Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keep watching or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You cant truly judge any TV show after a couple of episodes but especially not the Wire. There's so much to digest, it can be tough going at the start, but once you get to know who is who, you wont look back. I'd advise you to watch at least the first 8 episodes - if you're still not feeling it by then, fair enough. But its a show that really needs to be watched for the full season. Its like a book, it builds to a season conclusion. Its well worth the effort.

Everyone is saying that so going to hang out for a bit more, going on to the 6th episode so will see out the season anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

subtitles can help if you miss something. the slang is great, so much depth in the show you'll see things you didnt notice the second time round

I take it all back, nearly done season 1 and this show in unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Raf32 wrote: »

Its the best television show of all time in my book. Glad you're enjoying it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I watched all 5 seasons over 2 weeks last year, just watched the 5th season again, 1 episode per day. now having seen Breaking Bad twice I can truly say not only is The Wire the best tv drama ever, there will never be anything that tops it! its just too well crafted, a work of art/a study on the human condition and modern societies flaws/just bloody good tv!

Game of Thrones is currently my favorite tv, tho Im not a fan of fantasy

• Advertisement

I watched all 5 seasons over 2 weeks last year, just watched the 5th season again, 1 episode per day. now having seen Breaking Bad twice I can truly say not only is The Wire the best tv drama ever, there will never be anything that tops it! its just too well crafted, a work of art/a study on the human condition and modern societies flaws/just bloody good tv!

Game of Thrones is currently my favorite tv, tho Im not a fan of fantasy

Sopranos for me atm but could change within finishing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I got lucky when I was introduced to The Wire; I wasn't just told "It's the best TV show ever" (which it is imo) I was actually warned that it's a slow-starter so to speak. I think people should generally append their recommendations of The Wire with that. It takes ages to get where it's going in general, but where it's going is usually awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

+1.
    I was bought The Wire season 1 as a christmas present 3 yrs ago, watched the first episode and I was like, what da fcuk, why is everybody going crazy over this show, its absolute pants. And that was that, but 3 years later.........Im halfway through season 1 and man this is better than people were saying it was, Im really getting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just finished a re-watch of the whole series (ok its my 2nd re-watch :D).

There's one thing bugging me is how do the Greeks just manage to turn up in season 5 after having to run away at the end of season 2. Same diner and all they were in still meeting in. Weren't they wanted men?

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    I just finished a re-watch of the whole series (ok its my 2nd re-watch :D).

There's one thing bugging me is how do the Greeks just manage to turn up in season 5 after having to run away at the end of season 2. Same diner and all they were in still meeting in. Weren't they wanted men?

At the end of season 2, Spiros and the Greek left the country. Spiros left under a fake name and fake passport so I assume he slipped back in under the same method. He also appeared in season 4 after Omar hits the shipment, he meets with Prop Joe and Marlo. So I guess he slipped back in after the port investigation died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

I've just finished Series 3 and I really enjoyed it. Se 02 was a bit full of big meatheads, I prefer it when it's about the cops and the druglords.

I've just finished Series 3 and I really enjoyed it. Se 02 was a bit full of big meatheads, I prefer it when it's about the cops and the druglords.

season 4 is the best imo, so you have a lot to look forward to!

oooh goodie!!! I was shocked at the end of SE1 when Kenzi (female detective) got shot... because no one else was watching it when I was, i had no one to talk to about it!! Glad I found this thread here :)

oooh goodie!!! I was shocked at the end of SE1 when Kenzi (female detective) got shot... because no one else was watching it when I was, i had no one to talk to about it!! Glad I found this thread here :)

i was the same as you, only started and finished it a few months ago and had absolutely no-one to talk about with it too! :pac: Ya i dont think anyone saw that coming but thats the show in general so suprising and just so god damn addictive, Stringer Bell was a hero in my opinion :pac:

sob sob... Im still only grieving the (hot) stringer bell... (in my world, he got shot last night!!).
    I loved the way the other 2 ganged up on him though.
    Felt v sad for the Major who set up Hamsterdam being stripped of his powers...

