Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake Coming to PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Magill wrote: »
    I've just ordered a new PC today... after 2 years of console gaming i seriously CANT wait to see some graphical settings in the option menus !

OFFTOPIC.. but any PC exclusives that i've missed in the last 2/3 years ? Witcher 2 is first on my list.
    Serious Sam 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Magill wrote: »
    OFFTOPIC.. but any PC exclusives that i've missed in the last 2/3 years ? Witcher 2 is first on my list.

Amnesia - The Dark Descent
    Not a graphical one, but certainly one you shouldn't miss (especially as you're interested in Alan Wake), needs a dark room and headphones!!

More info in the Updated FAQ...

The important bits seem to be...
    Will the DLC Episodes be included in the game?

Both The Signal and The Writer DLCs will be available on Steam and are included in all copies of the game.

What graphical customisations will the player be able to make?

We are still finalising the options, but the players can naturally adjust resolution, run in full screen or windowed and change numerous graphics quality settings such as anti-aliasing, FXAA, shadow quality, draw distance and so on.

The players can also turn off the HUD if they wish. This was a feature many of our fans wanted for Alan Wake Xbox360.

Are you going to release the mod tools for Alan Wake PC?

Unfortunately Remedy is not planning to release the mod tools. The tools are a lot more complex than they were with the Max Payne games, and are based on many 3rd party commercial tools like Autodesk 3d studio max. Additionally they have been integrated to work with our Perforce asset repository and other internal services, and removing and re-implementing these features would be a lot of work.

And now we have a release date and pricing! Looks like it's going to be out on February 16th on Steam with other DD services to follow. The price is $30 for the normal version and $35 for the limited edition. No word on what's in the latter edition yet. Given the price differences I'd imagine it's a digital version of the content which came with the 360 Limited Edition.

In short? Sold. Gona do my Nightmare playthrough on this version I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

gizmo wrote: »
    And now we have a release date and pricing! Looks like it's going to be out on February 16th on Steam with other DD services to follow. The price is $30 for the normal version and $35 for the limited edition. No word on what's in the latter edition yet. Given the price differences I'd imagine it's a digital version of the content which came with the 360 Limited Edition.

In short? Sold. Gona do my Nightmare playthrough on this version I reckon.
    As long as the euro pricing makes sense v's the US I'll be all over this. This is the kind of thin I think I should support.

• Advertisement

As long as the euro pricing makes sense v's the US I'll be all over this. This is the kind of thin I think I should support.
    Well that'll be up to Steam I guess. But do remember, as pointed out in another thread, that the $30 doesn't include taxes so once you do the conversion and factor in the taxes over here you'll be left with a price of ~€27.66.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'll be a straight $=€ conversion, but €30 is still a decent price. Might even pay the €35 for the limited edition.

gizmo wrote: »
    Well that'll be up to Steam I guess. But do remember, as pointed out in another thread, that the $30 doesn't include taxes so once you do the conversion and factor in the taxes over here you'll be left with a price of ~€27.66.
    Yeah. I'll be kinda disappointed but not perturbed by the €30 price point. I'd still buy it for that price. But once it goes above that I'll be thinking again about getting it until later down the line. Pretty sure that Steam doesn't set the prices, the publishers do hence why $50=€50. But that's a subject for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Might wait for it to go on sale. Not a bad price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So is this out yet?

A little dig at MS hehe

p9XdS.jpg

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So is this out yet?

A little dig at MS hehe
    Yup. It's out and the Collector's edition can be gotten off of GreenManGaming for as little as €20.50 i think. I bought mine off of Gamersgate.com which are selling the Collector's edition for €27.99 but since I signed up for an IGM prime trial I bagged myself a further 15% off of purchases on Gamersgate. Cost me €23 (plus earned some blue coins too). Looking forward to getting into it.

You can find the code for the greenmangaming offer in the gaming bargain thread.

