Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Sat – Recovery, 5.66, 8:20, HR 131

Enjoyable early morning run, legs good

Sun – LSR, 20 27 miles, 8:18, HR 131

Few lessons learnt today –

1 A paced LSR less than 36 hours after a race is not a good idea.
    2 Clear Garmin history occasionally.
    3 Don’t do heavy gardening after a 20 mile run.

As I have no definite targets at the moment I have been racing most weeks but keeping my options open regarding the marathon in Waterford at the end of the month. In case I do I needed to put in a few decent LSRs so after last week I wanted to do one nearer marathon pace so set out with a few miles warmup, followed by 12 at 8 min and a slower finish over a two-loop course.

Cool enough starting out (6.15 am), but after settling in upped the run to marathon pace and banged out the next 5 miles readily enough. Then noticed the Garmin was full and lost the next couple of miles back to the start as I thought it would record in the background. Cleared the Garmin, re-fuelled and set off again but this time struggled to hold the 8-min pace as it wandered around between 7:43 and 8:12, while averaging 8:00. Had been listening to an old podcast of Marathon Talk where there was a discussion on symptoms and treatment of ITB and Achilles issues, inevitably I noticed issues with both:o. The last few paced miles were unduly hard as the legs got tireder, the effort got harder and the HR climbed by the mile. Glad to get it done but the gardening is what finished me – feet up for rest of the day:).

Mon - Hill Repeats, 2.72 miles, 9:18, HR 133

Feel a bit of a fraud the day that was in it, did the half in Cork last year. If this had been 2.62 miles in 26.2 minutes it would have completed the irony. While it seems everyone else was doing from 10k to 42k I was jogging a few inclines:o.

Still, this was post a 20-miler on Sunday so necessarily short. Did my 6 x 400 as hard as I felt able, legs still had the previous day in them. Struggled to get the HR up to last week's levels but was happy enough.

699.55 miles YTD - could have added the extra

Wed - Med run, 7.7 miles, 8 min pace, no Garmin

Left work a little early so did this run in heat of mid-afternoon. Started briskly enough but found my lunch had not settled and it started to mix with some energy drink I had before starting out. I had visions of sugar, cheese and apples fermenting away in the heat and creating a semi-alcoholic brew - imagination is a great thing:).

Was out on a 2-mile looped course and, with the stomach issues, was prepared to throw in the towel by the end of the first lap but kept going as the final quarter mile was in the shade of the trees so revived enough to drive on for another lap. Did four in total and would have done another one but, with no Garmin to monitor the pace, it seemed like hard work for the sake of it.

Fri - Deadmans 5 Mile, 34:40, 6:56, HR 157

You gotta love the name:p. This was one I hadn't done before but will do again. How could you not love starting down the length of the main street of the town to the sound of Bruce's 'Born to Run' blaring out of speakers on nearly every lamp post - brilliant:).

Went into this just to give it a blast, it turned out to be gentle ups and downs for most of the race, most of the downs in the second half where you would want them. Course has good potential for a time but the heat was probably too much, 24/25C, which was above my temperate tolerance level (I'm no sun bunny;)). 4th mile, downhill, I could only manage 7:03 and while I finished with a 6:34 was a bit disappointed with the time - but a PB is a PB, even if it is only 5 seconds:rolleyes:.

Everyone felt the heat and one poor soul collapsed 400 yards from the finish and spent half an hour in the ambulance, but recovered. Drank a gallon of tea - and sweated out every drop again, ate a lots of buns and cake and basically had a ball - thanks Carrick-on-Suir AC -this running is great craic.

Sat - Recovery, 5.66 miles, 8:33, HR 124

Out for a relaxed run in the early morning sunshine.

Sun - LSR, 20.15 miles, 8:33, HR 130

The third of my 20-mile runs on consecutive weeks to see if there was any chance of running Waterford at the end of the month. Got out early as had no wish to suffer in the heat (summer might be gone by Tuesday:P).

Tried out my snood, picked up at the Mallow 10-mile, as I sweat freely enough and have to say it worked brilliantly so will be using it again on hot days. Ate a banana, muesli bar and energy drink before I started and went out at a relaxed pace with no plan except time on my feet. The pace settled at around 8:40 for the first 5 miles but picked up as the profile moved from generally uphill to the reverse. Stopped after 11 miles to have another muesli bar and a half bottle of water. Headed back on the second half of the loop and discovered there was a strong enough breeze but it was very much a benefit as it took the sting out of the heat. Stopped at 15 miles for a gel and to finish the water and picked up the pace for the last 5 miles to an average 8:20 so pleased to finish strongly.

Home by 10am, showered and stood on the scales to see 10st 10lb, down 5lbs in three days, this hot weather is great for weight loss (probably put back 3lbs with a refuelling breakfast:(). Finally hit my Jan 12 target of seeing sub-11st so all is good:).

• Advertisement

Mon - Tempo, 4.39 miles, 7:47, HR 131

Did this in Dublin in Clondalkin Park around the playing fields. Dead flat loops for a change, this and the fall in temperature was reflected in the HR.

Wed - Hill Repeats, 2.76 miles, 9:14, HR 136

6 x 400m repeats, took a little time to get into this as cold, wet and windy (must be summer?) but found it hard on the legs, as it should be. Max HR was 147, 148, 152, 156, 157 and 159 so progressed in the right direction.

Signed up for Waterford marathon on the 29th, more for the charity than for any other reason, not looking forward to it the way I should, probably because it is not an 'A' race. Will be going out to enjoy it rather than for a particular time. (Must remind myself of this in a couple of weeks:))

Fri - Clashmore 5 Mile, 35:38, 7:07, HR ???

Run up to this was not promising, had a tough couple of days with work/domestic issues, poor sleep and nutrition, turned up very late for start, minimal warmup... ...all led up to an epic fail. When you are walking halfway through a 5-miler you are having a stinker:o:o.

With the weather all day nearly pulled the plug on this one but told myself to cop on and headed down but didn't leave enough time. Pulled on the gear and went for a quick warmup, the HR strap felt loose but didn't bother to adjust it and it fell off after the first mile. Didn't know the course except there was a hill in the middle, was told it was not a PB course anyway so head was not in right place starting out.

Started out too fast as I knew those I was with were in a different league so cut back and tried to get my breathing settled but was still struggling with this when we hit the main hill. Worked hard with my core and shorter stride pattern but it was a night when the head got the better of the body and I pulled up after a couple of minutes fighting with myself. Walked for about 50 seconds and kicked off again to find the crown of the hill was only 400 yards further on and it was downhill all the way to the finish from there:mad:. Picked it up fairly well in last two miles but was double-chicked in the final mile (scrambled?) to finish out a less than happy evening.

Annoyed with myself for not pacing an unknown course better and doubly annoyed at letting the head rule the heart. Lesson - mental preparation is key.

Sat - Recovery, 5.64 miles, 8:22, HR 129

Stomach had given me a few issues both before and during last night's race and was still giving a bit of gipp this morning but told myself to HTFU and got out and did this. Cool starting out but warm enough by the finish.

Sun - Med Run, 13.09 miles, 7:53, HR 137

13.09 miles, who does 13.09 miles:eek:? I looked at it but decided it would be a bit ridiculous to restart the Garmin for the 17 yards (OK, 17.6 yards:)).

Intention was to do a tempo run at around MP but when I got out there I ran it at sub-8 as I don't really have a marathon pace in mind at present.

Due to major commitments today the only chance was to be out before the sun got up so set the alarm for 5am:eek: and grabbed a bite and was out running before the shadows were gone, cool enough. Wanted to do somewhere between 12 and 15 miles but made up the route on the hoof, so now I have an exact half mapped out for my next attempt:rolleyes:.

Happy with the pacing, felt hard but a sub 1:45 half on an undulating course should do. Have no nutrition strategy worked out and no practice done, also need to vaseline feet as got a couple of hot spots from the socks which is new thing. Need to come up with a taper plan as well - now where did I leave P&D and Daniels.....

Tue - Tempo, 5.64 miles, 7:47, HR 137

Picked up a new pair of GT 2000s in the sale on the weekend and decided to give them a turn to make sure they were OK. What originally was supposed to be a recovery run turned into something more energetic as I spent so much time on how the shoes were feeling (OK, how my feet were feeling in the shoes:)) that the pace was way above where it should have been. Rather than waste effort in the early miles I kept it up for the rest of the run which was fairly hilly so it was a good workout.

Wed - Recovery, 5.30 miles, 7:57, HR 136

Pace was too high for recovery but it was genuinely a more relaxed run on a fairly flat loop. HR is a giveaway but putting that down to the very warm evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Lots of work being done here slowsteady, you'll have a great mara on the 29th :) What's the aim?

• Advertisement

Fri - Dromana 5 Mile, 33:59, 6:47, HR 153

Supposed to be the final weekend of taper for the marathon next week - what else would you do but bust your PB for 5 miles by 40 secs? :P:rolleyes:

The rain came down in sheets on the drive over for this race but by the time we got down to the start it had settled to a misty drizzle and was wetter under the trees than in the open. The rain had cooled the temperatures so that it was perfect for running and the trees kept whatever breeze there was to a minimum.

With the impending 26.2 and the banter around the start I had not made up my mind what I was going to do but when a clubmate who I know is around my level and who beat me well last week (he didn't walk:o) moved in front of me I decided to use him as pacer. As a result I avoided my usual failing and covered the first couple of miles in 6:59 and 6:42 and was not blowing out my a$$ as normal for the second half.

Having drifted off my pacer I spent the next couple of miles working back on to his shoulder and gradually pushed on through the final mile keeping strong for the rise to the finish. Did not look at the watch once so was delighted to see the time on the finish clock. The official result might add a second or two but I'm going with the 33:xx from the Garmin.

Real taper starts here:rolleyes:
    RubyK wrote: »
    Lots of work being done here slowsteady, you'll have a great mara on the 29th :) What's the aim?
    As you see above I'm not taking this too seriously:D. It was never an 'A' race and while I have no doubt on the day I will push a few limits I am absolutely avoiding a target, this one is for fun (at the moment)

Sat - Recovery, 3.04 miles, 9:38, HR 114

Needed to do this early as a leg loosener ahead of a trip to Donegal. One of shortest and definitely slowest runs of the year. Can't remember HR being as low, ever. Legs are grand after last night's blowout, officially sub-34:D.

Taper time.

Wow, nice going at Dromana - you have a unique style of tapering :D

Take it easy now til Saturday ;)

Mon - Easy Tempo, 5.66 miles, 8:00, HR 139

Plan was to go for a nice marathon paced run on quiet country roads but a serious accident on the nearby main road resulted in streams of cars, arctics and buses creating a fairly hazardous dodgems arena. Speeded up to get off the road but was interrupted half a dozen times by lost motorists looking for directions. Result was an involuntary interval session:rolleyes:

Prior to going to Donegal on the weekend I managed to strain something in my lower back and many hours driving up and down did nothing to help ease the discomfort. Was fine last night but niggled all day today, a dose of Nurofen has eased it for now but hope it goes away soon.
    RubyK wrote: »
    you have a unique style of tapering :D

If it works I'll write a book:p

Thurs - Recovery 3.04 miles, 9:19, HR 128

First run in three days and badly needed, legs acquired every niggle imaginable in the past couple of days, knees, glutes, quads, achilles, arches - only parts not to complain were the calves (probably waiting till Saturday:P).

