Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on first gig

Options
  • 31-05-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

My daughter has just got her first gig, Date to be confirmed when she's ready to go.

Only problem is she has no equipment, She sings to backing tracks and has them all on a memory stick. My question is what will she need from scratch. Speakers,amp etc.Am I right in think she can route all this trough her lap top.

Sorry if this sounds a bit naive...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

there will be a sound hire company near where you live and they will hire you a small mixer and two speakers, microphone, cable,stand and a cable to link your laptop to the mixer

they will explain the set up to you when you hire, it is fairly straightforward

what you need shouldn't cost more than 60 - 80 euro i'd imagine

best of luck to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

there will be a sound hire company near where you live and they will hire you a small mixer and two speakers, microphone, cable,stand and a cable to link your laptop to the mixer

they will explain the set up to you when you hire, it is fairly straightforward

what you need shouldn't cost more than 60 - 80 euro i'd imagine

best of luck to her!

Brill thanks a mill. no doubt I'll be paying and setting it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup.

there are a number of companies which make small PAs that are really portable.... they lock together into a hard case a little bigger than a golf bag.

they come with a pair of speakers , mixer, amp and some mics all in one box.

I've used them a fair bit as the school I teach in has one for the performing arts dept.

this is the peavey version.....

preview.jpg

other options could be a Marshall AS amp.

I have the AS50R which is a 50 watt acoustic guitar amp. it has mic and phono inputs as well as 2 Jacks for guitar etc. I have used it as a small PA several times, and it works well with an input from a laptop as I've used it to beef up the sound when watching DVDs on a data projector screen.

may I suggest that whatever you end up using that either you or someone else your daughter trusts sets it all up and has it working before she steps on stage..... AFTER she's heard herself singing through it at home.....

she needs no extra hassles before her first gig!

yup.

there are a number of companies which make small PAs that are really portable.... they lock together into a hard case a little bigger than a golf bag.

they come with a pair of speakers , mixer, amp and some mics all in one box.

I've used them a fair bit as the school I teach in has one for the performing arts dept.

this is the peavey version.....

preview.jpg

other options could be a Marshall AS amp.

I have the AS50R which is a 50 watt acoustic guitar amp. it has mic and phono inputs as well as 2 Jacks for guitar etc. I have used it as a small PA several times, and it works well with an input from a laptop as I've used it to beef up the sound when watching DVDs on a data projector screen.

may I suggest that whatever you end up using that either you or someone else your daughter trusts sets it all up and has it working before she steps on stage..... AFTER she's heard herself singing through it at home.....

she needs no extra hassles before her first gig!
    Cheers all sound advice, she has sang 50-60 times in different venues from comps to charity gigs, so she'll have no prob with nerves etc, I agree with the advice of setting it up and rehearsing the day before and even doing a sound check. I'm thinking maybe a 2 hour set with 10 min break

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TedNewgent

you can look up www.thomann.de they sell all types of PA's large and small and theae at great prices as well. and i would get her to interact with the crowd every couple of songs just to get them involved and it help's keep there attention on her

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

Am I right in thinking the modern way to do it is have all your tracks on a lap top and route them to the amp/mixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'd trust an iPod a lot more than a laptop. Neater setup too.

Savman wrote: »
    I'd trust an iPod a lot more than a laptop. Neater setup too.

Cheers, is everything then routed trough the i pod,

not yet wrote: »
    Cheers, is everything then routed trough the i pod,

Cable from iPod to Mixing Desk, press play on iPod. That's it in a nutshell tbh.
    Peats or Maplins would have the cable you need, it'll have a headphone plug on one end and 2 x RCA (Red & White) or XLR (Mic) connectors on the other end.

Cable from iPod to Mixing Desk, press play on iPod. That's it in a nutshell tbh.
    Peats or Maplins would have the cable you need, it'll have a headphone plug on one end and 2 x RCA (Red & White) or XLR (Mic) connectors on the other end.

Cheers man, thnx for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Daycentbill

most places she going to play they ll have it all there so she can just bring her laptop and the sound engineer will connect it to there system there, just get her to ask the venue before hand and should be al, grand no need to go renting the gear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

As Daycentbill said, no need to go renting gear if the gig is in a place where gigs usually happen. If you're playing in a garden or a house or something like that, then yeah you might need to rent stuff, but if this is in a bar or club or other kind of music venue, they'll have all that.

rcaz wrote: »
    As Daycentbill said, no need to go renting gear if the gig is in a place where gigs usually happen. If you're playing in a garden or a house or something like that, then yeah you might need to rent stuff, but if this is in a bar or club or other kind of music venue, they'll have all that.

I'm sure there's exceptions, but I can assure you most bars will not let incoming acts use/abuse any gear they have in house, in fact most will tell you to take a long walk off a short cliff. They usually only have small install PA's for background music etc and not suitable for a live act whatsoever.

This is a whole world away from Music Venues with in-house PA Systems and Engineers where they have everything on site.

But to suggest the OP needs absolutely nothing to walk into an average bar and do a gig is horrifically inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

While not wishing to piss off you or your daughter, or hurt your feelings, may I respectfully suggest she finds some musicians to play with and once they are condifent they can do enough songs to a reasonable standard, then go and seek some gigs, and earn the respect of those who are more discerning. With some luck, some talent and a lot of hard work, this route could lead to an actual career, and more important, satisfaction for all involved.

Best of luck to ye...

g

godfrey wrote: »
    While not wishing to piss off you or your daughter, or hurt your feelings, may I respectfully suggest she finds some musicians to play with and once they are condifent they can do enough songs to a reasonable standard, then go and seek some gigs, and earn the respect of those who are more discerning. With some luck, some talent and a lot of hard work, this route could lead to an actual career, and more important, satisfaction for all involved.

Best of luck to ye...

g

Very true, but at the moment she's in the gaiety acting school full time plus after hour rehearsals etc, so has very little time to rehearse with a band. as it stands she has 30+ songs she can do to backing tracks so is ready to go.. She will eventually hope to play with a band. thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

love the total commitment to supporting her, fair play to you, hope all goes well for you both.

love the total commitment to supporting her, fair play to you, hope all goes well for you both.

What can you do she's my Little girl growing up fast. plus I think she has something very very special and could make something of it given the right break, so it's a long term commitment for my nursing home ha ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

not yet wrote: »
    What can you do she's my Little girl growing up fast. plus I think she has something very very special and could make something of it given the right break.

Big kudos and respect to you sir - this is great to see.

Cheers

paligulus1 wrote: »
    Big kudos and respect to you sir - this is great to see.

Cheers

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

horrifically inaccurate.

Which is why I said
    rcaz wrote:
    if the gig is in a place where gigs usually happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement