Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone Site Hell - Google Map Embed

Options
  • 06-04-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

So i'm making a small iPhone site for a chain of Irish stores and I've encountered a problem. I want to embed a Google map into a webpage with the store locations on it but for some strange reason when the page is opened by the iPhone it auto detects the map and launches the iPhone map app.

Unfortunately, it doesn't even go ahead and load the markers/pins it just shows the devices current GPS location on a normal map.

Is there any code that script or php that will forbid the iPhone from auto launching the map app? That way the page will just display the embedded google map with the markers.

Cheers in advanced guys,

Thanks for any help :)

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Code?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Sorry I mean is there any additional script, or any changes I can make to the Google embed code that will prevent it from launching the app.

I cant find any and i've been searching all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

I think Aidan means can we see your code? I've a google map on my site, and it doesn't behave that way on an iphone

http://tinyurl.com/yb8z5ln

I threw this together real quick as an example so please ignore the sloppyness.

Anyway,

I'm using iWebKit because I find it easy to use but it could be the cause of the problem. The problem isnt when viewing the link in safari, it's when launched as a bookmark from the desktop.

On an iPhone:
    1) Click the link above, follow the link to page2.html and all will look fine.

2) Click the link above and hit '+' and 'Add to 'Homescreen'. Then launch from the homescreen and follow the link to page2.html, the map app will open.

:/

Your test page loads all three markers, doesn't open the Maps application or appear to look for my current location on my 3GS with 3.1.3.

• Advertisement

But did you open it via a bookmark on the homepage?

Ah, now I see what you mean. I'm not sure, and can't see anything obvious in the code that would be doing it.

Advertisement