Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dress Rehearsal

Plan: 14 miles at 7:45 min/mile

Coach was very specific about the terms of today's run, from the pace he specified (a bit faster than MP due to inefficiencies on the course) to clothing and food consumption leading up to this session - this was to simulate everything race day. So.....in my pursuit to deliver best I could on that order, here is my report...

I was supposed to have put down 8 miles easy the day before to tire the legs for today's run, but as mentioned yesterday, I had a dear friend in from out of town who needed a little attention so I made the decision to tire these legs out in other ways so I would not be giving myself an unfair advantage for this 14 mile run. What other ways did I tire these legs out, you ask? Well, a bit of pool time plus the two of us explored old haunts neither of us had explored in a long time. Yesterday was pretty much go-go-go all day long....but it was fun and worth sacrificing the structured run for a of bit of creative sightseeing that definitely achieved the fatigue goal. A little distraction and variety can be good for the soul. Whoop whoop! ;):)

Food...well...dinner last night may not have totally mimicked the actual meal I'll be eating the night before the race, but it was what it was, and that was a hamburger and fries. :rolleyes: Breakfast this morning was my usual Honey Nut Cheerios with whole milk, a banana and a glass of orange juice with ice. Weight this morning is down to 107 pounds. I'd like to rock it to the start line at 108, so I'm pretty much on target with my taper coming. About 15 minutes before I got this session going I downed 3 shot bloks, cranked Seether on my iPod and got a little jiggy with it to get me in the right mindset, then set sail at the approximate time my wave will be ushered on, 10:20/30ish am. Oh, and I wore my uber fast (at least in my mind they are fast) racing gear - race day runners, best tights, top, jacket, hat, gloves, and even undergarments. ;) Game face was on.

I was supposed to try and pick a route that resembles Boston and I did the best I could. I felt the most important element of the route should be some beefy hills at or after the halfway point coupled with decent downhills. It worked out that the toughest uphills were miles 7 and 8, and the craziest downhill was mile 9. I carried a bottle of water (could't really stash bottles along the course) and had 3 more bloks in my pocket....both of which (the water and bloks) were consumed on the fly, thus there were no interruptions on this run.

I'm not going to elaborate much more other than to say that I felt fine throughout this run. I started too fast, but sincerely tried to ease it in and be disciplined. My out of town friend made an astute observation when we were chatting about my issue with going out too fast that made perfect sense. He said that it probably stems from me being a sprinter in my swimming days. Brilliant!! Wow. He may struggle a bit with swimming (oh, did I mention he slaps his hand when it enters the water? can't remember if it was his right or left...), but he's pretty observant and keen about certain things. :)

Splits:
    7:27, 7:35, 7:35, 7:37, 7:38, 7:42, 7:35
    7:50, 7:39, 7:35, 7:42, 7:38, 7:41, 7:38

Actual: 14 miles in 1:47:00 for an average pace of 7:38 min/mile...followed by a cool down of 1.17 miles in 10:10.35 for an average pace of 8:40 min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^Great running Dory! And a very astute observation from your friend- this guy comments on your pace, has no kick, and hand slaps the water? I like him already...;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    ^Great running Dory! And a very astute observation from your friend- this guy comments on your pace, has no kick, and hand slaps the water? I like him already...;)

Thanks Kurt! :D

And yes...my friend...you would love him! He's class in every respect - I think I've known him forever. He's pretty understated, though, so not everyone (including himself) fully appreciates how amazing he is...but a pure joy to be around. Nice to have friends like that. ;) Oh...but regarding that pesky hand slap issue....having difficulty correcting that one. Maybe interested can chime in with a drill or perhaps a Youtube video I can pass along to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

If he hasn't seen it already you should put your friend onto swimsmooth.com. There are also good drills on http://www.feelforthewater.com for most swimming issues.

griffin100 wrote: »
    If he hasn't seen it already you should put your friend onto swimsmooth.com. There are also good drills on http://www.feelforthewater.com for most swimming issues.

