Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boot door light on dashboard

• 21-04-2014 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi.
    l have a 03 skoda octavia. Lately the boot door light comes on and stays on all the time on the dashboard, even after locking the doors, it stays on. The only way l can turn it off is to open the boot door and close it again. But when l drive, its comes on again. Its so annoying cos if l forget to open and close the boot door, it runs down the battery.
    How do l fix this?

Comments

Look for a boot lid switch.

Could be like this
    pic.php?u=13814dJrv7&i=14103
    ...possibly also integrated into the latch.

Make sure it's seated correctly, aligned to it's mating surface and has good electric connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Switch is my first guess too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

I tried to clean the 2 switches (which l think they are the right ones) and for awhile it seems to work but l'm back to square 1 again! Also l couldn't see any wiring connected to the switches. If l disconnect the switches, how and would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the switch not built into the latch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The open/closed switch on all VAG cars is integral to the lock module on all the locks. Two possibilities immediately spring to mind on this one:

A leaking rear washer pipe has doused the module and messed up the electronics. Happened to me before and I ended up needing a new lock.

The lock internals are a bit gunked up with dried out grease and dirt. Spraying in there with some WD40 while working the lock might help on this count. Be sure to spray some spray grease in there afterwards.

Other possibilities are cracked/damaged wiring between the bootlid and body, worn switches in the lock, worn electronics module. These would probably lead to more serious problems than you're reporting though.

• Advertisement

Hi back again.

Still having problem with the boot door light. For awhile it was fine but it happening again.
    Also since then l have more problems, the radio doesn't work half the time, sometimes it will come on by itself or doesn't if l press the button (loose wiring?) and the driver's window won't open even though the motor is working. At the moment l can't afford to get it fix as l had new tyres and service done just before the boot door light started.

Is it possible to fix the window myself? Not too worried about the boot door light or the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does your Octavia have a blaupunkt CD player?

Like this
    lausanne_cd30.jpg

yes. l do but a different model. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

+1 for Chimaeras post.

Same thing happened to my Golf (2000). Common problem on our generation of cars is leaking rear washer pipes and/or easily junked up lock internals.

The same problem can be seen in the door latches over time when the headlight warning tone stops working for the drivers door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

sweetsugar wrote: »
    Hi back again.

Still having problem with the boot door light. For awhile it was fine but it happening again.
    Also since then l have more problems, the radio doesn't work half the time, sometimes it will come on by itself or doesn't if l press the button (loose wiring?) and the driver's window won't open even though the motor is working. At the moment l can't afford to get it fix as l had new tyres and service done just before the boot door light started.

Is it possible to fix the window myself? Not too worried about the boot door light or the radio

Look up problem in the briskoda forum,def get an expert answer/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

bbk wrote: »
    +1 for Chimaeras post.

Same thing happened to my Golf (2000). Common problem on our generation of cars is leaking rear washer pipes and/or easily junked up lock internals.

The same problem can be seen in the door latches over time when the headlight warning tone stops working for the drivers door.

The problem in the doors is the solder joints cracking in the electronic module. Reflowing the solder joints is the fix there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Chimaera wrote: »
    The problem in the doors is the solder joints cracking in the electronic module. Reflowing the solder joints is the fix there.

Does that mean the light warning tone will never work again because mine has started working relatively regularly now.

Advertisement