Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considered Wrestling Training?

• 05-05-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I want to start training to become a pro wrestling and I'm wondering were are all the wrestling schools in Ireland?I'm going to college in September in either Galway or Dublin and I need to know the names and locations of these schools/clubs??Thanks for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

FFPW has been in operation for over 8 years now.
    Founded in 2003 by Paul Tracey & Fergal 'Prince' Devitt as the NWA Ireland Training school it changed its name to FFPW as NWA Ireland wanted to focus on the promoting side of the business.

Almost 30 wrestlers that have been trained at the Fight Factory have competed Internationally in countries like: Ireland, N. Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Spain, Australia, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Romania, Bulgaria, Japan and the USA.

Our trainers have learned from practitioners of every style of wrestling including The World Of Sport style from England, the Catch Style of Mainland Europe, the widely known American Style of Pro Wrestling, Mexican Lucha Libre & have trained extensively in the Japanese Puroresu style.

Our aim is to help train the next big start to breakout into the wrestling business. We consider ourselves the best pro wrestling training school in Europe, aiming to develop wrestlers to move on to bigger promotions aswell as creating local oppurtunities to learn the business, with strong affilations with No Limit Wrestling & American Wrestling Rampage. Though based in Dublin, Ireland we continue to attact wrestlers from all over the country aswell as having wrestler come from the UK, Spain, Holland, France, Sweden and Canada & Australia in the past.

Our training school is located in Bray and runs weekly training sessions every Sunday from 2-6pm and Wednesday's from 7-9pm.

Costs are €15 per week or €50 monthly, but your 1st week is FREE and there is no Joining Fee. For more information e-mail info@fightfactoryprowrestling.com or 'like' us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fight-Factory-Pro-Wrestling/115229685169840?sk=info

www.uewa.eu
    www.fightfactoryprowrestling.com

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IWWINFORMATION

IWW have a new Facebook page up and running, dedicated to Irish Whip's training, including all details on it's trainers, Mandrake & The Supermodel. Read the pages "About Me" to read why, if you want to become a wrestler in Ireland, these 2 men are the most professionally qualified & experienced to do so, with HD footage of both men wrestling. Get in contact via the e-mail listed on the page, or contact/add the page directly for all the information you need. We look forward to hearing from you!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002350872333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

There are a good few mate.

Theres MSW in crumlin, DCW in city centre, FFPW in bray and IWW run trainin before ther shows.

So depends on whats handy to get to. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

if you want an impartial view: The only good advise to try more than one school. You might not like one, but might like another.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I've been a fan of professional wrestling for a long time and always thought about training to be a wrestler but never actually did it.
    So, I started thinking about it a few days ago and I've decided I'm going to at least attempt to train and at least do some wrestling in some indie promotions, most of the answers for these questions have probably been posted somewhere on this board, but I don't want to spend a long time looking for them all.
    A few questions I have are:

1, Are there any good Pro Wrestling schools in or near Dublin?
    2, What age does someone usually have to be to train, also, what about the age to wrestle a match?
    3, Generally, how long does training take from when you start to your first match?
    4, What about gimmick and moveset? Do you get forced to do certain moves and make a certain gimmick work or are you allowed to choose your gimmick and moves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm friends with Danny Dean if ya want me to ask him? Another one of my mates "kid krazy" from Waterford here used to go upto Bray I think it was to train

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

There are two schools in dublin and one in bray. You'll find information on them on, here easily. As for age there are no restrictions on age as long as you're fit enough for the training all are welcome. The time between first bump and first match depends on ability. It could take three months or three years depending on how you progress as a wrestler. With the gimmick and moves as an independent wrestler its up to you. The moves you use are up to you as long as they aren't ridiculously dangerous or do not suit the situation. Again the gimmick is up to you but if you have a crap one you wont be booked on a show. If a booker suggests a gimmick that would suggest he/she would have an idea to use you and might be a sure match for you. Again if it doesn't suit you just say no. Hope some of that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's just a question that I'd like to hear a bit of feedback on from the PW posters, we're all great fans but did you ever feel like you could do this yourself?