Easy relaxed few miles with some strides thrown in...now for the mental battle about a target.....Oh yeah, there is no target.....:rolleyes:

Sat – Viking Marathon, 3:39:38, 8:18, HR 145

Twitter version

Repeat of 2012, cramps for last 6 miles, improved 17 secs!!! Can’t walk:eek:

Longer version, for the masochists:D

Not an ‘A’ race so rocked up without a specific aim in mind. At registration was given number 335 so had 3:35 in the back of my head as my PB was 3:39 and change. Temp was ideal with light mist in the air so all good, as ‘I don’t do heat’. Lined up behind the 3:30 pacers and decided to follow them for a while and see what happened. Aim was very much to enjoy the day and take it all in.

Relaxed start to the race with lots of banter between the group and with the spectators, warmed up fairly quickly but with the cloud was no real issue. The route was very flat up to the Lacken Road, shortly after this the half runners peeled off and the crowd thinned out. The run out to Tramore was undulating but fine with one significant downhill at 11 miles. The half was completed in around 1:44, no official time, even though there was a gantry. The sun had now come out and the temperature was building rapidly. There was a short sharp hill, 200 yards, I felt a twinge in the calves and if it had gone on another 100 I think I could have had trouble but it was a sign of things to come. A further mile on, passing the Majestic, was where I came to grief with cramps last year and now I was conscious I needed to mind myself. Had a gel and energy drink before the start and had 4 gels in total plus water at every stop so I was well hydrated.

First real sign of trouble was the HR started to rise, I put this down to the temperature as I was still comfortable with the pace. An unexpected twist was when we turned back into Tramore at the last roundabout for a trip up and down the road for 300 yards – if the organisers had been quicker off the mark they could have cut this out when they realised the course was long. As we headed back in to Waterford, mile 19, I got the first serious cramps and managed to work through them but dropped about 15 secs on the pacer. On the climb up the hill we went down at mile 11 I needed to keep going but here was my first walk as the cramp in my right calf had me hobbling. Off the top of the hill I got going again and kept up an 8:40 pace for the next 3 miles, walking the water stations but the cramps came back every time I tried to up the pace. From mile 22 onwards I degenerated into survival mode as the cramps hit me time after time. The only thing that stood to me was I knew stopping to stretch last year hadn’t worked so I walked/hobbled till it eased and got going again. 9:13, 9:36,11:00:eek:, 9:04, the last being entirely downhill shows the trouble I was in. Knowing there was still a chance of a PB I forced the pace in this time but the last 0.47 mile at 9:43 pace including the loop of the track shows there was nothing left. Missed a PB by 4 seconds. The cramps hit me very hard after stopping and I haven’t been able to walk properly since.

Temperature was 23 degrees at the finish so heat was a factor as last year. The good news (which is obvious to those more experienced than me) is that I was talking to a couple of 100 Marathon runners who simply said ‘salt tablets’ so I need another marathon to see if it works.

Did I enjoy it, yes, was it painful, yes, as bad as any race I was ever in, but if you learn something then it is worth it. Good day.

Despite the unconventional training and taper sub-3:30 is there if I keep up the training but now (with a few beers in me) will it be Longford or Dublin. Depends very much on the recovery I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

slowsteady wrote: »

Longer version, for the masochists:D

Not an ‘A’ race so rocked up without a specific aim in mind. At registration was given number 335 so had 3:35 in the back of my head as my PB was 3:39 and change. Temp was ideal with light mist in the air so all good, as ‘I don’t do heat’. Lined up behind the 3:30 pacers and decided to follow them for a while and see what happened. Aim was very much to enjoy the day and take it all in.

Relaxed start to the race with lots of banter between the group and with the spectators, warmed up fairly quickly but with the cloud was no real issue. The route was very flat up to the Lacken Road, shortly after this the half runners peeled off and the crowd thinned out. The run out to Tramore was undulating but fine with one significant downhill at 11 miles. The half was completed in around 1:44, no official time, even though there was a gantry. The sun had now come out and the temperature was building rapidly. There was a short sharp hill, 200 yards, I felt a twinge in the calves and if it had gone on another 100 I think I could have had trouble but it was a sign of things to come. A further mile on, passing the Majestic, was where I came to grief with cramps last year and now I was conscious I needed to mind myself. Had a gel and energy drink before the start and had 4 gels in total plus water at every stop so I was well hydrated.

