Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Is there a coin fair in the RDS this year??

There's 3 every year, usually Feb, April & Oct. Next one is:

Irish International Coin & Banknote Fair
    RDS, Ballsbridge, Anglesea Rd. entrance
    Sat & Sun 19th & 20th February 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kahu

I have the following. Any value?

1940 Irish floirin
    1951 schilling
    1988 irish millenium 50p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 foxtrot1983

Blade wrote: »

Hi, at this fair do they also have callcard dealers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

kahu wrote: »
    I have the following. Any value?

1940 Irish floirin
    1951 schilling
    1988 irish millenium 50p

No, sorry.

Hi, at this fair do they also have callcard dealers?

Not that I know of, some of the dealers do have general collectibles and may have callcards but I've never noticed any. Main items would be coins/medals, stamps & postcards. There may be callcards but I honestly have not looked out for them, I've seen things like cigarette cards etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 htluv

Can you please tell me where can I find more details about upcoming event in Dublin that should be held on 19th and 20th February? Thanks.

htluv wrote: »
    Can you please tell me where can I find more details about upcoming event in Dublin that should be held on 19th and 20th February? Thanks.

Sorry no, there's nowhere that I know of which has any more details. I'm not sure what more details you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chopper71

Does anyone know if there is a coin auction at the coin fair tomorrow ?

Thanks

Chopper71 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a coin auction at the coin fair tomorrow ?

Thanks

No, they don't have auctions at the coin fair, next auction is at Herman & Wilkinson Wed. 20th April, viewing from Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kayla1

hi there could anyone tell me the value of a coin floreat rex looks like picture st partrick one side cant make out date even anything about coin

• Advertisement

kayla1 wrote: »
    hi there could anyone tell me the value of a coin floreat rex looks like picture st partrick one side cant make out date even anything about coin

You can't tell a value without pictures, it's all about condition. But what you're asking about is known as a St.Patrick / New Jersey or Mark Newby penny or farthing. It's an Irish token that was exported to New Jersey by Mark Newby where there was a shortage of coinage around 1680. They can be quite valuable in good condition on the American market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kayla1

thanks blade

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irisheyez

I have an old collection of coins passed on from the grandparents; times are hard and wondered if anyone could help. best towards the end.

1950 australia penny georivs
    1946 one penny georgivs
    1938 one penny georgivs
    1927 one pennygeorgivs (with beard)
    1921 one penny
    1900 one penny
    1871 one penny victoria
    1807 george 111 x 2
    1769 georgivs 111 rex
    1749 georgivs 11
    1681 carolivs 11 dei gratia
    also a very old coin with the head very visible but stamped with two letters IM or WI.

any help would be appreciated, I also have others that are very old but sadly seem beyond being legible.

thank you for your help.

irisheyez wrote: »
    I have an old collection of coins passed on from the grandparents; times are hard and wondered if anyone could help. best towards the end.

1950 australia penny georivs
    1946 one penny georgivs
    1938 one penny georgivs
    1927 one pennygeorgivs (with beard)
    1921 one penny
    1900 one penny
    1871 one penny victoria
    1807 george 111 x 2
    1769 georgivs 111 rex
    1749 georgivs 11
    1681 carolivs 11 dei gratia
    also a very old coin with the head very visible but stamped with two letters IM or WI.

any help would be appreciated, I also have others that are very old but sadly seem beyond being legible.

thank you for your help.

It's impossible to value coins without seeing them as condition is everything. Unless these coins are in very good condition with very little wear on them, then I'm afraid you have nothing there of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irisheyez

thanks Blade

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

Guys, some interesting items coming up in Whytes Auction this Friday, lots of Ploughmans including a few Ploughman 10 Pound notes. There is also a War Code 20! First one to hit an auction in about 15 years.
    Should be an interesting sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hardtoplease

i have two american ten dollar coins one 1909 the other 1913, both plain, and in very good condition. any idea what they are worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

I thought I heard something recently about 1992 Irish 10p coins being valuable. Anyone know if this is true? I know someone who thinks they have one ....

