Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Stem cell 'major discovery' claimed
    Now a study shows that shocking blood cells with acid could also trigger the transformation into stem cells - this time termed STAP (stimulus-triggered acquisition of pluripotency) cells.

Dr Haruko Obokata, from the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology in Japan, said she was "really surprised" that cells could respond to their environment in this way.

She added: "It's exciting to think about the new possibilities these findings offer us, not only in regenerative medicine, but cancer as well."

The breakthrough was achieved in mouse blood cells, but research is now taking place to achieve the same results with human blood.

Chris Mason, professor of regenerative medicine at University College London, said if it also works in humans then "the age of personalised medicine would have finally arrived."

He told the BBC: "I thought - 'my God that's a game changer!' It's a very exciting, but surprise, finding.

"It looks a bit too good to be true, but the number of experts who have reviewed and checked this, I'm sure that it is.

"If this works in people as well as it does in mice, it looks faster, cheaper and possibly safer than other cell reprogramming technologies - personalised reprogrammed cell therapies may now be viable."

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, that's interesting. I must head to the UCC library and see if I can access Nature without the paywall, I bet there's a tonne of interesting genomics in those papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh, that's interesting. I must head to the UCC library and see if I can access Nature without the paywall, I bet there's a tonne of interesting genomics in those papers.
    I miss being able to do that, they never rescinded my wireless access after graduation and I could pop in and check out stuff for free, all that's stopped since they switched to eduroam :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Kivaro wrote: »
    Debate between "The Science Guy" (Bill Nye) and the Creation Museum founder Ken Ham on Tuesday night.
    That's on in just under an hour from now. The live stream is here:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Broadcasted yesterday in the USA

Is creation a viable model of origins in today's modern, scientific era? Leading creation apologist and bestselling Christian author Ken Ham is joined at the Creation Museum by Emmy Award-winning science educator and CEO of the Planetary Society Bill Nye.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Been watching (mostly listening in the background) as I get a chance. The best moment so far has come at around the 2h4m mark when Ham is asked what, if anything, could change his mind, and he admits that there's nothing that could. Booyah.

^^^ Memed already.

292448.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And my favorite tweet during the debate:

#creationism debate in a nutshell… Ham: “Disease is a result of man’s Fall from God’s grace.”
    #Nye: “Fish get diseases. Did they sin too?”

Ken was well-off form on the fifteen minutes I saw, but Nye did much better than I thought he would.

A victory for honesty over cretinism.

I'm annoyed at the debate.

J C will get another month or so of delusion out of it, and in so doing will make everyone who reads this forum despair for the future of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Any chance someone could mash together a Ken Ham blooper reel?

Down's Syndrome causes irregular brain development. Someone has shown that this can be reduced significantly by drug therapy, at least in mice. Promising stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Buzzfeed asked 22 self identifying Creationists at the Nye/Ham debate to write a question on a card.

They vary in level. Some make made me laugh, others made me think, and some more again brought out the usual irritation I feel when dealing with anti evolution numpties.

Anyway:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio?bffb

One Example (Potentially the most simple/stupid, tbh):

enhanced-27109-1391576856-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Knex. wrote: »
    Buzzfeed asked 22 self identifying Creationists at the Nye/Ham debate to write a question on a card.

They vary in level. Some make made me laugh, others made me think, and some more again brought out the usual irritation I feel when dealing with anti evolution numpties.

Anyway:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio?bffb

One Example (Potentially the most simple/stupid, tbh):

enhanced-27109-1391576856-1.jpg

She actually frightens me .................
    Oh the humanity (insanity) of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

And the other side come to the party. Huzza!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-for-creationists-from-people-who-believe-in-evoluti?bffb

I particularly enjoyed:

enhanced-17700-1391575739-9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My favourites are 10 and 12. They couldn't even manage a question.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

22 Messages From Creationists To People Who Believe In Evolution

Though with what was written by each of the card-writers, I'm not sure it was non-creationists taking the piss :pac: That or a certain Jocular Contributor on this forum wrote all the cards :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SW wrote: »

One or two are clearly pisstakes (the last one being a quote) but as a scientist, no.15 made me cry :(

[...] not sure it was non-creationists taking the piss [...]
    Looking at it again, I'm inclined to think you might be right - almost every single question has a glaring grammar, spelling or typographical error. Or the use of a word or grammar-fetishist syntactical construct, the finer details concerning the usage of which would be comfortably beyond the ken of most creationists.