First real sign of trouble was the HR started to rise, I put this down to the temperature as I was still comfortable with the pace. An unexpected twist was when we turned back into Tramore at the last roundabout for a trip up and down the road for 300 yards – if the organisers had been quicker off the mark they could have cut this out when they realised the course was long. As we headed back in to Waterford, mile 19, I got the first serious cramps and managed to work through them but dropped about 15 secs on the pacer. On the climb up the hill we went down at mile 11 I needed to keep going but here was my first walk as the cramp in my right calf had me hobbling. Off the top of the hill I got going again and kept up an 8:40 pace for the next 3 miles, walking the water stations but the cramps came back every time I tried to up the pace. From mile 22 onwards I degenerated into survival mode as the cramps hit me time after time. The only thing that stood to me was I knew stopping to stretch last year hadn’t worked so I walked/hobbled till it eased and got going again. 9:13, 9:36,11:00:eek:, 9:04, the last being entirely downhill shows the trouble I was in. Knowing there was still a chance of a PB I forced the pace in this time but the last 0.47 mile at 9:43 pace including the loop of the track shows there was nothing left. Missed a PB by 4 seconds. The cramps hit me very hard after stopping and I haven’t been able to walk properly since.

Temperature was 23 degrees at the finish so heat was a factor as last year. The good news (which is obvious to those more experienced than me) is that I was talking to a couple of 100 Marathon runners who simply said ‘salt tablets’ so I need another marathon to see if it works.

Did I enjoy it, yes, was it painful, yes, as bad as any race I was ever in, but if you learn something then it is worth it. Good day.

Despite the unconventional training and taper sub-3:30 is there if I keep up the training but now (with a few beers in me) will it be Longford or Dublin. Depends very much on the recovery I suspect.

Well done on a great race. I think if we run relax we will run better. Have a time in ur head but dont make it the end all. Will follow with interest for your next race.

Well done on a great race. I think if we run relax we will run better. Have a time in ur head but dont make it the end all. Will follow with interest for your next race.
    So will I:P.

Have now had 3 marathon results in a 20 second spread at 3:39:xx so need to step it up. Hopefully the salt tabs are the answer. Legs are fragile today but recovering.

Massive congrats on Saturdays race slowsteady! While I thought the weather was perfect (for halfmara) when we set off a 9, it did really begin to hot up after 11o'clock. That was a brilliant time you ran, and I hope the legs are loosening out and you enjoy the recovery :)

• Advertisement

Tues - Recovery 3.29 miles, 9:03, HR 119

First run after the marathon, calves had been very stiff but otherwise legs had generally felt OK. Ran very easily but a little bit surprised at the pace, however, the HR tells that it was relaxed enough.

Wed – Easy Tempo, 5.66 miles, 8:03, HR 132

Legs seemed to be stiffer than I wanted but that was probably just the hazards of a desk job. Once out on the road the legs improved hugely and this run felt easy enough to allow me to step up the pace to such an extent that this turned into a good tempo run. After 5 miles I dropped the pace back and cooled down over the last stretch.

Fri – Dungarvan 5 miles, 34:19, 6:52, HR 152

This is a very fast course and one to aim for if you’re planning a P.B’ - how do you pass up a race like that even if you are only 6 days after a marathon? As I had never run it before I decided to try it but not for a PB, I thought after Wed that the legs were recovering well but didn’t want to risk a full out blast. Fantastic evening and as it turned out the course was as promised.

