Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

200motels wrote: »
    I disagree with the term used as hoodwinked, I freely subscribe to Sky because of the ease of use of it's service and for Sky Atlantic and Sky 1. If you don't like it don't get it but don't be coming on here telling people they were hoodwinked, we're not all that stupid.

200motels, before you take the moral high ground you should have not have second guessed what I meant by hoodwinked. Unfortunately there are people who have been hoodwinked. Don't assume that everyone has your level of understanding of choices available. Many people aren't aware of the alternatives.

Every kind of lie being spouted to get sales. And its been going on some time. RTE signal will be gone soon unless you have Sky is a common one selling point. Sky's aggressive and deceitful advertising attempting to undermine and hijack Saorview continues.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59010070

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056455329

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619489

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351584

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055730978

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076822

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056532172

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056168295

Perhaps that might give you a better understanding of Sky and the term hoodwinked. I am glad you are delighted with your choice of television viewing. I would point out that in general, 9 out of the Top 10 channels watched in Ireland that have a market share above 1% are free to air. That would tell you that for the majority of people in Ireland, they dont actually have to be tied to subscription TV, at all. As Michael Caine might say, not a lot of people know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Cush wrote: »
    Depends on how you read it I guess, my read of it is they cannot add a specific charge or increase the sub for a package that includes the "must-offer/must-carry" channels and by including RTÉ2 HD in the HD pack and not increasing the HD pack charge they aren't breaking any rules. We'll know for sure on Monday when the announcement is made (according to helimachoptor's posts).

I would read that as "no additional charges" on people who pay subscriptions, no matter how basic the subscription. There is no mention of packages in the legislation.

If the pay operator requests the HD station under the must offer, then they must carry it, unaltered to those subscribing to their company at no extra cost to the subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The Cush wrote: »
    Depends on how you read it I guess, my read of it is they cannot add a specific charge or increase the sub for a package that includes the "must-offer/must-carry" channels and by including RTÉ2 HD in the HD pack and not increasing the HD pack charge they aren't breaking any rules. We'll know for sure on Monday when the announcement is made (according to helimachoptor's posts).

The legislation does not differentiate beteen SD & HD in S.77 and If you look at what transpired with UPC my own view is that RTE2HD will have to be made available to basic level subsribers to SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kelsca

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0513/rte.html#IDCommentsNewThreadCover

Does this mean it will only be available to sky hd pack subscribers?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

Good News - to be on ch102

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0513/rte.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

kelsca wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0513/rte.html#IDCommentsNewThreadCover

Does this mean it will only be available to sky hd pack subscribers?

RTE press release specifically says Sky HD customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Only if you're a Sky HD pack subscriber. I'll not be paying extra for it on top of a tv licence already.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Infoanon wrote: »
    RTE press release specifically says Sky HD customers....
    That is likely to just mean "Sky customers with a HD box".
    It does not necessarily mean they need to subscribe to the HD pack.

Channel 5 HD in the UK is available without the HD pack, I expect RTE 2 HD will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

So you pay your licence fee in the UK and you get a load of BBC channels including the HD ones on your epg for nothing extra.

But you pay your licence fee in Ireland, pay sky an extortionate amount of money for just the SD channels and sports and they want 15EUR a month to see ONE RTE channel which you have already paid for.

Erm let me think about that one for a wee minute...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Only if you're a Sky HD pack subscriber. I'll not be paying extra for it on top of a tv licence already.
    good point, I thought if you paid a tv license the national channels had to be available on a free or ftv basis? Wonder if this has ever been challanged in court?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

basill wrote: »
    So you pay your licence fee in the UK and you get a load of BBC channels including the HD ones on your epg for nothing extra.

But you pay your licence fee in Ireland, pay sky an extortionate amount of money for just the SD channels and sports and they want 15EUR a month to see ONE RTE channel which you have already paid for.

Eh, RTE is not FTA, BBC and ITV both are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    basill wrote: »

Eh, RTE is not FTA, BBC and ITV both are
    think that's what's being got at

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

That didn't take too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

snaps wrote: »
    think that's what's being got at

RTE will never be FTA, they pay for American shows for an audience of ~4.5 million and cannot afford to pay more

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

MarkK wrote: »
    That is likely to just mean "Sky customers with a HD box".
    It does not necessarily mean they need to subscribe to the HD pack.

Channel 5 HD in the UK is available without the HD pack, I expect RTE 2 HD will be the same.
    The multi-year deal will see RTÉ Two HD incorporated into Sky's HD Pack and brings the total number of HD channels available through Sky+HD to 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

This will actually be a disgrace if sky get away with keeping this channel for those of us who cannot afford to pay the extra €15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

p.oconnor wrote: »
    This will actually be a disgrace if sky get away with keeping this channel for those of us who cannot afford to pay the extra €15
    It's free on Saorview, no need to pay €15 extra to Sky for it

bennyx_o wrote: »
    It's free on Saorview, no need to pay €15 extra to Sky for it

So we have to buy a saorview set-top box an put it on top of the sky box to get a channel in which I pay a television licence for.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

So we have to buy a saorview set-top box an put it on top of the sky box to get a channel in which I pay a television licence for.

