Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Will - Who is in control of assets until the will is read and put in place?

• 21-02-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

A bit of a family dispute going on. To try to explain the story:
    My Mother's brother passed away (after years of bad health) 2 weeks ago. Unmarried, no kids. Had a farm of land (approx 60 acres, farmhouse, outside sheds, machinery etc).
    I also have 2 other uncles who both live close by the deceased uncle. One of them is vvv devious, has spent the past number of years basically trying to swindle my sick uncle into giving him and his 2 (incidentally useless) sons possesion of everything. (they even went to blackmail him, eg. using son's threatened suicide). Their dream came true 2 weeks ago, when my Uncles passed away. The rest of us in the family have since found out (My Dad has been named executor, and has been sent a copy of the will) that approx 90% of all assets is going to be willed to the the useless nephews (my cousins). None of us are happy that this is taking place and that the farm is being handed over to 2 useless gobshtes! (especially after our late Grandfather built up this farm from scratch after coming from nothing and being orphaned at age 11). Although we are totally disgusted at the outcome, we totally respect the will and will adhere to it 100%.
    The problem for us is that since the death, my (bad) Uncle has locked the house and won't permit access to anyone without his say so. he has also removed all paperwork/documents, money, letters etc from the house. This is my Mothers's home place and she and some other relatives would like to have some small items from the house, eg. Crockery, photos and the like.

The will hasn't been read, therefore it is my belief that the assets are in a sort of limbo? Does anyone from a law background have any idea as to how this can be dealth with, legally??? Can my Uncle take it upon himself to seize control of everything?? Any general advice?

Thanks a lot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement