Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you buy your shirts & ties for the office?

• 02-12-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for buying shirts and ties for the office. M&S shirts are not an option as the shirts are always too baggy.

Thanks?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Before I went back to wearing a uniform, I used to get them in TK Maxx, plain double cuffed shirt for a bit cheaper. Dunnes occasionaly do nice double cuffed shirts also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A mixture of places. Next and River Island have nice shirts. Then Tesco have good shirts if you want something cheaper. I don't really want to break the bank for work clothes. The above all look well and are relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If you're finding M&S shirts too baggy, it might be worth taking a look in Zara - their slim fit shirts are just about the only ones that fit me perfectly (the unfortunate side effect of an oversized neck).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I generally get slim fit shirts in TM Lewin. Ties wherever.

Though recently I bought 5 shirts there in the same sizes as a few I bought before and the cuff size was larger. Annoying as it makes the cuff fall further down my wrist :(

I have one TM Lewin shirt and it is a good fit. A bit pricey though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tomfoolery60

censuspro wrote: »
    Any recommendations for buying shirts and ties for the office. M&S shirts are not an option as the shirts are always too baggy.

Thanks?

M&S's Limited Collection and Autograph ranges do Slim Fit shirts that are fitted and are very good value. TM Lewin are great value and nicely fitted also.

Massimo Dutti have a fantastic slim fit but are pricey (however far cheaper than the likes of Thomas Pink, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Used to get all the aul ties in M&S. Shirts too, but I found their sizes are a bit all over the place, hard to just go in and buy based on the neck size.

Lovely ties though. Quite pricey for some of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone know where to get shirts for the larger neck'd man, any shirt I can find to fit my neck in a big brand shop is always like a balloon around the waist, and im not exactley a slim guy either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Lewins do the occasional 4 shirts for €140 kinda deal. Go buy 8 and you are sorted for the year. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

OldGoat wrote: »
    Lewins do the occasional 4 shirts for €140 kinda deal. Go buy 8 and you are sorted for the year. :)
    I bought some T.M. Lewin years ago and they were a nightmare to iron. Was I just unlucky?

I've bought some Dalvey recently and will get more. Good quality, and easy to iron!

• Advertisement

I haven't found them particularly difficult to iron, no more so than usual at least.

They do non-iron shirts too, although the one non-iron shirt I bought from there seems to be a different fit to the rest...

anyone know where to get shirts for the larger neck'd man, any shirt I can find to fit my neck in a big brand shop is always like a balloon around the waist, and im not exactley a slim guy either
    What are your measurements? I would have thought slim fit shirts would do the job, failing that you could try getting shirts in places like Next or Topman where the target clientele is, how shall I say... extremely skinny.

Lots of websites offer custom sleeve lengths etc, although that'll set you back a few bob.

I consider that too much tbh. The shirts I get in Debenhams, Next, Tesco etc more than do the job for far less. It is just work after all.

That used to be my view too but then I spend such a large percentage of my life in work I want to make sure I feel good!

Though I've just started in a new place, and we're not supposed to wear ties. Even wearing a suit jacket is seen as a bit formal.

Yeah I can't wear a tie in work either, so I do the shirt/jumper combination. I guess that I am only showing a collar is another reason I wouldn't go to town on shirts. But I honestly think Next etc are perfectly good shirts for work and when I used to wear a tie, I wore shirts from there. Tesco do really good jumpers too.

You must have a fancy Tesco. Mine barely has potatoes.

Any Tesco Extra will have plenty of clothes. Not sure where the rest of them are located.

I consider that too much tbh. The shirts I get in Debenhams, Next, Tesco etc more than do the job for far less. It is just work after all.

Seldom see shirts in Next or Debs for under €35.00 tbh.

Unless the job I'm doing is actually going to be detremental to my clothes then I don't see the point in wearing downmarket shirts. I dress for ME. I don't get the "it's only work so I don't care how I look" thing. When the nature of my duties allows I'll wear a suit on the workshop floor, a necktie with a boiler suit, patient leather oxfords while driving a truck. If I wore a cheap tesco shirt I'd feel...wrong, if that makes any sense.

Unless the job I'm doing is actually going to be detremental to my clothes then I don't see the point in wearing downmarket shirts. I dress for ME. I don't get the "it's only work so I don't care how I look" thing.

I didn't say I don't care how I look, I said there is a limit to how much I'd spend as they are just for work. I have "good" clothes for different events like weddings, interviews etc. I actually get complimented on my clothes a fair bit in work and people are shocked to hear they have come from Tesco or somewhere similar. I have 1 TM Lewin shirt, 2 from Next, 2 from Debenhams and the rest come from "downmarket" shops.

I was wearing clothes from Tesco at the last Boards beers too, maybe somebody can tell me if I looked downmarket :pac:

Anyway all of this is personal choice. I find those shirts fit me and look well. Others may disagree. I'm just saying that at this moment in time I would rather save money for something else.

Sorry PK, didn't mean for that to sound like I was singling you out. It's a wide held attitude that I'd like to see the back of. It's one of the reasons why I love rush hour on le Metro in Paris and hate rush hour on the LUAS in Dublin. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Garzorico

M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

possibly OT and apologies in advance, but why do many clothes shops only stock shirts all boxed, clipped and pinned so that you can only try them on when you go home and spend 5 minutes unravelling them? They can also be a curse to iron out the creases then! I know Zara invite you to unwrap them for trying on instore if you like. Some shops sell the shirts on hangers which is perfect for trying on there and then. Wish more would follow suit.

For the most part, I'm lucky in that 16.5 neck slimfit will always fit me perfectly but I've been unlucky occasionally with sleeves that are not long enough. BTW, Zara never lets me down for style and fit. Shirts are nearly always 39.99. Next can do cheaper, especially in the sales but the styles/looks are not always as good as Zara imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Personally buy all my shirts in either TM Lewins/Charles Tyrwhitt both online. You can get 4 shirts for £80/£90 if you've signed up for emails and use the promo codes (it's just a case of waiting for the shirts to be on offer at that price range - usually once every month). With the exchange rate it works out around 110 euro usually for me with delivery included. TM Lewins now ship free to their stores for you to collect so if near Dublin can order to the shop on Anne Street saving yourself a tenner or so. Will also get the odd shirt at Thomas Pink but they're quite expensive to be stocking your wardrobe with!

For people who find it hard to iron shirts it's all to do with the material if ironing the shirts when they're dry. Cotton and Poplin are ridiculously hard to iron nice and crisp once unless the shirt is slightly damp I find so I now avoid them where possible.

Best materials for a shirt are Herringbone and Twill, both have beautiful material that doesn't let t-shirts/vests show through underneath. Even if the shirts are fully dry you can iron them really well with a small bit of effort. On the downside the material used in them is much thicker meaning the shirts may not be the greatest to wear if it's really hot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Herringboe and Twill are weaves rather than materials. Either could be woven in that way from cotton or poplin. I think that it's just the nature of the weave that means they crease less easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Seldom see shirts in Next or Debs for under €35.00 tbh.

Unless the job I'm doing is actually going to be detremental to my clothes then I don't see the point in wearing downmarket shirts. I dress for ME. I don't get the "it's only work so I don't care how I look" thing. When the nature of my duties allows I'll wear a suit on the workshop floor, a necktie with a boiler suit, patient leather oxfords while driving a truck. If I wore a cheap tesco shirt I'd feel...wrong, if that makes any sense.

Amen to that brother. In my experience the best value for money is to buy the best you can afford. And very good value can be found.

For instance the Grosvenor Shirt Company in Strabane, Co. Tyrone will do a made-to-measure shirt for £70 in any fabric they have, and that's made in Ireland! They do off the peg shirst for £35!! A made to measure service in London is at least double theirs.

Also just to clear up some confusion above and below:
    Herringbone, Twill, Poplin, Oxford, End-on-End, Pinpoint, Voile are all different types of weaves.

Also you're better off going for 100% cotton, and in a regular finish. Here's why 'Easy-iron' fabrics are soaked in several chemical baths to make them less likely to wrinkle. However this fatally weakens the life-span of the fibres and also its probably not the best idea to have such aggressive chemicals near your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

In the last 5 or 6 months Lewin's have started a new line of fully fitted shirts. Great fit. Their old "slim fit" shirts were still like tents on me, and i'd be stocky enough.
    It's the John Francomb fully fitted i think. Have bought my shirts off them for a few years now. Dalveys are a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

censuspro wrote: »

Thanks?
    dunnes all the way man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Mostly TK Maxx for me. It may just be work but you will be wearing these shirts more often and for longer then any other shirt you own.

Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bru79

I have been buying my shirts in Debenhams for a couple of years now, the quality of their shirts is great (which is important as i am a Sales rep) and they regularly have great sales. I stock up when they are on offer, they take one for all vouchers too which is handy for when i get incentives paid out with one for all.

An expensive shirt will wear out just like a middle of road shirt so I dont spend a huge amount on shirts as I go through them. I have a few expensive ones for meetings, weddings, interviews etc but have been known to wear a shirt from my regular rotation to a wedding, its all about the tie at a wedding anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Personally I buy all my shirts in .................Penneys!!

They're about 6 or 7 euro, fit very nicely and, to me, are completely satisfactory. Actually, virtually everything I wear is from Penneys and people often say to me that I am very well turned outand that my shirts are lovely! (I tend to dress more office like than casual).

Advertisement