Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movies we pretend to like

Options
  • 06-07-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

What sort of distasteful movies have you had to endure for the pleasure of your other half & still wore a smile at the end of it while dying a little inside?

I myself being young(ish) have had to sit through the Twilight movies, luckily I have escaped the likes of the Notebook & other devious movies of the sort.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Mamma Mia!

Never again though - never!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The notebook.

sat there with herself watching it and when it ended she quietly began to weep.

The hell!? why would you watch a movie that makes you cry?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I can never sit through a terrible movie and fake a smile, doesn't matter who it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I can't recall having to sit through a movie to please my OH. I'm lucky, she doesn't like infantile rubbish.

Chic flics are fine, so long as they are quality.

She'd prefer a good war movie, though, or something directed by Spielberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've seen far too many movies with Katherine Heigel in them.

I think Burlesque was the worst one of all tbh although the scantily clad ladies did make it a little less shít

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Mamma Mia!

Never again though - never!

Ha I was forced to go see this on Broadway, I was prepared to blow my brains out going into the theatre....ended up loving it haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If a movie is crap I will say so.Why would you placate someone by pretending you like something you dont?

If a movie is crap I will say so.Why would you placate someone by pretending you like something you dont?

How else can I get her to be quiet to watch Xmen/Transformers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

RedXIV wrote: »
    The notebook.

sat there with herself watching it and when it ended she quietly began to weep.

The hell!? why would you watch a movie that makes you cry?!

Haha, did you like it though? :D I was going to watch this one by myself. I warned my boy that it was a bit of a chick flick and he was ok with it. Insisted we watch it together.

Turns out he enjoyed it more than me. He was shushing me when I was picking holes in the plot. Oh and neither of us wept! :eek:

I was roundly encouraged to sit through Predator ("What the hell do you mean you've never seen Predator? Never??? What do you think I mean when I keep saying "get to da choppa!"?"). I actually really enjoyed it though.

Make them happy? If the mother in laws dinner is god aweful you dont tell her so....man rule no.4002

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Haha, did you like it though? :D I was going to watch this one by myself. I warned my boy that it was a bit of a chick flick and he was ok with it. Insisted we watch it together.

Turns out he enjoyed it more than me. He was shushing me when I was picking holes in the plot. Oh and neither of us wept! :eek:

I was roundly encouraged to sit through Predator ("What the hell do you mean you've never seen Predator? Never??? What do you think I mean when I keep saying "get to da choppa!"?"). I actually really enjoyed it though.

it was alright, i did think it was a clever movie with the twist at the end but my movie taste in general is abismal. very simple formula. If it has:
    • martial arts fights
    • explosions
    • comic or video game references
    • ridiculous one liners

Then i'm all over it. I'm not one for these arts-y films. they tend to bore me. give me Die Hard any day of the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Saw The Notebook in the cinema, it was a first date and I was out to impress. Load of balls but got me in the good books.

I usually don't mind watching a stu[id rom-com as they are usually easy watching and tolerable. Marie Antoinette however was unforgivable, and what makes it worse is I saw it with my ex and a mate (guy) and I was over ruled and had to see it. I blame my mate more than my ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This thread is hilarious!

I was forced to watch a 'Sex and the City' SEASON from a box set with a girl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I've lost two women so far by refusing to accept that The Notebook and My Sister's Keeper are "powerful" and "meaningful" films that change people's lives. I argued they were both a heap of up-yer-own-arse-feel-bad-for-other-people shite.

It's been happening a lot lately with Glee too. It's TERRIBLE.

Couple of the girls ended up taking film studies as part of their Arts course, and their tastes changed dramatically. Now they're actively trying to watch all the films we recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Myself and herself have quite similar taste in films. If anything it's a competition between us to find the next badass action movie/anime/zombie film or whatever.

We watch plenty of stuff that can be deep and meaningful (The Fountain, The Fall, Blueberry etc ) but we both feel this overtly contrived romantic bollix is just a heap of crap.

If you ask my girlfriend what the greatest movie of all time is she is probably gonna say Bladerunner...and that right is there is why i love the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

In college yrs ago I pulled a bird and we went back to hers. Her flatmates were about to put on Titanic and as there was only one seat left in the sittingroom she suggested I took it and she sit on my lap.................... for THREE FREAKING HOURS until the movie ended. Such torture!!

It gets better though................when it finished she said 'come one, lets go upstairs'. So she stood up and so did I but I had two dead legs and immediatley crashed to the floor as they would not work for me. Took ten mins to get me upstairs.

TITANIC = BALLS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you ask my girlfriend what the greatest movie of all time is she is probably gonna say Bladerunner...
    Any chance she has a sister? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tip: If she tries to make you watch something you are not interested in ,reciprocate next time with something that will make her compromise

This one works wonders for me. First time they try and make you watch the Notebook etc you say sure. Next time make sure its your choice (Clockwork Orange being one of my favourite films is a good choice here) After this they then decide best to watch something you will both be interested in rather than taking turns. Problem solved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Yiz all need to man up and grow a pair, going to see a crappy movie just cos your other half wants to see it???? jaysus, tell her to go on her own if you don't want to see that particular film, jeeeez.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Its not about watching the movies,its about lying and saying you liked it just because you are trying to impress someone.I will watch most anything if an OH wanted me too,doesnt mean Id like it nor pretend to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My ex insisted we go see Sex And The City the day after the funeral of someone close to me. The day after that, it was very nearly my ex's funeral! :pac:

frag420 wrote: »
    So she stood up and so did I but I had two dead legs and immediatley crashed to the floor as they would not work for me. Took ten mins to get me upstairs.

TITANIC = BALLS!!

Thats what you get for bringin home a fat bird! ;)

Sanjuro wrote: »
    My ex insisted we go see Sex And The City the day after the funeral of someone close to me. The day after that, it was very nearly my ex's funeral! :pac:

:eek:, oh god that's horrible. I don't believe she would do that to you after suffering one tragedy already. Sex and the city is where I drew the line with my ex, luckily she always had her sister or girl friends on hand to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

No, No No and did I say No?

Wouldnt rape my own senses by sitting through twilight and the likes. I dont see any compromise. I just would feel I let myself down, it would result in me cowing in the corner of a very hot shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I can't recall having to sit through a movie to please my OH. I'm lucky, she doesn't like infantile rubbish.

Chic flics are fine, so long as they are quality.

She'd prefer a good war movie, though, or something directed by Spielberg.

Don't ever let her go :pac: or alternatively, give her to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

py2006 wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious!

That's dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

py2006 wrote: »

Did you strangle her with her own colon? Because that would be a fair trade off in my eyes.

Can't say I've pretended to like a film to impress a lady. I did once say "James Blunt is like pretty cool and stuff" once.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Can't say I've pretended to like a film to impress a lady. I did once say "James Blunt is like pretty cool and stuff" once.

I sincerely hope you got laid for taking that bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

NothingMan wrote: »
    I sincerely hope you got laid for taking that bullet.

I certainly did! and repeatedly at that for a duration of six months.

Not worth it TBH.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    I certainly did! and repeatedly at that for a duration of six months.

Not worth it TBH.

6 months of James Cunt, I couldn't do it. No matter how good the sex.

Advertisement