Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2014

• 01-12-2014 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Well, there's no stopping it now, in 24 days we're gonna collide with Christmas!

First problem:
    I need help again with idee-ers for prezzies. We have scaled down to giving just a very few prezzies, no kiddies so no panic in that direction. I've a couple of 30-something chaps to get prezzies for and I'm flummoxed. Socks? Scarf? Gloves? T-shirt? Woolly jumper? DVD's? Yep, all done before. I'm drumming my fingers trying to work the little grey cells but can't come up with anything. No point in after-shave 'cos they be beardy men. No point in CD's 'cos I don't know what they have or what they like.

Second problem:
    Entertainment. TV just won't be enough for the motley crew soon to be assembled in my living room. I'm thinking of board games. I checked the board game thread here and there are lots of suggestions but I've never heard of any of them. Any suggestions from you mighty O & O's? Nothing naughty of course. :o

Third problem:
    Would someone pleeze do the cleaning, cooking, and washing up for me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Ok 1st problem - how about yearly subscription to a magazine e.g. If they are into cars yearly subscription to Top Gear magazine.

2nd problem - how's about charades

3rd problem - you are on your own there:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have loads of time before Christmas 2015 JB. I am more concerned about the one that is imminent, and for which i have done absolutely no shopping. Yet.

The 30 something men. How about something like a massive rechargable torch (they have them in Tesco, or at least they did a few weeks ago). Or other gadgetty things for the car. Or something daft like a beard comb. Or a cool clockwork type gadget that does something pointless and amusing. Or a mug with some really nice ground coffee. Or some sort of weather thermometer thingy (go and look round a big garden centre). If I think of anything else I will let you know!

Board games ... hm, I like Settlers of Catan, which is a bit off mainstream, but a good game. Bohnanza and Bean Trader are also good, we always enjoy playing Bohnanza - its a card game - because you can have a laugh and be really mean at the same time. Tends to lead to a lot of amiable insults. We have a crowd here this year so I must go and root Bean Trader out of the attic and possibly buy a new Bohnanza, not sure who has snaffled it. Rummikub is a game you play with numbered tiles, which looks madly mathematical but is not at all (I am hopeless at maths) but requires a lot of lateral thinking. One of my favourites.

Having everyone help do the Observer saturday crossword is a good notion too, the big general knowledge one - you can use reference books but not computers!

Third problem...if you find someone to do that will you send them over here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

looksee wrote: »
    You have loads of time before Christmas 2015 :pac:

Aw looksee, you discovered my deliberate mistake :o any chance you might change it to read 2014?

Some good suggestions so far, the gadget idea and coffee, worth investigation methinks. Will also look into the games though charades will not happen as himself just wouldn't prance about when required! Magazine is a good idea but won't work in this instance. Ah well, if the worst comes to the worst, there is always booze I suppose as a last resort.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Booze a last resort:eek::eek::eek:

Please, some respect for the devils buttermilk;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

+1 on the magazine subscriptions. For anyone into music I'd suggest a subscription to "Q". For the film buffs a subscription to "Empire". For the geographer/photographer "National Geographic" and for the nerd try "New Scientist".

As to boardgames I mostly play one on one games but firm family favourites are Monopoly, Risk and Trivial pursuits.
    Card games are wonderful as they range from the downright serious like canasta and poker to the inane (snap, go fish etc.) where the game is a mere pretext for sitting around and nattering.

Charades is always fun if you have a few of those exhibitionist enthusiastic type of people involved. Make teams and allow the introverts to be team guessers rather than team performers. I HATE being asked to perform charades but love shouting out the guesses.

I buy two or three boardgames every year but the games that stand the test of time are still the classics.

One side note...there is a free(ish) game that you can get online. You simply have to print out and cut up the cards. It is however...risque and best suited to drunked adults with a broad and bawdy sense of humour. It's called "Cards against humanity". http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

If you ever fancy a game of backgammon give me a shout and I'll bring a board to a café. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

:eek: I just went to look on Amazon to see if they had Bohnanza! £20 for a card game!! Might go and have a better search in the attic! And Bean Trader, over £30! Sheesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Off topic:
    When you said "Bean Trader" I got overly excited thinking that you meant a variant of Mancala - Arabic game of "sowing" where beans are moved around a board and captured.
    Day-15-Salt-Mancala-Hands.jpg

Meanwhile, back on topic...as you say the gents in question are bearded have you considered a voucher for a quality barber to groom the beards? I can PM a link to my barber in town who has a reputation for excellence on things tonsorial and follicle.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I like Mancala, its one of those games that you learn instantly - you think - and then lose half a dozen games till you work out the subtleties! You have to play it fairly fast though.

Crikey, we have Mancala, I just didn't know what it was called, though didn't know it was Arabic, we thought it was African/North African. Anyway our family/guests never went for it before. Yes, it's great when it speeds up!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Crikey, we have Mancala, I just didn't know what it was called, though didn't know it was Arabic, we thought it was African/North African. Anyway our family/guests never went for it before. Yes, it's great when it speeds up!

I think its one of those games you see everywhere, we used to see it being played when we lived in east africa, fellas sitting under a tree with little holes scraped in the ground, the one we have is shiny wood and a bit synthetic looking, but still a good game.

• Advertisement

Our's is wood and hand made, the 'counters' are little shells.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Our's is wood and hand made, the 'counters' are little shells.

*is jealous* :)

Advertisement