Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jquery or this..?

• 03-04-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was asking my developer to integrate a jquery slideshow such as this one on to my site instead of a flash slideshow, to add more usability and to better SEO. They are saying that they cannot add it;
    its not suitable for the site, as it would require a lot of CSS modifications. We would require to take expert's opinion on if this can be done, as its virtuemart image modification, not Joomla images that we are modifying.

Instead they said they could add something like what you can see here. Is that a good alternative and should I ask them to go ahead with that?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from development.

Post a link to your own site so we can see where you're trying to do this. "We would require to take expert's opinion ..." surely you're paying them to be the experts? But as I say, we'll know more once we've seen your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Moved from development.

Post a link to your own site so we can see where you're trying to do this. "We would require to take expert's opinion ..." surely you're paying them to be the experts? But as I say, we'll know more once we've seen your site.

Yeah I don't know what they meant by saying that. The site is boxobicycles.com, and it's to go in the space where the flash slideshow is at the moment.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Cianos wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know what they meant by saying that. The site is boxobicycles.com, and it's to go in the space where the flash slideshow is at the moment.

Thanks

boxobicycles.com appears to be using jQuery already. Is that your site or one you want to emulate? It also says 'Welcome to irondonkey.de' which is I guess is wrong, or is it still in development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

My understanding of what they say is that your site is running on Joomla and the slideshow you want to add is a standalone script which would have to be serviced separately (photos uploaded by FTP, links hand coded etc) while the one they suggest is Joomla plugin so most likely can be edited and updated through Joomla backend together with the rest of the site. They are probably reluctant to put in the one you want as it makes the site more fragmented and more difficult to update, which seems to be good practice on their side actually.

Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks very much for the replies. After making the OP the developers added in the jquery slideshow even after initially indicating they couldn't. I haven't seen yet how it's maintained or edited, so hopefully it won't be too tricky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement