Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giant avail 3 v Cube Axial WLS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Giving this a bit of a bump - any advice very much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Of those two I'd go for the cube on looks alone (specs aren't radically different) but.

1. Do you need a women's specific bike? Geometry doesn't cleave along gendered lines and you may find a male/unisex bike that fits you just as well or better with a better spec/frame for the same price.

2. Of key importance is getting a bike you can love. Do those bikes fill you with excitement at the thought of zipping through the countryside on them.

3. Can you stretch to a little bit more to get Tiagra or an equivalent 10 speed group set which if you do get the bug will last you a lot longer without feeling you've outgrown the bike (Sora is still a fine group set if you can't. )

Thanks a million rollingscone.
    I had just assumed a women's bike would fit better - but it might help me expand my choice a bit so will look into it - I really like the looks of the Cube bikes though :D

Would the Tiagra really be worth the extra? It seems there is a big jump in price to the next model to 1099
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1574/cube-axial

which is really more than I can afford probably as it's BTW scheme and I need some accessories also.
    I see the Giant avail and defy 2 for 999 both have Tiagra so I will have a think, as I did not realise it would make much of a difference

Thanks for all the advice - lots to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Both bikes look great. Sora is spit on for everyday riding.
    There'll always be an argument for getting the best package you can afford. As this is your BTW allw
    owance remember its 5 years until you can do itso get the best you can. Both of these bike will do that.
    I suggested to my wife about not looking at women's bikes but to keep an open mind. A goid LBS will hooefully swap out a saddle / put on a narrower bar if needed - especially if it made a sale.
    One thing is for sure there is a perfect bike for everyone if you go out and look / try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep try both women's and mens bikes. could be a wsd suits best but you never know. Id probably look at a ten speed knowing what I know now. Run out of gears on long hills at times.
    I have the avail 2 and happy with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot hunter & fits. Might be worth stretching to the Avail 2 so - will definitely take a look.

Or Defy two. The WSD thing is largely seen as a gimmick by most of the cycling press.

Or Defy two. The WSD thing is largely seen as a gimmick by most of the cycling press.

Oops - yes! Will take a look at both (and also the cube peloton if I am feeling rich :)). Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

My other half has an axial wls pro and it's an excellent bike so if you're gonna stretch the budget have a look at that as well.

Thanks a million rollingscone.
    I had just assumed a women's bike would fit better - but it might help me expand my choice a bit so will look into it - I really like the looks of the Cube bikes though :D

Would the Tiagra really be worth the extra? It seems there is a big jump in price to the next model to 1099
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1574/cube-axial

which is really more than I can afford probably as it's BTW scheme and I need some accessories also.
    I see the Giant avail and defy 2 for 999 both have Tiagra so I will have a think, as I did not realise it would make much of a difference

Thanks for all the advice - lots to think about!

Re the difference with Tiagra:
    1. A whole extra gear csn make the difference between struggling up a hill and working steadily but manageably.
    2. The levers have trim control on them which probably won't mean much now but you will come to love it six or seven months from now.
    3. It looks better on your bike than Sora. Looks are important as you want a bike that you'll look at and think ''such a nice bike, let's spend some time together''.
    4. Is marginally lighter...this makes no practical difference but is useful if you get into ridiculous Richard measuring competitions with your cycling friends.

• Advertisement

Excellent - thanks again for all the advice and for explaining things :)

Advertisement