Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lent 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

gerard65 wrote: »
    You could be right, after all I'm an old crusty. but if I begin to look like a famine victim running 50mls a week and my diet isn't great and you say your putting on weight running 70, well something must be wrong.
    Be honest, how many units do you drink per week?

I don't drink units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Back to the whole 40/46 days thing. As Jebus left the desert to ride into Jersuleam on a donkey on Palm Sunday, thats the 40th day. Not Easter Sunday but for reasons best know to no one, you can't eat your chocolate Easter Egg until Easter Sunday morning.

Of course, there's the one that we were told at school to get round that problem that you didn't count Sundays during Lent and as it has 6 Sundays, Easter Sunday is the 40th day.

I have some Aero bubbles and a pint earlier, they were lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not a good start!

Only 9 hours into lent and I'm already cranky for the mere thought of going without chocolate for 40 days, and what's the first thing I see when coming into the office?

No coffee in the coffee machine!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

One more anal-retentive post about me not doing lent properly and I might just explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

One more anal-retentive post about me not doing lent properly and I might just explode.

Must...resist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

No more for a whiile :eek:

• Advertisement

Not a good start!

Only 9 hours into lent and I'm already cranky for the mere thought of going without chocolate for 40 days, and what's the first thing I see when coming into the office?

No coffee in the coffee machine!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I gave up the chocolate and sweets yesterday already. I swear that during my run yesterday evening it felt like I was gonna be sick.

Sugar withdrawals :mad:....Hopefully it's better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

is anyone Doing anything extra , as well or instead of giving up things?

Apart from the punishment of abstaining from my favourite food sins I am going to swim Monday Wednesday and Friday at 7am. I haaaaatttteee getting up early, almost as much as I hate swimming.

One day down so far.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

gerard65 wrote: »
    You could be right, after all I'm an old crusty. but if I begin to look like a famine victim running 50mls a week and my diet isn't great and you say your putting on weight running 70, well something must be wrong.

He might have relations from croatia :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Don't forget today is Ash Wednesday so that means no eating between meals and no meat. Just to make things more difficult :cool:

G-Money wrote: »
    Don't forget today is Ash Wednesday so that means no eating between meals and no meat. Just to make things more difficult :cool:

Sorry bud, this is not some Religious observance excercise for me.

And no meat? :eek::confused: Why would you bother...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm glad people are around to keep reminding me what to eat to annoy the sky monster. :D

robinph wrote: »
    I'm glad people are around to keep reminding me what to eat to annoy the sky monster. :D

My Colleague at work who is rather religious says he observes the no meat rule but eats chicken, pork and turkey. Apparently he and the sky monster only consider red meat to be meat. :confused:

So If you want to annoy the skymonster, have a nice steak for your dinner tonight.

menoscemo wrote: »
    So If you want to annoy the skymonster, have a nice steak for your dinner tonight.

I don't need no skymonster for that. My wife is a strict vegetarian, and much scarier than any imaginary creature when angry. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

My Colleague at work who is rather religious says he observes the no meat rule but eats chicken, pork and turkey. Apparently he and the sky monster only consider red meat to be meat. :confused:

Yeah my friend reckons he's vegetarian but eats fish. Surely that's not a vegetarian diet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I decided to give choc up for lent and also nacho's with dip on sat night.

On the other hand i have decided to drink more during lent with weddings, rugby and stags on during lent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

im giving up giving up stuff. I have nothing left to give up.
    But anyone attempting to take my chocolate off me better be able to run quickly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I don't drink units.

unit = Case :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm considering trying to get up before 7am 6 days a week. That won't last long given I usually only go asleep at about 3 am. :D

One day down successfully though.

Has no one told him that pork is sometimes considered to be a red meat? You should print out loads of things that classify pork as a red meat and leave it on his desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Harto45

Apart from the punishment of abstaining from my favourite food sins I am going to swim Monday Wednesday and Friday at 7am. I haaaaatttteee getting up early, almost as much as I hate swimming.

