Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty bullying taxi drivers

• 24-03-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

As a 34 year old woman, I don't usually burst into tears but last night was an exception. After a long hard week at work and carrying several heavy bags, I got into a taxi at the rank on Dawson Street, Dublin 2 to go 2.2KM to Barrow Street.
    As soon as I said where I wanted to go, the driver shouted at me the whole way, because apparently he had been at that rank for some time, and accused me of taking away his livelihood by asking to be taken such a short distance.
    It was a nasty threatening atmosphere which ended up with me bursting into tears while he belatedly offered apologies and tissues.
    At the same rank three weeks previously, I had tried to make the same journey and a driver refused to take me. I tried the next in line, who also refused. The third in line accepted the fare after much sighing and rolling of the eyes.
    I have written to the Taxi Regulator about this matter, but how can some taxi drivers claim to be hard done by while they refuse fares and cherry pick those they deem of sufficient value? Am really annoyed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

jollygood wrote: »
    As a 34 year old woman, I don't usually burst into tears but last night was an exception. After a long hard week at work and carrying several heavy bags, I got into a taxi at the rank on Dawson Street, Dublin 2 to go 2.2KM to Barrow Street.
    As soon as I said where I wanted to go, the driver shouted at me the whole way, because apparently he had been at that rank for some time, and accused me of taking away his livelihood by asking to be taken such a short distance.
    It was a nasty threatening atmosphere which ended up with me bursting into tears while he belatedly offered apologies and tissues.
    At the same rank three weeks previously, I had tried to make the same journey and a driver refused to take me. I tried the next in line, who also refused. The third in line accepted the fare after much sighing and rolling of the eyes.
    I have written to the Taxi Regulator about this matter, but how can some taxi drivers claim to be hard done by while they refuse fares and cherry pick those they deem of sufficient value? Am really annoyed!

Sorry to hear that. No excuse for sich behaviour. I have made complaints to the taxi regulator in the past. They do take them seriously and will speak to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

It makes me wonder if they are also refusing/shouting at little old ladies and elderly men who am sure make short trips all the time. If someone asked me to do my job, I don't refuse & they should't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

I suppose he wanted the €7 to go to someone else then...? Beggars can't be choosers. He'd sure hate working in New York City, where the same cab fare for that distance would work out to about €2.56 (currency conversion rates ATTOW), and no tip forthcoming in response to that kind of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

I've mostly apologise to taxi drivers when I get into a cab if I'm travelling a short distance, not because I feel like I'm wasting their time, but because I'm almost on the defensive almost straight away so I try to calm the mood in case he starts yelling at me. Beggars can't be choosers as the previous poster said.
    One doesn't deserve to be yelled at for travelling a short distance. It's the taxi driver's freakin' job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

It is unacceptable. There is a process in place to deal with this and you should use it. Ive said it here before that as long as people let this happen unchallenged it will only get worse. If this happens, just pay the fare and make sure you get a receipt, if you are unhappy with the driver ask him to stop the car, pay the fare and get the receipt, once you have your receipt then contact the National Transport Authority and they will deal with the driver, you may even get a refund.
    As for the drivers, it is very hard out there for drivers to earn a living but thats not the passengers fault or problem. If drivers dont like it then done do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

2qk4u wrote: »
    it is very hard out there for drivers to earn a living

It is. And treating customers like this won't make things better. The OP may avoid other taxi journeys, including lucrative ones, in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

A possible workaround is to pick the last cab in the rank. He/she should have nothing to complain about?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

Surely short journeys are much better for driver because of the ridiculously high standing charge. €7 x 6 short journeys an hour are better than one long one worth €30, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

n97 mini wrote: »
    A possible workaround is to pick the last cab in the rank. He/she should have nothing to complain about?
    From my perspective, that's probably what I would do, but a woman tired after a long time at work, or an old man with limited energy/education who doesn't spend his days reading about this kind of thing on boards like we do? If we assume that short journey = take the last cab in the rank, can we expect EVERYONE to be aware of the unwritten rule? I don't think so, hence, it cannot work.

