Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What cable to connect telly to laptop?

• 10-01-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks.

I have an LG 42P J350 telly, I want to connect it to my Sony Vaio laptop so I can play movies off the laptop on the telly.

Just want basic connection. Don't really care about the intricacies of different types of sound, etc.

What sort of cable do I need to do this?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

PS - My flatmate has a MacBook pro - would I need an extra cable to connect that to telly, since it doesn't have an RGB or HDMI port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hi folks.

I have an LG 42P J350 telly, I want to connect it to my Sony Vaio laptop so I can play movies off the laptop on the telly.

Just want basic connection. Don't really care about the intricacies of different types of sound, etc.

What sort of cable do I need to do this?

Thank you!

If the laptop has a hdmi port and the telly has a hdmi port youll get a hdmi cable for less than a tenner thatll do the trick - dont get fooled into going for the ones with the goldplated connections etc... this is all rubbish, just a basic hdmi cable is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

What outputs does your laptop have? The easiest option would be a S-Video to RCA cable. If the Laptop has a HDMI output and you TV has a HDMI input then a simple HDMI cable will do.

Short of those 2 options, you will not get it to work for an economical price.

Macs aren't compatible with anything and thus require an adaptor.

The VGA output on laptops normally doesn't support TV out function.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

This is the S Vid to RCA cable: 5FT-4-PIN-S-VIDEO-to-3-RCA-TV-ma.jpg

Should run you about €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

PS - My flatmate has a MacBook pro - would I need an extra cable to connect that to telly, since it doesn't have an RGB or HDMI port?

If its a recent unibody model it will have a Mini Display Port.

You can get a Mini Display Port - HDMI adapter for a tenner on amazon and another tenner will get you a 1m HDMI cable.

If its an older MBP, I'm not sure, but it probably has DVI. You can get a DVI-HDMI cable like this.

Both of these connections will only give you video output.

For audio a 3.5mm stereo minijack - Left Right phono cable will send analogue audio to the TV from the MBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

Crasp wrote: »
    This is the S Vid to RCA cable:
    Should run you about €3.
    I went with this option recently and the reception I got through to my tv was awful. Is there any settings that I can change to make it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

Thanks folks, very helpful. Thanks especially to Owenw for the links! Yep, it's a unibody MacBook.

Silly question, but I presume that other end of the the red/yellow audio cable plugs into the USB hub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Find out if the TV support S-video via SCART in the manual before buying anything.

S-video to SCART adapter or a S-vid - SCART cable might work better if your TV support it.

Or it might even have an S-video mini-din socket on the back (unlikely on newer TVs).

Advertisement