DG Leixlip wrote: »
    I thought I heard something recently about 1992 Irish 10p coins being valuable. Anyone know if this is true? I know someone who thinks they have one ....

The smaller size 10p was minted from 1993 so in 1992 they minted a handful to test phone booths etc. Much as what happened with the 1985 20p. However it's extremely doubtful the person you know has one, there's only 2 recorded. If I had a tenner for every time someone said to me "I think I have one of those"............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MW2 CRAZY

Hi Guys i have just been giving about 350 old coins All English.

There are:

Old English pennies dates from - 1903 - 1967 -About 150 of them

Threepence's (Brass) dates 1937-1960s - About 200 of them

Half Pennies dates 1950s - About 5 of them

Wondering the best place in Ireland to get them Valued or sell them?

I have been looking around and on some sites these coins can be going from 4-500each depending on condition and date.

These coins Condition are Mixed some are good some are worn.

Any help where to sell or get them Valued Much Appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

MW2 CRAZY wrote: »
    Any help where to sell or get them Valued Much Appreciated
    You could have a look here

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/

An update on banknote values:
    People were asking on the values of Ploughman £10 notes.
    In auction lately three common £10 notes were up. Two fetched slightly over Euro 2,000 each including fees.
    In general prices for Ploughman notes were weak.

Incidentally there was also a war code £20 on offer. It fetched 6000 plus fees. Rather a lot, and more than double what I would consider it to be worth. Normal bidders stopped at about 3.5k. Two rich men fought over it thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

How much is a sealed, 1966 commemorative P. Pearse coin worth? Perfect condition.

dlofnep wrote: »
    How much is a sealed, 1966 commemorative P. Pearse coin worth? Perfect condition.

The coin itself is worth around 25 Euro, after that depends what box it's in and what that's worth.

If it's the proof coin in it's original box it's worth around 60. But they weren't sealed so I doubt that's what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Szarik102 wrote: »
    Normal bidders stopped at about 3.5k. Two rich men fought over it thereafter.

To quote Prince, a man known to like collecting guitars:

"The dream we all dream of" :)

Edit: Check this out for borderline collect-o-mania:

http://worldfamousdesignjunkies.com/blessings/25-years-of-purple-rain-a-collection-of-princes-guitars/

Back on topic:
    I find tathat guy in the George;'s Street arcade very expensive.

50 cent per coin from the "nothing special tray"general is a bit much in this day and age, to be honest.

He has got a lovely American 1932 "S" Quarter in his display case though.

The guy in Cathedral street does a 500g bag of mixed coins for
    €10. He has nice uncirculated sets of modern coins, I got 3 lovely
    shiny Iraqi coins for €2.50 The middle-eastern countries always have such ornate small value coins. :)

The guy in the Powerscourt Town centre is very nice, he spent
    a good 15 minutes with me going through his trays. He had a
    big piece of that Swedish plate-money for sale.

I find tathat guy in the George;'s Street arcade very expensive.

There's 2 dealers in that arcade, at least there was last time I was there. I always found Tony great to deal with.

There's 2 dealers in that arcade
    @Blade
    Just one now I believe. Bygones is gone now.

@barneysplash
    Many of the items in the nothing special Dip Trays are likely to have been costed at zero or face value by the time they end up there, so generally any dealer with such trays will be open to bargaining on their contents, provided the buyer is interested in buying a significant quantity that is ;)

Who is the coin man in the Powerscourt Town centre?
    Haven't been in there in a while.

He is a French man, he has a place about halfway down the antiques/
    jewellery corridor. He has all sorts of nice antiques and Lindner trays
    under the counter.

Anyone know of any other small shops with a coin tray or anything,
    I'm desperate for new finds! :)

• Advertisement

Ah, I think I know him alright.
    Haven't been to the shop though.

I don't know of anything else in Dublin.
    The October Fair is probably the nearest next chance to find new stuff.

Advertisement