Customer shouldn't have to reflect on the taxi drivers waiting time at the rank in relation to the fare they expect to pay, or ponder any other variables that one would not reasonably expect to have to consider. they should be able to just get a taxi and go, without being abused. No exceptions.

I take a very dim view of the taxi driver in the OPs story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

SeanW wrote: »
    n97 mini wrote: »
    From my perspective, that's probably what I would do, but a woman tired after a long time at work, or an old man with limited energy/education who doesn't spend his days reading about this kind of thing on boards like we do? If we assume that short journey = take the last cab in the rank, can we expect EVERYONE to be aware of the unwritten rule? I don't think so, hence, it cannot work.

Customer shouldn't have to reflect on the taxi drivers waiting time at the rank in relation to the fare they expect to pay, or ponder any other variables that one would not reasonably expect to have to consider. they should be able to just get a taxi and go, without being abused. No exceptions.

I take a very dim view of the taxi driver in the OPs story.

Similar scenario happened to me on the quays to the point of where the dude shouted and pointed his fist and said your wasting my time you bleedin dope, i'll burst ya. I proceeded to tell him to pullover ,invited him out to sort it like men(which i shouldnt have!!) and he just called me a dope again, i said it must take one to know one and slammed the door shut! He drove off with me giving the universal **** sign! Particularly vicious person, lucky for me im 6 ft 2 and train almost every day, which he probably realised when i got out pf his car! Forgot to get hus details though!

Next time, Try get a foreigner they are happier peole! I dislike taxi men!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

In the taxi drivers defence (and there is really only VERY slim grounds for defence) his beef is that he has sat for a very long time in the queue on the rank and having got only a very short fare will most likely now have to rejoin the queue at the back and sit there for another very long time. I can understand his frustration but thats life, part of the job. He should definitely be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Sacred_git

I dislike taxi men![/QUOTE]

Way to generalize git.

Op you got to get details of said individuals and report them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Hearing stories like this is what makes me rarely get a taxi and certainly never one from a taxi rank, they seem to think they can treat customers like this.

If they don't want to do the job, get another job. They should be grateful of the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

don't go to that rank again just flag one down on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Sorry to hear that. Never had a problem for a short journey but I am reasonably big so maybe its a bullying thing.

Generally I flag people down when I am taking a short trip.

Drivers need to cop on. Nobody owes them a living. They also need to realise that if people didn't take short trips then everyone would be waiting a hell of a lot longer at the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

You were right in the heading of your post op . He is a bully he should be reported .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I rarely take taxis, but when I do I normally just flag one down on the street. If nothing else, some of the ranks are so big (and full) that by the time you walk from the bottom to the top of the rank a few empties would have driven by. It's just easier to flag one down on the move. And this way, I get to chose the nice comfy car and not be forced to take the first one on the rank no matter what condition it or the driver is in or risk engaging in a mind game with the drivers to see which how far I have to work my way down the rank before someone will accept the fare.

As far as I remember, I haven't had bad experiences with the approach of flagging down on the street. This seems to be in stark contrast to the stories that you hear of abuse when picking one from the rank.

I know the verbal abuse stories might only account for 1% or 0.5% or 0.05% or whatever of engagements from a rank, but compare that to 0% for flagging down on the street and you can see why I take my approach.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I never use ranks to avoid this
    Just flag one down, they are delighted to get you and they nearly always round down my fare

About two km from my shopping centre to my flat. There is a rank in the SC car park but I ignore it and just walk to the main road and flag from there if I want a taxi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I work in a company in Swords. We had 11 guys coming over from France a couple of weeks ago. They asked us to drive up and pick them up because the last time a couple of them were over and got taxis from the airport they got shouted at by the taxi drivers. That was a nice "Cead Mile Failte" for them.

