Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners for the missus.

• 25-11-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Morning all.

I'm looking to treat SWMBO to a new pair of trainers, and looking for some guidance.
    First things first. I realise that getting her into a sports shop to get gait and stuff looked at is the ideal, but these are to be a surprise so would rather not. But if needs must, I will.

Anyways, she runs around 15k per week. She's 5'7" tall, slim build (around 9 stone), pretty fit (does 3 circuit training classes per week) and obviously a bit thick as she married me!
    As long as I can remember she's worn Asics, and never had an issue. So I'm thinking the same again, as sizing won't be an issue ordering online. But maybe there's better out there for her style of running/gait?

I've attached a few pics of her current runners (Asics GT 2150). Maybe someone with a trained eye could tell me what's what as regards wear? I was thinking either the Kayano 20 or the Nimbus 15.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Soarer wrote: »
    Anyways, she runs around 15k per week. She's 5'7" tall, slim build (around 9 stone), pretty fit (does 3 circuit training classes per week) and obviously a bit thick as she married me!
    As long as I can remember she's worn Asics, and never had an issue. So I'm thinking the same again, as sizing won't be an issue ordering online. But maybe there's better out there for her style of running/gait?
    Reminds me of an old joke: A man walks into a jewellery shop, straight up to a sales assistant. "Hi there, I'm looking to buy a ring for my wife. She's 5'7 and around 9 stone. What ring size would she take?" "Well sir, that depends on how big her finger is" :)

While weight will have something of an impact on what runners suit, running style is far more important, and you don't have that. If she's never had an issue with the GT 2150, they're your best bet. Otherwise, I'd get her a voucher for somewhere like Amphibian King, and that way she can go in and get a proper gait analysis done

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The immediate replacement for her shoes is the Asics 2000 2 - if she hasn't had any problems, then more of the same would probably be a good thing.

There's a nifty tool on runners world which you can use to compare your current shoe, with shoes you're thinking of buying (scroll to the bottom, you'll see it there)
    default-over-20111207.png

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/asics-gt-2150-womens

All that said, I've tried on so many pairs of trainers and despite all of their profiles being the same, they haven't felt the same on so I'd say stick with what she knows or get her a voucher for Amphibian King as previously suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

28064212 wrote: »
    Reminds me of an old joke: A man walks into a jewellery shop, straight up to a sales assistant. "Hi there, I'm looking to buy a ring for my wife. She's 5'7 and around 9 stone. What ring size would she take?" "Well sir, that depends on how big her finger is" :)

While weight will have something of an impact on what runners suit, running style is far more important, and you don't have that. If she's never had an issue with the GT 2150, they're your best bet. Otherwise, I'd get her a voucher for somewhere like Amphibian King, and that way she can go in and get a proper gait analysis done

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Amphibian King is a bit away so that option is out.
    The immediate replacement for her shoes is the Asics 2000 2 - if she hasn't had any problems, then more of the same would probably be a good thing.

Thanks Rainbow.
    Came across this thread, and they're suggesting that the newer gt series differ from the old gt2150's. They reduced the cushioning or something and people were/are having problems with them. You'd normally only read bad stuff on the internet anyway.
    There's a nifty tool on runners world which you can use to compare your current shoe, with shoes you're thinking of buying (scroll to the bottom, you'll see it there)
    default-over-20111207.png

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/asics-gt-2150-womens

All that said, I've tried on so many pairs of trainers and despite all of their profiles being the same, they haven't felt the same on so I'd say stick with what she knows or get her a voucher for Amphibian King as previously suggested.

That's a very handy link whoopsa. Comparing the GT2150 to the Nimbus, they look almost identical. Only issue I have now is reading the reviews of the Nimbus on Amazon, people reckon they're a smaller fit to "normal" Asics and you should go a size up. Then other ordered the size up, and they were too big!

I'm beginning to thinnk that this isn't going to be a surprise present and we'll have to do things properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Looking at the photo id say the Nimbus as the wear on the sole looks very even.Something up with the sizing(hence the wear on the heel cup & toe box)
    Only thing with the Nimbus is the heel cup is alot softer than the likes of the Cumulus.
    Id recommend the Cumulus if you just want to stick to Asics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Looking at the photo id say the Nimbus as the wear on the sole looks very even.Something up with the sizing(hence the wear on the heel cup & toe box)
    Only thing with the Nimbus is the heel cup is alot softer than the likes of the Cumulus.
    Id recommend the Cumulus if you just want to stick to Asics.

Thanks thirsty.
    Do you reckon she's half a size too small?

Topic title is wrong, should that not be "from" instead of "for"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Soarer wrote: »
    That's a very handy link whoopsa. Comparing the GT2150 to the Nimbus, they look almost identical. Only issue I have now is reading the reviews of the Nimbus on Amazon, people reckon they're a smaller fit to "normal" Asics and you should go a size up. Then other ordered the size up, and they were too big!

Definitely not true. They are completely different shoes on opposite sides of the spectrum. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ibUSRUitQ8eFB0TkxsZWROMzQ/view?usp=sharing

The GT range are Guidance shoes, the Nimbus, neutral.

The fitting on the Nimbus is down to the extra soft heel cup so a half size up is a good way to go. As Thirsty says the Cumulus is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Another great site is http://www.myprecisionfit.com although its for Mizuno only

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

personally id get her a voucher for a decent running shop and let her decide...I love trying on different runners and getting to know the pros and cons of other brands..but that's just me..
    since I started running and buying several pairs a year I kind of understand the obsession women have with new shoes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement