Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI or UK Car insurance to be covered to drive in Ireland?

• 07-05-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Is it worth? Anybody tried this?

i remember first insurance with AIG (USA) offered 900Eur, while other irish companies were offering for 1900Eur minimum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

They would only cover you temporarily for 30 days or less on an Irish registered car with a UK address and if you have a UK registered car over here you need to register it for VRT, won't work I am afraid. Insurance in the UK is sometimes more expensive than here, all depends on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EthicRanger

I just heard, that insurances rised in UK this year up tp 40%. My friend in UK changed Golf TDI manual in to GOLF TDI (2red I) automatic and needed to pay 335GBP additionally for this change. He has 9years claim no bonus. 34y old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

NI or UK Car insurance to be covered to drive in Ireland?

What does that mean :confused:

NI car insurance is UK car insurance, so i don't know what you are asking there . . .

Good luck anyway :)

LordSutch wrote: »

NI car insurance is UK car insurance, so i don't know what you are asking there . . .

NI is in same land and only part of UK, ye? :) So question was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But you asked "NI or UK Car insurance" but as far as I know they are the same, albeit with different annual premiums. NI premiums tend to be higher than the rest of the UK. Anyway, I have insured many cars both here & and in the UK, and premiums seem to be a lot cheaper there, (well certainly in the south of England) and yes you can cover a UK car here for a limited period. Consult insurance company for exact detail/ duration.

• Advertisement

I don't mind to register car in Ireland, but i wonder can any company in NI or all UK cover me cheaper for driving here, like AIG through broker did 5years ago.

I called about 15 irish companies for quote on electric car Reva ( adverts ie/591609 ) and i didn't like their attitude on this. Lads in UK are paying much cheaper for such cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This thread is pointless. A risk will be priced based on where the car spends its time and so will be in the roughly the same range where ever the company insuring it is based. The only way you could get cheap English insurance is by pretending the car spends its time in England, which would be fraud.

Ardmacha,

If it's based on same risk, Can you tell, why irish company giving quotes with difference in price for more than double then,?

And why in UK electric cars paying 160-230GBP, while here 300-450Eur, for person with 9years Claim No Bonus?

Maybe discussion still pointful, then? :)

Ardmacha,

And why in UK electric cars paying 160-230GBP, while here 300-450Eur, for person with 9years Claim No Bonus?

Maybe discussion still pointful, then? :)

The compensation system in Ireland is a joke, recently it gave a kid €20,000 from the local council because he cut his leg on a discarded bottle in an alley, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 serleen

Is it worth? Anybody tried this?

i remember first insurance with AIG (USA) offered 900Eur, while other irish companies were offering for 1900Eur minimum.

I haven't tried, but i heard something about it but not sure. Have you spoken to any Insurance company about this, they will let you this better and if I can be of any assistance let me know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

LordSutch wrote: »

Actually, you sometime see Car Insurance adverts on UK TV which say "Excluding Northern Ireland" so maybe not the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Actually, you sometime see Car Insurance adverts on UK TV which say "Excluding Northern Ireland" so maybe not the exact same.

Coverage is UK wide but there certainly is a considerable divergence in availability and cost. NI tends to be more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

In the UK you have different insurance for different areas.

Mainland UK - which used to be a lot cheaper than here.

Northern Ireland - due to the threath of cars being burnt out and hijacked and the general poor behaviour of drivers in NI, premiums there are higher.

Here, premiums are now generally a lot lower than the UK, but will always be based on risk and whether that company can balance that risk with other drivers. - Similar to how a bookie works. Quinn recently said that they had too high a level of young male drivers and it was one of the causes of their underwriting loss - they have jacked up the price of the riskier of these drivers and brought others down.

Axa wanted more van drivers, so they cut premiums on commercial vehicles (€300 for fully comp on transit!!), aviva are currently brilliant for women - (€280 fully comp on terios), quinn are looking for mature drivers )€420 for fully comp on 3litre jeep and business class driving) other companies will quote twice those prices for the same driver.

You just have to shop around, get a car that suits the insurance company, (might mean a polo for a year or so) have full licence, look for other restrictions that give favour (having a restrictor, doing an insurance company driving test etc etc). Basically crawl first, then walk, then run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

maxer68 wrote: »

Here, premiums are now generally a lot lower than the UK

This is not what I have found. In fact, Ive found that some quotes for identical vehicles with new drivers over 25 to be up to three times more expensive to buiy here in Ireland compared to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

This is not what I have found. In fact, Ive found that some quotes for identical vehicles with new drivers over 25 to be up to three times more expensive to buiy here in Ireland compared to the UK.

In my experience UK is WAY more expensive.

Churchill - car value £25k stg (40keuro), 10years+ no claims, full lic, age 44, living in rural town in cambs (an old address of mine) fully comp £605

This year via broker, I am paying just over €450 for identical insurance over here living in rural town about 60km from dublin.

That's a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

So does anyone know if your working in England can you buy a car and insure/tax it in the UK but keep it in Ireland to drive?

So does anyone know if your working in England can you buy a car and insure/tax it in the UK but keep it in Ireland to drive?

If you are living in the UK and can proove this from a VRT point of view yes, however most insurance companies limit overseas cover to 30 days which would mean you would have to return it to the UK every 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

You will not be covered unless living & your car registered in the UK
    There is a schedulce of insurance companies that have persmission to insure in the republic so you have to use one of them

Advertisement