For me, I'd use the airport a fair bit and used to get taxis from it down to Swords. I know I'm taking them from a long wait so I'd tip decently. After a couple of whingebags (who obviously didn't get tipped after the moaning), now I just go out to the bus and pay less than 2 quid and get there without the moaning. The tourists won't know to do that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

zagmund wrote: »
    And this way, I get to chose the nice comfy car and not be forced to take the first one on the rank no matter what condition it or the driver is in or risk engaging in a mind game with the drivers to see which how far I have to work my way down the rank before someone will accept the fare.
    The customer can pick any taxi they want in the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I work in a company in Swords. We had 11 guys coming over from France a couple of weeks ago. They asked us to drive up and pick them up because the last time a couple of them were over and got taxis from the airport they got shouted at by the taxi drivers. That was a nice "Cead Mile Failte" for them.

Pity it wasn't reported to the Airport Authority as they do take this very seriously for the reasons you point out. Also the drivers can get a short trip ticket allowing them to skip the queue if they are back to the airport within 20 minutes. They'd no reason to be treated like that by the drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Taxi drivers know nothing about professionalism. I've experienced that kind of behaviour also from taxi drivers on Camden Street - a 9 euro fare wasn't far enough.

I heard the wife of a taxi driver complaining recently about a certain type people that dont leave tips. They should not expect tips at all, they shouldnt complain about how bad business is, they shouldn't waffle on about everything when the customer doesn't want to talk, they should take the shortest and/or quickest route, and they should know how to get to major destinations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Verminous Dublin Taxi drivers are as old as Marmite. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Victor wrote: »
    The customer can pick any taxi they want in the queue.

I wouldn't fancy doing that at some of the nastier ranks like O'Connell Street, you would get lynched! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Motorist wrote: »
    someTaxi drivers know nothing about professionalism. I've experienced that kind of behaviour also from taxi drivers on Camden Street - a 9 euro fare wasn't far enough.

I heard the wife of a taxi driver complaining recently about a certain type people that dont leave tips. They should not expect tips at all, they shouldnt complain about how bad business is, they shouldn't waffle on about everything when the customer doesn't want to talk, they should take the shortest and/or quickest route, and they should know how to get to major destinations.
    fixed that for you .
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Motorist wrote: »
    Taxi drivers know nothing about professionalism. I've experienced that kind of behaviour also from taxi drivers on Camden Street - a 9 euro fare wasn't far enough.

I've never given a taxi driver a tip in my life (28 y.o.) and lived in Dublin 26 years. I never knew it was common practice. Am I just being naieve or just applying common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've never given a taxi driver a tip in my life (28 y.o.) and lived in Dublin 26 years. I never knew it was common practice. Am I just being naieve or just applying common sense?
    Some people will round it off to the nearest euro.

Otherwise, it would only be if, for example they helped you with your bags or otherwise went out of their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I am not sure why but I always leave a couple of Euro. Maybe round it up and add one. Journey is 12.40 so I tell them to take 14. What's interesting is when you take this approach and give them 15, they'll start to make a big fuss for the €1 coin and you begin to feel petty waiting for it.

Even when the taxi drivers were previously raking the cash in I always tipped like this. I am not sure why I do it, it's just convention. I'd also tip a waitress or barman but nobody self-employed like a taxi driver.

I once had a driver who told me that my fare was whatever value plus tip. He did NOT get a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It works itself out realy
    If you round up to the nearest euro you'll get a driver later on who'll round down for you
    So some sort of balance in the taxi universe :)

Drivers at ranks almost never round down but if you flag one down they nearly always will in my experience, they love to get flagged down and are happy for the fare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

:confused:

Surely short journeys are much better for driver because of the ridiculously high standing charge. €7 x 6 short journeys an hour are better than one long one worth €30, no?

Six journeys an hour lol where I did 7 the whole of Saturday night. I agree that no driver should be rude or shout about what the fare is but its not easy sitting in line for an hour or so with money wories and getting a €5 fare.
    I know that's life and that's the job we picked etc etc. I have found myself not been able to talk to a customer because of the last one pissed me of so much sometimes its best to sit and say nothing lol

Advertisement