Thanks Griffin! I'll pass this on to him and If he worries his pretty little head with this I'll let you know. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    RQ!! :D Hey there! Truth is, spring hasn't really arrived here either....but it must be around the corner. Must be.....

My goal time has always been a sub 3:30 - I have failed twice to deliver it (Catweazle's stinging reminder still echoes in my head) so we'll see what happens in three weeks. All I can say is, I've put in some honest training and this will be my best shot. Awesome 10 mile run you had. Well done you! :)

Thanks, but, I can do better ;)

Sub 3:30 should be easy peasy for you. Boston course is, weather dependant, a course for fast times. Once you get the 3:30 monkey off your back you'll smash it next time. If you don't smash it this time of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Hey there! :) Hips....basically you probably need to work on your kick to get the lower body higher...and also be conscious of your hip position by being aware of where it is in the water. There are a few other tricks you'll hear/read about....and check that your head is not too high....but it's probably more about the kick than anything else.

Boston - thanks. How is yours going? Aiming for sub 3?? Will be good to see you and the missus there. :D

Thanks for the tips, now I know what to concentrate on now. :D

Training has been going reasonably well, a few short setbacks but have got a good bit of work done. Sub 3 will be difficult but definitely going to give it a go. Certain things on the day will be out of our control so will take what is thrown at us. Looking forward to catching up with you there!

Thanks for the tips, now I know what to concentrate on now. :D

Training has been going reasonably well, a few short setbacks but have got a good bit of work done. Sub 3 will be difficult but definitely going to give it a go. Certain things on the day will be out of our control so will take what is thrown at us. Looking forward to catching up with you there!

I know the results you post when you have setbacks..... ;)

And really looking forward to catching up with you there as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

This time 3 weeks:D Woo Hoo!
    I'm getting very excited for you DD, you have worked so hard and it's really beginning to show.
    And if that wasn't exciting enough I think I read earlier that you are running DCM:D Hooray! When the dust settles after Boston we'll start planning your Dublin visit.

Keep up the good work:D
    PS as much as I'm impressed with your training I'm even more impressed with your sugar-abstinence, HOLY MERDE! I really think you should be allowed some sugar after Boston

Three weeks of taper starts today....feeling sorry for myself....

Sh!t, I gave some darn good taper advice over on the jogging forum and got the head eaten off me for it, may as well try it on someone with a sunny disposition:)

Do you feel wrecked now from all the hard work? Still a fair bit more to go Dory, three weeks of lessening distance, but the intensity doesn't drop... keep your head up high and look back over your log, some really great training put in there over the last few months. You've got all the ingredients in place for a great marathon omelette, these three weeks are about adding the spices... don't take your eye off the pot now, (feeling sorry for yourself), there's still a fair amount of work to do. Keep that doubt etc. for the night before the race (good decent adrenaline), it'll all be forgotten once you show us that 3:2x finishing time (finger lingered over the 1 button before meandering right...;))

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sh!t, I gave some darn good taper advice over on the jogging forum and got the head eaten off me for it, may as well try it on someone with a sunny disposition:)

Do you feel wrecked now from all the hard work? Still a fair bit more to go Dory, three weeks of lessening distance, but the intensity doesn't drop... keep your head up high and look back over your log, some really great training put in there over the last few months. You've got all the ingredients in place for a great marathon omelette, these three weeks are about adding the spices... don't take your eye off the pot now, (feeling sorry for yourself), there's still a fair amount of work to do. Keep that doubt etc. for the night before the race (good decent adrenaline), it'll all be forgotten once you show us that 3:2x finishing time (finger lingered over the 1 button before meandering right...;))

Aw Kurt, thanks. :D But the pity party is not because I feel wrecked (because I don't)...it's more the emotional let down of knowing the end of something is near. No worries regarding taking my eye off of the pot (because I won't)...and there are no doubts in this mind (except that bit about your finger lingering over the 1 button :eek: ;)). It's all good....just a low point today drenched in deep thought.....a fleeting feeling, that's all. I will embrace the quality sessions yet to come and add those spices with zest and zeal. Thanks for perking me up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

...it's more the emotional let down of knowing the end of something is near .....

No, no, no, no ... and NO.

Every race/event is a stepping stone to the next race/event. Your not coming to the end your completing a step towards the the goal. There is no "end".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moth_and_the_Star

<consolidating several threads>
    t's more the emotional let down of knowing the end of something is near.

If that's all it is, then you are saved. That imaginary taper finish line hasn't been reached yet. Three weeks to go doesn't mean anything but the milage is going to gradually decrease. Intensity (work) is still there to be done, so drag yourself out of any existential funk and focus on getting quality into the next 10-14 days of sessions.

Then, soon, the glorious end of marathon training, marked by a fantastic Boston experience... and the beginning of the "Hey Dory how do I swim better..." Q&A that has become our April-October rite of passage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Trying to avoid this, Kurt's and Marthastew's logs as you are all humming. I'm still weeks from any training :mad: Happy tapering hoochiedoubleD!

Trying to avoid this, Kurt's and Marthastew's logs as you are all humming. I'm still weeks from any training :mad: Happy tapering hoochiedoubleD!

Tell you what Mike- I had a year+ on the sidelines with injury and its a pain in the feckin' ass and you think you'll never see fitness again and you sort of hate reading others logs... but that'll pass, and you'll be back at the coalface soon enough with huge enthusiasm, and that's worth it. And if you keep oiling your wetsuit, and I can figure out how to kick my legs, we might just have that race in GdaL to look forward to;). And then you can come home first in Dublin under 3 hours, MS and DD can fight each other for 2nd and 3rd, and you can all wait for me to join ye in a pub and we'll raise a glass to life:)

@ pgmcpq...."the dreamy, unrealistic young moth...."??? I AM THAT MOTH!!! Well, except for that young part. ;) Super little story that will keep me optimistically flying higher and higher to that star. :D

@ Kurt...tonight was the first Monday of the entire plan that was an "off" day, so it rocked my world a little, but the funk has been dragged out if me and I'm going to enjoy this last phase of training in my trademark whoop whoop style. ;) And...raise a glass to life post-DCM? You don't have to ask me twice! :D

@ shotgun...chin up....take your time healing....and look forward to a sub 3 DCM followed by the post race sugar and spirit indulgence that's being organized by Kurt. ;):D

@ Marthastew...HOLY MERDE to you....you ultra babe, you! We'll wait until after you take London by storm and wow them with your running prowess to talk Dublin. Cannot wait to travel back to Ireland and participate in this special marathon with all you fine peeps. :D

Taper, Day One. :eek:

Plan: off

Off?? :confused: Whah???? Nothing?? Zip? Zilch? Nada?? This sort of freaked me out today.....but then I was gently and lovingly descended on by a few of my friends here who reminded me of a few crucial details and...oh, snap!....I am so over the pity party that was boring me to tears. It's history baby. Nothing but sun-shiney days, star chasing and out-of-my-skin excitement for the next 3 weeks. Plus, it didn't hurt my much needed attitude adjustment that there was a Boston race packet waiting for me in the mailbox when I arrived home tonight. Good stuff. :)

Any way....was supposed to have been a physio evening, but I binned that tonight. Didn't feel like it, besides I need to wean him off me and my money. However, that left me looking at an entire evening of nothingness, a concept that is quite hard for this gal to stomach....so, a little downward facing dog action followed by a few warrior IIs and one spectacular plow into a shoulder stand was whipped out of my back pocket. In other words, 40 minutes of yoga was my evening filler....followed by a side order of 400 sit-ups done in a variety of ways. House kitties, Butler and Norris, were in rare form hogging sharing my yoga mat with me....and to my delight, they both busted a few really awesomely limber moves that totally put my flexibility to shame. ;):D

Actual: 40 minutes of yoga followed by ab work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

followed by a side order of 400 sit-ups done in a variety of ways
    You're joking, right? I struggle through two sets of 20 a couple of times a week. Enjoy the taper. My brain is itching, and I'm still a week from taper. Time to start picking up those old hobbies like reading and spring cleaning. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I used to do mega sets of situps, till someone who would know advised there were much better core exercises I could do with my time.