One day down so far.
    :)

I'm giving up just reading these threads and time to get stuck in! Boards cherry...popped.

Oh, and due to dentist enforced restrictions, I'm one week ahead on the sugar being gone :D

Say, shouldn't we have a list, like the previous years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Say, shouldn't we have a list, like the previous years?

We are all giving up lists and tables for lent :) or at least for a few days ,.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

shels4ever wrote: »
    We are all giving up lists and tables for lent :) or at least for a few days ,.

NO|WAY|HOSAY|
    TABLES|FOR|LIFE|
    |

A table a day, keeps the mad boardsies away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

milhous wrote: »
    I haven't done lent for many a year, but i'l be giving up alcohol, carbohydrates and crappy sugary foods. Now this is not really 'giving up' but i'll be flat out at the gym.. Except for paddies day of course, I'll be drunk that day, but that doesn't count. Oh and I'll be dropping coffee and drinking green tea instead..

joining you with this (except the flat out at the gym bit..am just going to increase my attendance a little ha! did the green tea instead of coffee one yr too, was off coffee for about 6mnths after! starting that one for sure again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

Tayto & sweets* for me. One day in, so far so good.

* except jelly babies on long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

roseybear wrote: »
    joining you with this (except the flat out at the gym bit..am just going to increase my attendance a little ha! did the green tea instead of coffee one yr too, was off coffee for about 6mnths after! starting that one for sure again

Hey - what difference did you find having switched from coffee to green tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I don't do lent - I am not that kind of catholic.
    But I think I have given up drink for lent.

Had homemade pizza on Friday night but drank no beer.
    Went to a birthday party on Saturday night and drank water while everyone around me got pissed - urgh.
    Cooked a nice meal on Sunday night and avoided the wine.
    So I must be off the drink.

I've got it - my next race is Easter Monday so I am not off the drink for lent, just preparing for that by not consuming alcohol for 46 days and nights.

8 Full days off chocolate and sweets now and things are finally going great. I felt a bit weak, dizzy constantly hungry for the first few days but the body has gotten used to it now and feels much better. A curious side effect is that I now find that 2 sugars in my daily coffee is way too sweet and I now only put in one teaspoon.

On a positive note, I weighed myself this morning and am down a full 4 lbs on last week. That's me right back to my 'normal' racing weight So I reckon I can get down quite a bit further before my Goal race at the start of April.

How's everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Struggling with loss of diet coke. Dont miss the chocolate and crisps , chips and goodies at all but feel so deprived of my drink.
    I am more hungry for more of the day and I would think I have put on weight as I am eating massive amounts of bread and bigger portions of real food to keep me going.

Hopefully this will sort itself out next week on holidays , when I am out of the kitchen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I was away for the week it started but I started myself on a similar path to yourself meno. Basically anything sh#t is cut out. started last sunday.

• Advertisement

8 Full days off chocolate and sweets now and things are finally going great. I felt a bit weak, dizzy constantly hungry for the first few days but the body has gotten used to it now and feels much better. A curious side effect is that I now find that 2 sugars in my daily coffee is way too sweet and I now only put in one teaspoon.

On a positive note, I weighed myself this morning and am down a full 4 lbs on last week. That's me right back to my 'normal' racing weight So I reckon I can get down quite a bit further before my Goal race at the start of April.

How's everyone else getting on?

8 full days without chocolate and any other sweet stuff, I'm jonesing sugar like mad :(, have lost exactly 0 pounds :mad: and can't see the end of the tunnel yet. :eek:

In a particularly cruel twist of fate I had to make the desserts a couple of evenings ago, which included creating some lovely meringues. God they looked gorgeous! I was highly tempted to grab the lot and do a runner but somehow managed to restrain myself.

But thanks for asking anyway. :rolleyes:

Advertisement