I'm calling Poe on these good hipsters.

16: "What mechanism has science discovered that evidences an increase of genetic information seen in any genetic mutation or evolutionary process?"

That should really familiar...

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I was quite annoyed with that title (for obvious scientific reasons) so I posted this in the comments:
    May I point out that the article title is wrong, one does not believe in evolution, no more than one believes in gravity. With scientific theories (or hypotheses) one looks at the available evidence and accepts or rejects them based on what the preponderance of the evidence suggests. Belief only occurs when there is no evidence either for or against a proposition, or where the balance of the evidence comes down against the proposition. So nobody believes in evolution, because that would be quite stupid, not to mention oxymoronic.

Edit: Or I would if my facebook would sync with Buzzfeed. Grrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

As if Buzzfeed isn't already devoid of intelligence...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Sarky wrote: »
    With Ken Ham as the “representative” of Christians, it would be reasonable for an outsider to assume that he accurately represented the Christian faith and what it means to be a Jesus follower. As if there weren’t enough barriers to faith already, Ken has just erected new barriers by creating the stage for people to assume that following Jesus means you share his fringe beliefs.

Barriers to [blind] faith. He must be thinking of education, reason, basic logic and reality.

If Pat ever gets together with Ken, it'll look like a scene from 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

As if Buzzfeed isn't already devoid of intelligence...:P
    It actually has some good long political articles (in non-list form!) that no-one reads. It's so disappointing to see what they've become famous for.

In a shock turnaround, Fox News reports that scientific evidence suggests that the bible is not fully accurate:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/06/camel-bones-suggest-error-in-bible/
    Fox News wrote:
    Archaeologists from Israel’s top university have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the arrival of domestic camels in the Middle East -- and they say the science directly contradicts the Bible’s version of events.

Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph and Jacob, Old Testament stories that historians peg to between 2000 and 1500 BC. But Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures say camels weren’t domesticated in Israel until centuries later, more like 900 BC. “In addition to challenging the Bible's historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes,” reads a press release announcing the research.

To find the first camel, Sapir-Hen and Ben-Yosef used radiocarbon dating to analyze the oldest known camel bones in the Arabian Peninsula, found at the remains of a copper smelting camp in the Aravah Valley, which runs along the border with Jordan from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea. The bones were in archaeological layers dating from the last third of the 10th century BC or later — centuries after the patriarchs lived and decades after the Kingdom of David, according to the Bible, the researchers said. The few camel bones found in earlier archaeological layers probably belonged to wild camels, which archaeologists think lived there during the Neolithic period or even earlier.

Notably, all the sites active in the 9th century in the Arava Valley had camel bones, but none of the sites that were active earlier contained them. "The introduction of the camel to our region was a very important economic and social development," Ben-Yosef said. "By analyzing archaeological evidence from the copper production sites of the Aravah Valley, we were able to estimate the date of this event in terms of decades rather than centuries."

The arrival of domesticated camels promoted trade between Israel and exotic locations unreachable before, according to the researchers. Camels can travel over much longer distances than donkeys and mules, opening up trade routes like the Incense Road that stretched from Africa through Israel to India.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pfft..

Fox is only reporting that because they know the science is shaky and when it's refuting they can claim that once again the Bible trumps Science.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.businessinsider.com/sochi-hotel-photos-2014-2

Pretty shocking hotel conditions in Russia for the journalists!
    :eek:

BfrXoHVIgAAvDnn.jpg

BfrXePxIQAAXOQw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ha, I've seen people on Twitter going on about the rooms and I assumed they were being primadonnas but that's pretty bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

As an F1 fan, I'm waiting to see how much of a clusterfuck the Russian GP will be.

Advertisement