Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody watch for a second time

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm using the release in widescreen HD as an excuse to revisit and am half way through season 1. It's much better the second time, so much relevant stuff you miss on the first watch as you're trying to keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Started season 1 AGAIN last night, not sure how many times I've watched it but it's been at least a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm currently on my second viewing via the Sky HD boxsets. I was expecting the purist in me to rise to the surface and reject the widescreen transfer, but I actually quite like it. It looks great on my new Samsung. However, I have a real love for the 4:3 ratio in older TV shows and films, so come the end I suspect my favourite version will still be the original.

So what have I found on second viewing?

First up, Stringer is a bit of a monster. I think his charisma won me over previously, but now I'm truly seeing him for what he is. Power and greed.

Second, Frank Sabotka wasn't all that innocent. Fair enough, he wasn't after financial gain, but he turned a blind eye in order to selfishly pursue his own ideology. He got more than what he deserved, but he certainly deserved to be on the end of something.

Third, McNulty is a total dick. I quite liked his cheeky-chappie routine the first time around, but he's just a mess of a man and a terrible father. I actually dislike him now. Plus, there's nothing worse than a Yank that think he's Irish.

Fourth. Levy. The scum-sucking lawyer and now, somewhat surprisingly, my new role-model. Since my first viewing of The Wire I've bagged myself a law degree. I was undecided about trying to enter the profession, but I'm starting to feel inspired. Thanks, Maury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I'm currently on my second viewing via the Sky HD boxsets. I was expecting the purist in me to rise to the surface and reject the widescreen transfer, but I actually quite like it. It looks great on my new Samsung. However, I have a real love for the 4:3 ratio in older TV shows and films, so come the end I suspect my favourite version will still be the original.

So what have I found on second viewing?

First up, Stringer is a bit of a monster. I think his charisma won me over previously, but now I'm truly seeing him for what he is. Power and greed.

Second, Frank Sabotka wasn't all that innocent. Fair enough, he wasn't after financial gain, but he turned a blind eye in order to selfishly pursue his own ideology. He got more than what he deserved, but he certainly deserved to be on the end of something.

Third, McNulty is a total dick. I quite liked his cheeky-chappie routine the first time around, but he's just a mess of a man and a terrible father. I actually dislike him now. Plus, there's nothing worse than a Yank that think he's Irish.

Fourth. Levy. The scum-sucking lawyer and now, somewhat surprisingly, my new role-model. Since my first viewing of The Wire I've bagged myself a law degree. I was undecided about trying to enter the profession, but I'm starting to feel inspired. Thanks, Maury.

Stringer is business man in the wrong business.

Frank was too invested in the docks and let his life fall down around him. He was a tragic hero in the Oedpus variety.

McNulty is another Oedipus and his redemption comes at the end.

Levy is the only man who leaves the show having gained from it and lost nothing. A true parasite.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Frank was too invested in the docks and let his life fall down around him. He was a tragic hero in the Oedpus variety.

McNulty is another Oedipus and his redemption comes at the end.

Nah, not Oedipal. There's tragedy there, but they're too complicit in their own misfortune and downfall for a valid comparison. Perhaps there's a more appropriate comparison in the Greek Tragedy, but I'm only familiar with Sophocles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Nah, not Oedipal. There's tragedy there, but they're too complicit in their own misfortune and downfall for a valid comparison. Perhaps there's a more appropriate comparison in the Greek Tragedy, but I'm only familiar with Sophocles.

You have just defined a tragic hero. Hubris and hamertia are two fundamental ingredients. Oedipus was complicit. He was the man who decided to cure the city (Like Jimmy and Baltimore and Frank and the docks) but in the end it destroyed him (like Jimmy until the end/ Frank is killed". He was big headed and didn't listen to his wife/mother or Tiresias when he was warned. The same way Jimmy didn't listen to anyone and ended up splitting with his wife and literally out at sea in one season exiled like Oedipus was exiled by the citizens. The same way Frank is indited and forced out before his death.

David Simon references it quite a bit and cheekily includes the line "This is Baltimore gentleman the gods will not save you". Like Oedipus the gods cursed him/the city.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You have just defined a tragic hero. Hubris and hamertia are two fundamental ingredients. Oedipus was complicit. He was the man who decided to cure the city (Like Jimmy and Baltimore and Frank and the docks) but in the end it destroyed him (like Jimmy until the end/ Frank is killed". He was big headed and didn't listen to his wife/mother or Tiresias when he was warned. The same way Jimmy didn't listen to anyone and ended up splitting with his wife and literally out at sea in one season exiled like Oedipus was exiled by the citizens. The same way Frank is indited and forced out before his death.

David Simon references it quite a bit and cheekily includes the line "This is Baltimore gentleman the gods will not save you". Like Oedipus the gods cursed him/the city.

I had a feeling you were going to come back and rip me asunder. That's a very astute analysis.

Advertisement