So what you watching now?

sob sob... Im still only grieving the (hot) stringer bell... (in my world, he got shot last night!!).
    I loved the way the other 2 ganged up on him though.
    Felt v sad for the Major who set up Hamsterdam being stripped of his powers...

So what you watching now?

just wait for these next two seasons your going to be out of your mind with not having anyone to talk to :pac: I finished Mad men a few weeks ago and all set for the final season now but finding it hard to get into anything after watching the sopranos, the wire, breaking bad and that back to back, the standard just drops way too much. how about you? any suggestions?

Oh I love de Mad Men... have you watched Kevin Spacey in House of Cards? SE2 is about to start on netflix, but SE1 is brill! I just started on "News Room" it's good, got a feisty female character as well as male, is written by Aaron Sorkin who did The West Wing, give it a try, it's good.

Oh I love de Mad Men... have you watched Kevin Spacey in House of Cards? SE2 is about to start on netflix, but SE1 is brill! I just started on "News Room" it's good, got a feisty female character as well as male, is written by Aaron Sorkin who did The West Wing, give it a try, it's good.

yes its absolutely brilliant, only two weeks now and thats my whole weekend full up then :D Thats what i was thinking of starting next tbh actually, looks very good and cant go wrong with Sorkin, either that or a toss up between Boardwalk Empire and the Shield

I watched 1 Boardwalk Empire and didn't really do it for me.
    I'm not into series where you have to watch 24 episodes before it gets good (BB!!)
    Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yes its absolutely brilliant, only two weeks now and thats my whole weekend full up then :D Thats what i was thinking of starting next tbh actually, looks very good and cant go wrong with Sorkin, either that or a toss up between Boardwalk Empire and the Shield

If you havent seen The Shield, watch it!

Brilliant show, not as heavy as The Wire, not as deep, but totally engrossing and I only finished it recently, 7 seasons, its left a big hole in my life!

ya BE looks like tough watching at the start but wanted something similar to the sopranos! :pac:

my friend was saying the shield is a must too, its the most similar thing to the wire supposedly? thinking of starting it right now but afraid ill get engrossed in it with college work, how long are episodes?

About 50 minutes give or take, cracking show. Cant stress how much I enjoyed it, was the show I have enjoyed most since the wire, but I wouldnt say they are like for like, as I said its a lot less intensive, stays pretty light, fast moving and fun. Some heart wrenching in there alright and some Holy **** moments!

I wanna watch it again now, but as if I was watching it the first time all over :(

kryogen wrote: »
    About 50 minutes give or take, cracking show. Cant stress how much I enjoyed it, was the show I have enjoyed most since the wire, but I wouldnt say they are like for like, as I said its a lot less intensive, stays pretty light, fast moving and fun. Some heart wrenching in there alright and some Holy **** moments!

I wanna watch it again now, but as if I was watching it the first time all over :(

I took your advice and started watching and didnt disappoint its brilliant. only two episodes in though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Glad I found this thread, needed something to replace Breaking Bad so started on The Wire. 5 episodes in and was going to give up, now I'll keep at it.

Glad I found this thread, needed something to replace Breaking Bad so started on The Wire. 5 episodes in and was going to give up, now I'll keep at it.

really slow starter, not going to lie found it hard to keep at it but do its so worth it.

really slow starter, not going to lie found it hard to keep at it but do its so worth it.

A lot of it is to do with the language and dialogue used. It really does create its own universe, once you learn the dialect the show really kicks into gear, you actually totally understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

things start to get interesting from about episode 6 onwards, hang in there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

siochain wrote: »
    things start to get interesting from about episode 6 onwards, hang in there

About the time Lester gets the wire taps up & Presbo cracks the number code, that's when it caught fire for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I've just started watching after years of being told to. I had the same problem, I'd watch 2 or 3 eps and fall asleep/get bored, this happened a number of times over the last couple of years. I gave it another go on Monday and managed to get to Ep 4 and it broke it for me. It's awesome!

I'm like a pig in shít. It just keeps getting better and better. Just watched ep 2 of season 2 before going to work. Now I'm addicted.

Advertisement