You're joking, right? I struggle through two sets of 20 a couple of times a week. Enjoy the taper. My brain is itching, and I'm still a week from taper. Time to start picking up those old hobbies like reading and spring cleaning. :)

Not joking, but you'd never know it from the looks of my abs. UGH!! :( I have a routine of 3 sets of 100s (3 types with each set - 20, 40, 40)...then do 100 straight on a big old medicine ball.
    Oryx wrote: »
    I used to do mega sets of situps, till someone who would know advised there were much better core exercises I could do with my time.

Yeah, I can think of a few other core exercises I'd rather do with my time too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

A lot of runners could benefit from cross training with some swimming from time to time to improve core strength.

Good luck with Boston !

;)

Dory, one of us has a dirty mind. I really dont think its me, because I was thinking of russian twists, planks, getups, supermans and all kinds of other stuff. Heaven knows what kind of thing you were thinking of. A superman of another sort, maybe!

interested wrote: »
    A lot of runners could benefit from cross training with some swimming from time to time to improve core strength.

Good luck with Boston !

;)

Hey.....it's the smart-arsed legend himself!! And while I have your attention....i have this friend who slap his hand on the water at entry. Any suggestions? ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Hey.....it's the smart-arsed legend himself!! And while I have your attention....i have this friend who slap his hand on the water at entry. Any suggestions? ;):)

Just read that now. I was wondering why he had a runner coaching him how to swim ? but hey ... ;) as you put it ... a friend in need and all.

A 'smart arse' definitely ... a legend ? hardly, but then you were probably being smart ;)

Dory, one of us has a dirty mind. I really dont think its me, because I was thinking of russian twists, planks, getups, supermans and all kinds of other stuff. Heaven knows what kind of thing you were thinking of. A superman of another sort, maybe!

Let's see....moderator of sex and sexuality and speaks fluently of russian twists, getups and supermans. Right, so.... ;);)
    interested wrote: »
    Just read that now. I was wondering why he had a runner coaching him how to swim ? but hey ... ;) as you put it ... a friend in need and all.

A 'smart arse' definitely ... a legend ? hardly, but then you were probably being smart ;)

Darling, it's like being born Catholic - once a swimmer always a swimmer. Which reminds me, how is your running going?? You haven't ignored it completely have you? Great enhancement to your endurance, running and all. Rhythm, cadence, breathing....for long periods at a time....will certainly benefit you while in the water. Let me know if you need a running coach - I'll have a little time on my hands in a few weeks. Perhaps we can build you up to DCM shape. Heck, I'll even take care of the entry fee for you AND be more than delighted to pace you there. A friend in need and all.... ;):D

I also mod paranormal, but I aint fraid of no ghost! Situps are the missionary position of fitness. Plenty of better ways to do it.

I know who you were thinking of btw. ;)

I also mod paranormal, but I aint fraid of no ghost! Situps are the missionary position of fitness. Plenty of better ways to do it.

I know who you were thinking of btw. ;)

But have you ever tried it on a bouncy medicine ball? ;)

(And you know who i was thinking of?? Really?? Shhhhh.... ;))

But have you ever tried it on a bouncy medicine ball? ;)

(And you know who i was thinking of?? Really?? Shhhhh.... ;))
    Course. Im psychic. And there could be only one...

Ugh bouncy medicine balls bring back horrid memories I wont share. :cool:

Course. Im psychic. And there could be only one...

Ugh bouncy medicine balls bring back horrid memories I wont share. :cool:

And i've got one about a stairwell....but we can swap those kinds of stories after a few pints in October. ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

only catching up now (a lot of reading:D)
    you are truly set for it , just enjoy your taper

Advertisement