I decide to track a clubmate with whom I have a friendly rivalry but after about half a mile let him go as the pace was too hot and my major aim was to avoid doing damage. Despite taking the foot off the pedal the first mile was 6:25 to be followed by 6:49. I relaxed further and the third mile was 7:17. Since the first mile only 3 people had passed me and I had got 3 back so we were all square, at this point I was chicked by another clubmate so upped the game for the rest of the run and finished with 6:48 and 6:49, getting done in the final quarter by one more runner. Given I didn’t go into the red zone at all and was only 20 seconds off my shiny PB of 2 weeks ago I was well pleased. My early rival beat my PB by 20 seconds so I reckon I could have knocked a further half a minute of my best on another night. Need to do this race again next year.

Sat – Recovery, 3.29 miles, 9:38, HR 103

A very easy run this morning before the heat of the day, look at that heart rate:cool:, about 10 beats lower than anything I ever did before.

Briefly considered a 5k race down in Kilmore Quay this evening as I reckon I could kill my PB at the moment but sense prevailed, whatever the chance of injury last night it would be doubled in a short sharp effort like this (my self restraint is amazing:rolleyes: – to me that is:D).

Tues - Hill Repeats, 3.59 miles, 10:08 pace, HR 124

Briefly thought about running last night but decided I didn't need to prove I was 50% lard/50% water so got out this morning at 5am in a cool 18 degrees :eek:.

Both achilles still feel stiff from the marathon (note to self - stretches) so opted for a short session of hills. Did 8 x 400 with recovery jogging back down to start. Max HR rose progressively from 137 to 153, falling back to 100-106 each time. Wasn't feeling the love today and found it hard to get going indicated by the HR being 10 beats lower than the last time I did this. Need a good kick somewhere sore:).

slowsteady wrote: »
    Wasn't feeling the love today
    Didn't get any better for the rest of the day, ITB issues due to going up hills:( and achilles issues due to going down hills:( - maybe I will pass on hills for the time being. Legs felt horrible for the next 36 hours so only one solution - stress them again in another session.

Wed - Tempo, 5.66 miles, 7:47 pace, HR 138

Despite the heat, 27C, went out for this run yesterday evening but made one mistake - invited my daughter along on her bike and within a mile got a 'is this as fast as you go?'. Good discipline having company as less inclination to slack off as the core temperature rose rapidly. Could feel the ITB and achilles issues but drove on and they feel much better this morning. Not the greatest run but job done.

Had one of life's pleasures we seldom get to enjoy in this country when I got back - an ice-cold shower, normally a penance but this time a luxury:p.

Catch Up Mail

Due to serious family illness my training has been a bit all over the place so a brief update for continuity.

12 Jul Rathgormack 5 Mile, 35:05, 7:01 pace, HR 150 – Hilly course, warm night, happy to hold off a young ‘un in the sprint for the line.

13 Jul Recovery, 5.66 miles, 8:22, HR 122

14 Jul LSR, 13.88 miles, 8:32, HR 122 – First long run since marathon, happy enough

17 Jul Steady, 5.64 miles, 8:11, HR 131

20 Jul Recovery, 5.67 miles, 8:17, HR 123

21 Jul LSR, 16.29 miles, 8:22, HR 127 – Good run, legs recovering

24 Jul Tempo, 5.66 miles, 7:23, HR 148 – Enjoyed pushing this

26 Jul Ballymacarbry 5 Mile, 34:44, 6:57 pace, HR 153 – Enjoyable race with a little bit of hilly trail

27 Jul Recovery, 5.63 miles, 8:33, HR 117

28 Jul LSR, 20.13 miles, 8:43, HR 123 – Needed to do this to see if I was up to another marathon, happy with the run

31 Jul Tempo, 5.67 miles, 7:40, HR 138 – found this hard in the heat

2 Aug Piltown 10k, 42:42, 6:52 pace, HR 157 – fairly flat course, nice evening, no wind, PB by nearly a minute:)

3 Aug Recovery, 5.65 miles, 8:23, HR 125

4 Aug LSR, 16.65 miles, 8:42, HR 136 – Schoolboy error, due to hectic weekend did this at 6am following no proper food since Sat lunch. All OK till 8 miles when bonked in serious fashion, muesli bar and water are no substitute for real food so struggled home in 8, long, 9:15 paced miles, stupid:mad:

6 Aug Tempo, 5.68 miles, 7:37, HR 149 – hard going, HR way up for the pace

9 Aug Ardmore 5 Mile, 33:31, 6:42 pace, HR 156 – did this as a stress release, no target pace, ran very much by feel, good course and ideal weather resulted in another PB by almost 30 seconds – second PB in a week:)

10 Aug Recovery, 3.32 miles, 8:44, HR 141 – HR very high, stress

11 Aug Tempo, 10.01 miles, 7:47, HR 139 – another stress release, tough hilly loop

17 Aug Recovery, 8.68 miles, 8:32, HR 121 – no run for nearly a week, needed to get out but legs were kicking up after 4, long way home

18 Aug LSR, 16.02 miles, 8:31, HR 132 - last long run before Longford so needed a confidence booster – didn’t get it – legs felt heavy, achy, tired. Felt worse over following two days but hopefully will come around

20 Aug Recovery, 5.48 miles, 8:12, HR 134 – Easy run just to keep the legs turning over for next weekend

24 Aug Recovery, 3.04 miles, 9:12, HR 133 – Felt horrible but needed to try and relax the legs ahead of tomorrow, aches everywhere but taper madness? HR very high for pace:(

Longford Marathon, 3:36:58, 8:17 pace, HR 141

After bringing home Waterford at the end of June in 3:39:xx for the third marathon in a row I decided to do another one this autumn to get this monkey off my back. It was either Longford or Dublin and as I couldn’t face ploughing on with serious training into the late autumn it made Longford an easy choice. I accepted that I wouldn’t be able to do anything startling but I was determined to both improve my time and to experiment with salt/energy tabs to avoid the cramps that have plagued my recent attempts.

However, training was less than ideal as family issues constantly disrupted my schedule so training was fitted in as and when. Sleep and nutrition were hit and miss as well so, all in all, expectations were limited.

In view of the above, plan was to go out for a 3:34:00 target at as even a pace as possible and hopefully avoid cramping.

Up at 5am and hit the road at 6.15. Arrived in Longford at 8:30 just as the ultra lads and the walkers were heading out. Picked up my number and goody bag (excellent) and went to make only partial use of the facilities, this was to be a problem.

Weather was perfect, warm with a gentle breeze, went for a gentle jog to loosen the legs but the aches and stiffness that have been there for the past week were very much in evidence, particularly a pain in the right Achilles. Thought this might bring the outing to an abrupt end but a few painful stretches and strides and it seemed to become more tolerable.

Race started quietly enough, maybe 500 including half runners, heading around the streets and out of town. Stuck fairly rigidly to the Garmin virtual partner, determined not to go out too fast, 8:10 being the target pace, after 2 miles was up about 20 seconds and kept it to this for the next 3 miles. In the stretch to the 10 mile mark settled in with a local girl who was running almost my pace and added about 2-3 seconds a mile so that at that point was up about 50 seconds. Legs hadn’t given any particular problems but could feel the right Achilles with every stride.

At each water station my new partner slowed for a drink while I ran on with my bottle charged up with Zero tabs, she then chased rapidly until she got a couple of yards and settled down again in the lead. This suited me perfectly as she did all the pacing and I just relaxed. However from 12 on the pace increased a touch and I let a gap develop and it was only at the relay changeover at halfway I found she was handing over. We thanked each other as I passed and headed off largely on my own from here as the field was spread out and I never found another runner to match up with.

As we turned off the main road after Roosky there was a Portaloo but as I hadn’t had any issues I decided it would be a loss of a couple of minutes and I was only 1:04 up on target. Of course, it was barely out of sight when I got a cramp in my lower area, this passed but was to recur every mile or so, gradually getting worse with each spasm. I took two gels in the next 5 miles and each swig of water triggered another spasm until I was forced to check each field as we passed to assess its suitability as a convenience. I finally found one at around 18 miles and duly communed with nature, apologies to that Longford farmer.

From here on I found my rhythm was gone and my stomach had had enough of the Zero tabs, but just after the 19 mile marker I got a small cramp in my left calf, my immediate reaction was to tell it to f*** off, which it duly did, but I slowed to try to manage the next one. I got another mile before another couple came at me but managed to stay running. From here on I was into damage limitation as the pace slowed to 8:18, 8:24, 8:37, 8:31, 8:51, 8:56, 9:10. My target was gone but I was determined to beat 3:39:xx and as long as I did that I was happy. In the end came in comfortably enough under target.

Overall, a bit done, more to do, so chalk it down, another incremental PB, making 3 PBs in 3 races. Against a background where my mother passed away last week it gives some hope for the future.

Hey there slowsteady, really sorry to read about the loss of you Mother, I can't imagine how tough a time you have had recently. Makes your marathon pb all the more special.

Congrats on great times in the four local races too :)

Hope you are recovering well. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi Slowsteady;

So sorry to hear about your mum, I lost my mum nov 2011 and it took alot out of me, even though you think it doesn't. I cant say i know what your going thru as its different for everyone, but she will always be with you and by your side when you need that inner strength.

So doing a marathon and getting a pb in it so soon after is an amazing feat. Take some time to allow your body to heal at all levels, you come back stronger for it.

Thanks for the good wishes folks, its a time of life most of us are fortunate if we only go through a few times and to be honest it was a bit surreal on ocassion, but she passed peacefully at home and that is the main thing.

The running proved to be a good release and I was a little surprised how it went as there was little proper focus. The rest of the year will be much the same as there will be little stability around home for the moment so a definite programme will be hard to implement.

In the meantime I have to perform respectably in the Athlone half next month but first have to find new legs as the batteries are flat in the current pair:). Seriously, they feel tired but not too bad overall as Sunday was not an all out effort.

Genzyme 5 miles, 34:16, 6:51 pace, HR 156

Having not run a step since finishing Longford last Sunday I was very conscious this needed to be a disciplined run as Athlone is approaching and I need recovery rather than potential injury. Decided to aim for sub-7 min but no more - as a guy who normally runs with me said 'Yeah, heard that one before'.

Race was being run in aid of MS Society and I always tell my kids that the charity is the reason I run as they think their dad should have more sense at his age:p. It was somewhat humbling to bump into an old friend I hadn't seen in over 20 years who was down at the race, with a walking frame, as a sufferer come to support the runners - a reminder of how fortunate we are to be able to do what we love.

Good to my word I ran the first mile in 6:27(:o, it was downhill) but steadied for the next few, 5:53, 6:52, 6:54 before the final mile which was a slight uphill in 7:06. I could feel last week in the calves over the final stretch so there was no sprint to the line.

Sat – Recovery, 5.79 miles, 8:16, HR 122

A faster than planned run this morning but could feel the chill in the air for the first time this autumn and having started steady found the pace drifting upwards. Concentrated on form as I feel my running style is very sloppy and I burn energy unneccessarily, this caused the pace to pick up. Having been fairly stiff all week the legs feel more flexible with only a few niggles remaining.

• Advertisement

Sun - Med with 5 miles at HMP, 11.17 miles. 7:56, HR 136

Thinking of Athlone, plan was 10 miles with 5 at HMP, which for me was 7:24. Wasn't too confident as the legs were only OK and had two days of hard-ish workouts.

Very cool at 6.45am, real autumn, enough to think about digging out the long sleeved tops, took the first 3 miles to shake off the chill, by which time I was a further half a mile into what was supposed to be the first HMP-paced mile:(. Kicked up the pace and did 5.5 miles to make up, average 7:25 on what was an undulating but slightly uphill section, so pleased enough.

Legs tired but no serious niggles, hope it continues, still on target:).

Advertisement