Personally I'd love to give it a go some day, I'm 23 and have an athletic background so I feel its something I'd love to least experience and attempt when I'm still young. I know of the school that's operating in Bray, I'm tempted to travel up and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Supposed to be an unreal way to keep fit. I'm sure it would be total hell starting out, but if you grow to love it, then I don't see why not.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Some of the, how do I put it, smarky wrestling fans I've seen at wrestling shows sure could do with a bit of training. Some of them looked like the walk to the arena was the only exercise they got all month.

Personally, I think if your going down the route of physical training like pro wrestling, your better off joining an MMA or boxing gym and training in BJJ, kickboxing, amateur wrestling, Judo etc.

It would be of far more use to you in self defence, meeting people, competing in tournaments etc. not to mention its quite easy to land some pussy if you mention you train in "UFC" :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd love to. But I've got bad knees which will leave me in a bad way in my later years without wrestling, a bad back and a horrible aversion to pain.

I often think I'd love to be a manager or something like that though; I've done loads of debating and stage acting over the years, and I know I could make a great cowardly manager like Rodriquez or Estrada :P I just would imagine the chances to become a manager are even rarer than becoming a wrestler....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I thought about it but I'd hate myself if I paid for training and was just one of those random Irish indy guys who never get anywhere. Don't really have the time or the commitment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'd absolutely love to do it, and before had made the plans to do so. Currently it's impossible to get the time, Monday to Friday my total travel to and from work is 5-6 hours so by the time the weekend comes I'm absolutely shattered. My job finishes in March so while I'm looking for work I'll have ALOT more free time. I intend on doing three things then: focus alot more on my writing and get back to doing stories for print, get the podcast going again and travel to Bray for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I think everyone here has probably thought about it.

Just imagine the rush of adrenaline when your standing behind the curtain at the Gorilla position and your music hits, that feeling has to be better than sex.

I would like to give it a go before I'm 30 but I would need to put on a few more kilos, I'm too skinny so I don't think my back would be able to withstand the bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

It's just a question that I'd like to hear a bit of feedback on from the PW posters, we're all great fans but did you ever feel like you could do this yourself?

Personally I'd love to give it a go some day, I'm 23 and have an athletic background so I feel its something I'd love to least experience and attempt when I'm still young. I know of the school that's operating in Bray, I'm tempted to travel up and see how I go.

I'm the same. I'd love to do it and have a bit of a background in kickboxing and Muay Thai. If you do decide to try it out and want another beginner the same age as you to go up, drop me a pm, as I'm well up for giving it a try! Will also pay half the petrol money!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I agree with Charisteas I think all of us have probably thought about this at some point. I've even thought of some cool catchphrases. :pac:

When reality kicks in though I know there's a lot about it that I wouldn't like. The wear and tear on the back and neck must be really hard going. The political BS that you have to deal with must be head-wrecking, I'd say even at a low level. Not to mention that the odds of making it would seem to be extremely low. Really is remarkable what Sheamus has achieved for himself when you think about it.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll also admit that although I know I'd never make it (given the above reasons), I have been very, very tempted to get gear done up for a laugh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Yeah I agree with Charisteas I think all of us have probably thought about this at some point. I've even thought of some cool catchphrases. :p

Please, please share them with us! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

yes i have considered it. and i think rastapitts would have been a brilliant wrestling name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I would love to try it but i have Cystic Fibrosis so that would put pay to that, I'd love to be a manager or promo guy like someone else on the thread mentioned I'm pretty sure i'd be okay at it, As i can take off any accent or voice from TV shows or whatever and all my friends say im hilarious doing jokes or whatever so im pretty sure i'd be useful enough lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I was offered a personal introduction/recommendation to the Team 3D school in Florida but I was 21.5 stone and in no shape for it at the time have cut to 16 stone since September but I don't fancy myself a wrestler but I'd love to try in for a bit just to see

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

When I was 17 years I made a conscious decision to join a wrestling training school. Almost a decade later I can confidently say that it is still the best decision of my life. Of course at the time I had big dreams and expectations for myself now days Im a bit more modest with my aspirations (I enjoy being a random Irish Indy guy going nowhere ;) ) The group of lads I trained with I still consider my best friends to this day. In the nine years I've been wrestling I've traveled the world, I've got to be in the ring with guys I watched on TV and I've got to perform in front of great crowds be it of 50 or 5000.When we trained first we all had to get an actual black grade in shoot/submission wrestling or Budo ,so now I have the highest grade in a recognised martial art. Of course there have been bad times like tiny crowds wear and tear on the body and of course I have broken my neck but they all pale in comparison to the natural high of walking through a curtain. Nowdays I am a wrestling trainer in Bray and I love it. Watching the lads training now becoming the close knit family like we did 9 plus years ago is brilliant. Im just glad to be apart of their journey. For me being a wrestler is my life and I love it, its the difference between surviving and really living.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

one of my friends said he randomly googled "wrestling schools in ireland" one day and he loves it. he's aspergers so he doesn't go out much but you can tell how much he loves it. he never stops talking about it. you should see his facebook updates after he's had training every sunday

i think if you have enough of a desire to improve and get better at it then that should trump anything else. i've never had a desire to actually do it but it's cool to go to the shows and see guys doing it in your own backyard. my friend could barely walk whenever he came back from training but he said he couldn't wait to go back. guess it depends on the person really

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

If enough of you are up for it... I will arrange a private Boards training session. You can all talk to each other here and decide a date, I'll make sure the school in Bray is free for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

If enough of you are up for it... I will arrange a private Boards training session. You can all talk to each other here and decide a date, I'll make sure the school in Bray is free for you guys.

Well up for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I have done it for awhile when in 6th year, Satueday mornings leave KK at seven to and get to training in Baldoyle at twelve, train, and get home back to KK at 8 (buses times), I did this for a good few months until summer came and I had to relocate to cork for work and then college I had to go college and got into one in waterford, with that and my weekend bouncing job in Kilkenny, i could never afford or get to training.

I did a few shows with IWW after wards around Cork, Waterford,Tip, Kilkeeny, Laois, Wexford but then my travelling buddy stopped and my car went tits up so it wasnt feesable. Was also ment to travel to England with the beloved Conor Hurley and was scheduled to win the very pretigious PTW Tag Championship, had flights and all booked but Conor pulled out and I guess I bitched out of it and decided not to go.

My last night wrestling was about two years ago against both Mandrake and Rob Cage in the King of Yaughal Cup for IWW, didnt actually think it would be my last match at the time. Since then Ive got my Law degree and immigrated to Australia for awhile, however its always played on my mind that i never gave it a proper chance. When DCW was around I wanted to email them so bad and ask about the possibility of getting booked but my fear of rejection got the better of me.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, I got to meet some former WWE stars , which I never would of thought was possible.....hardly marquee names but still former Tag Champs etc.I loved it and I miss it tremendously, at the age of 22 I could realistically get back into it and Id like to think I will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'd love to try basic pro wrestling training(learning to take bumps etc)but if it's anything as un-fun as MMA training(which I did for 3 and a half months) then I wouldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd love to have done it, but my knees are in bits. Only recently have I been able to go without wearing straps for just normal walking, I doubt wrestling would be a very good idea. I wouldn't be able to walk after a few weeks. :pac:

I used to play football before I hurt my knee. Had pretty great pace considering the level I played at. Nowadays, my pace is non existent and if I try to run for an extended period, my knees are in agony and I need several minutes before I can do it again. As such, wrestling is a non starter for me these days unfortunatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

That's a top offer right there I have to say. I think some folk would feel alot more comfortable starting at the same level as others and that they know socially, even if it's only from a message board.

If it was after Marcb 3rd (When my job finishes and I go onto the dole :p ) the. I'm in. Could finally get our Boards PW Meet-up this way :D

Advertisement