestly think they stand a better than even chance of losing. This what my head tells me, but my heart hopes for something different!

Parra won't be kicking, James will be the man tasked with that job, lets just hope he has a repeat of the 1/4 two years ago in the RDS!

While it is an away semi the fact it is not being played in a ground Clermont are regulars in will negate some of the home semi factor. Really think Leinsters pedigree will shine through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Leinster could not have a got a tougher assignment in the semis. That Clermont team are littered with some hard nosed characters in addition to some fine rugby players!

Felexicon wrote: »
    Very worried by the fact that Wayne Barnes is the ref.
    Irish teams generally come out on the losing side when he's involved and even more so away from home

My brain had blocked out the fact that Barnes was reffing.
    This reminder has not helped my confidence levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Parra won't be kicking, James will be the man tasked with that job, lets just hope he has a repeat of the 1/4 two years ago in the RDS!

While it is an away semi the fact it is not being played in a ground Clermont are regulars in will negate some of the home semi factor. Really think Leinsters pedigree will shine through in the end.

Interesting. Para kicked when they played in Dec '10. James kicks ahead of Para in Top 14?

Advertisement