Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Laptop.. any ideas?

• 22-10-2007 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey Guys,

I am currently looking for a new laptop for my job (Web Developer/ Programmer) and have around €1150 to spend. I am just lost as to what to look for in terms of getting something value for money.

It needs to have a large screen 17'' widescreen or so.

Can anyone recommend anything? ... or tell me what to stay clear off.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Check out the Vostro's from Dell....

Here's a link from the bargain Alert Pages link

Towards the end of the page, the lads have spec'd up a 17 Vostro for 829 Euro i think, plus you can upgrade whatever bits you like with the extra change you will have.

Enjoy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Flava

Cheers for that.

They look great. Can anyone recommend any HP/ Sony/ Packard Bell's I could compare to the Vostro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Flava wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

They look great. Can anyone recommend any HP/ Sony/ Packard Bell's I could compare to the Vostro?

Don't compare packard Bell to anything except a barge pole

:D Ok... just someone told me there notebooks werent as bad as there desktops!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Does it have to be brand new? As a designer I'd have to reccommend a Mac but for under your price you'd be pushing it though apple.com do second-hand restored MacBooks as good as new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I reckon you should stay away from apple. A similar speced apple is a lot more expensive than a similar speced pc. I recommend you go with the vostro they are really good value at the moment.

Try this one as your base. It's a really good price. If you want to shave a bit more off it then you could reduce the warranty to a one year. You could also use this money saved to upgrade to a faster processor but this isn't really necessary.

If you want to play games then upgrade the graphics card to the 8600. If you want a high end gaming machine though you should probably head to the dell outlet and get an inspiron 9400 or xps 1710 with either a 7900gs or a 7950gtx. Although I doubt you would get one of these for with in your budget.

Remember that the vostro and the dell outlet prices are without vat until you get to the checkout.

Thanks for the advise lads. I was thinking about buying a MacBook until my mate who has one said that he does noting but get it fixed. Although they are excellent for multimedia applications.

Almighty Cushion... I am torn between a Vostro and this Sony...

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Sony_VAIO_FZ21E_VGNFZ21E.CEK/version-1.asp

Or a very similar sony at that. It seems that you get a little more for your money with dell... but as an overall package, and if you were making the decision, what would you opt for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well if you drop the warranty on the one I linked above to a one year it works out at €800 including delivery and vat. The sony is nearly €1100 and I'm not even sure that has delivery added on. Given the price difference I wouldn't even think about the sony. Stick with the dell. If you want to spend your budget, you could upgrade the processor and graphics card (only if you play new games). It will work out at around the same price as the sony except it will be a lot better.

I've already made this decision. My sister has a vostro and dad wants to get mum a laptop for christmas. If the prices stay like this, it'll be a vostro.

The Vostro it is! Cheers lads

Advertisement