Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer lingus bicycle box size restrictions?

• 25-07-2014 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

So I'm flying out of Berlin tomorrow with my bike, and I've run into a bit of an awkward situation. I left it too late to find a proper bicycle box, and the only one I have is huge (maybe 4.5' x 6'). Does anyone know if there is a restriction on what size bicycle boxes can be with aer lingus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's generally no problem with AL from Dublin in my experience. It's possible that staff in Berlin on the return may have a different attitude but 4.5x6 sounds ok. If anything it's weight not size that matters as it will be deemed 'oversized' luggage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tzarkahn

Aer Lingus don't require a box, unless the airport itself mandates it, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

If you are flying on an airbus or a 757 you will be fine. This is designated by a 3 number code. e.g. EI123

If you are flying on an ATR you may, in rare cases, have a problem due to the small size of the cargo hold. ATR flights are designated by a 4 letter code. e.g. EI1234

Always ring the call centre to book your bike and check in early on the day of the flight.

A box isn't required, but is probably recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Everything has to go through an x-ray machine though. I'm just back from a trip and 4.5 feet might be heading for trouble?

I did wonder how wide the xray machine belt/delivery carousel belt is so I rang Aer Lingus. The maximum width is unknown to both the lady who answered the phone and her supervisor.

However they did know that;

The longest bag length permissible is 9".
    Max weight 23kg
    Tyres deflated
    Handlebars turned
    Either Bag or Box is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't forget that you can angle the box so that you can use the diagonal width of the xray machine. Support it with your carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Most airports Dublin included have a section for over sized baggage so it should not be a problem with a bike,From my time working there I have seen dozens of bikes being loaded and off loaded on EI flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's usually an additional "Extra Oversized Luggage" scanner in addition to the normal "Oversized Luggage" one.

(PS - a couple of weeks ago my bike came out on the normal luggage carousel when returning to Dublin Airport. I thought it seemed unusual).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

I had the same problem coming home from Berlin. I just cut a chunk off the box to reduce the height and refolded it up. It still didn't fit through the x-ray machine standing up but they staff were great and we jammed it through diagonally.

Just cut it up to the normal box side and you'll have no problems.

Advertisement