I don't do a lot of PC gaming cuz of my stupid laptop spec but am mad to play this, looks like my kinda game. I must run a sys requeirements lab test when i get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You can find the code for the greenmangaming offer in the gaming bargain thread.
    Is it just me, or is Alan Wake gone from that site now? :eek:

Yup, it seems like it. MAybe they were getting TOO much traffic and Steam weren't happy? I jest, but you never know. Thankfully I bought mine off of Gamersgate last night and since it uses Steamworks, it has to be registered with Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

They ran out of keys, apparently. Should get some more soon hopefully. I picked mine up right before they ran out! For 20 quid you cant say no. It looks stunning, im running it at the moment on my PC in work, which is old and fairly ****ty. Cranked everything up to max, lol 15 FPS. On medium tho its like 30 FPS. Cant wait to give it a bash on my proper gaming PC at home.

6891146749_00b9c90f45_b.jpg
    Alan Wake by Brerlappin, on Flickr

6891146207_a9630e25af_b.jpg

Definitely looks better than the xbox version. Wonder how my 5770 card will handle it! :o

I just have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650. wish i could throw a better graphics card into the latop.

Definitely looks better than the xbox version. Wonder how my 5770 card will handle it! :o

I took those screens on a geforce 9600GT..seriously low end stuff by todays standards. Id say the 5770 should be fine if youre not going for 1080p maxed out

My monitor is 1440x900, so a little below 1080, but happy to scale that back a little to get a decent result!

Gonna try out my GTX 275 later with Q6600 OC'd to 3.0GHz @1440x900. Hopefully I can max it out on that. Spose I'll find out later.

• Advertisement

My monitor is 1440x900, so a little below 1080, but happy to scale that back a little to get a decent result!

Yep i took those at 1440x900 too, so if the 5770 is more powerful than the 9600 (i dont know off the top of my head) you should be fine.

edit

5770 isnt mentioned in the benchmark, but if its comprable to the 5870, youre golden

xD0g0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm reading it runs like a dog. Not buying. Stick of buying games that have awful optimisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Runs v sweet for me at 1920x1200, can max it with full AA and Vsync (Quad @3.8Ghz and 6870). Great game, glad I'm finally getting to play it in all it's glory. The console cinematics really show up how much lower the details are on consoles.

Getting the time to play games these days is my biggest issue

I can max this out at 1440x900 on my GTX 275, Q6600 @3.0GHz. Runs like butter for almost the entirety of my couple of hours playing it.

I can max this out at 1440x900 on my GTX 275, Q6600 @3.0GHz. Runs like butter for almost the entirety of my couple of hours playing it.
    Plays well maxed out on my 5770 too at 1600x900
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Great game, glad I'm finally getting to play it in all it's glory. The console cinematics really show up how much lower the details are on consoles.
    The cinematics use better character models etc... but it's just compressed video, and too compressed tbh. They looked better on the telly box, but the rest of the game looks better on the PC!

Have to say, maxed out this looks absolutely stunning on my PC. Puts the console version to absolute shame. Its ****ing beautiful in motion

6898088689_e6e0290b53_b.jpg

6898086113_b801b99082_b.jpg

6898084583_7313487c19_b.jpg

Noticed some unusual effects on the edges of some of the large overhead lights:
    6898825747_046559b7b6_b.jpg
    AlanWake 2012-02-18 18-16-20-53 by DamoElDiablo, on Flickr

Otherwise, the game looks stunning!
    6898825613_205b3bc3c7_b.jpg
    AlanWake 2012-02-18 18-16-00-54 by DamoElDiablo, on Flickr
    6898825475_85d959d10c_b.jpg
    AlanWake 2012-02-18 18-27-47-68 by DamoElDiablo, on Flickr

Some nice comparison shots on PC gamer, like for like.

Petrol station: Xbox360 PC

Town: Xbox360 PC

Mine: Xbox360 PC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,271 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

5770 isnt mentioned in the benchmark, but if its comprable to the 5870, youre golden

xD0g0.png

5770 is the equivalent of a 4870 unfortunately

Skerries wrote: »
    5770 is the equivalent of a 4870 unfortunately

My 4870 runs it on close to max @ 1680x1050, 30fps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Completely missed this when it came out before.

Should i pick it up for the ole xbox now? It is pretty cheap.

I could get it for the PC, but I won't be home much until college is proper done and finished, and I have my xbox here with me.

Advertisement