You pay a television licence to watch tv, not to receive RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you don't want to source it through a pay-TV provider, then yes.

• Advertisement

An Tarbh wrote: »
    You pay a television licence to watch tv, not to receive RTÉ.

And where does the revenue generated end up can you tell me like a good man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Will this also be on the Sky NI epg, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

we should also look into why the everyone in the north gets free RTE and dont pay a licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

So what if you your subscription is on a sky hd box but you don't subscribe to the HD Pack? Do things just continue as they are in SD or are you forced to get the HD pack if you want any sort of RTE 2 , just curious...

irishgeo wrote: »
    we should also look into why the everyone in the north gets free RTE and dont pay a licence fee.
    ~1 million additional potential pairs of advertising-viewing eyes.
    Widescreen wrote:
    So what if you your subscription is on a sky hd box but you don't subscribe to the HD Pack? Do things just continue as they are in SD or are you forced to get the HD pack if you want any sort of RTE 2 , just curious...
    The article appears to suggest it'll be HD pack only so if you don't pay for HD, then you won't get RTÉ TWO HD through Sky. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Check channel 1270 on other channels now to see if this'll be available without HD subscription

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kensington wrote: »
    The article appears to suggest it'll be HD pack only so if you don't pay for HD, then you won't get RTÉ TWO HD through Sky. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the case either.

What will happen in October 29th when RTÉ switch off the old Analogue system and RTÉ2 in Standard Definition no longer exists? Will Sky continue to broadcast RTÉ2HD downscaled to standard def unless they are paid their €15 a month blood money?

Surely this is illegal and Sky should not be allowed to charge extra for RTÉ2HD, Sky subscribers in the UK get BBC1HD, BBCHD, ITV1HD etc. providing they have a HD set top box even if they are not subscribed to Sky's High Def package, the same should apply in Ireland.

Stinicker wrote: »
    What will happen in October 29th when RTÉ switch off the old Analogue system and RTÉ2 in Standard Definition no longer exists? Will Sky continue to broadcast RTÉ2HD downscaled to standard def unless they are paid their €15 a month blood money?
    They will still broadcast RTÉ TWO in SD exactly as they do now. The SD version just won't exist on SaorView.
    Surely this is illegal and Sky should not be allowed to charge extra for RTÉ2HD, Sky subscribers in the UK get BBC1HD, BBCHD, ITV1HD etc. providing they have a HD set top box even if they are not subscribed to Sky's High Def package, the same should apply in Ireland.
    The BBC and ITV1 lease their own transponders, pay for their own encoding and uplinking infrastructure and the EPG carriage aggrements.
    RTÉ have all of the above provided to them by Sky in return for Sky being able to encrypt the channels and have them viewable via DSAT as part of a sky subscription package only.

I agree it's not ideal but you have to realise the BBC and ITV have many tens of times the cash flow that RTÉ do.

RTÉ don't have the luxury of being able to go FTA on the main European satellites like the BBC and ITV ergo, they need encryption and access control to limit access - but if they were to go down the FTV route (you pay a one off charge for a Sky card which gives subscription-less access to RTÉ on DSAT) then they would have to pay the associated NDS royalties, viewing card charges and the EPG charges which are pretty steep.

Honestly, I don't see the hoo-hah some people on here are creating about this.
    You don't need Sky to view RTÉ nor do you need Sky to view RTÉ TWO HD.
    If you have sky, you will conveniently get RTÉ under the current/revised arrangements.
    If you have sky with HD, you will also conveniently get RTÉ TWO HD under the current/revised arrangements.

If you don't have sky, you can still get RTÉ via SaorView/SaorSat.
    If you don't have sky HD, you can still get RTÉ TWO HD via SaorView/SaorSat.

If it weren't for the above arrangements, you wouldn't get RTÉ on sky *at all* so you would *still* require an aerial and SaorView/SaorSat receiver to get RTÉ alongside paying your sky subscription.

If you pay the associated sky sub, you'll get the associated RTÉ services.
    If you don't want sky, you can still source RTÉ via other free means.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Will Sky continue to broadcast RTÉ2HD downscaled to standard def ...

Sky will have to continue with RTE 2 SD anyway as loads of subscribers don't have HD boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What will happen in October 29th when RTÉ switch off the old Analogue system and RTÉ2 in Standard Definition no longer exists?

Oct 24th is the date the analogue TV network is switched off by RTÉNL, I've seen no requirement anywhere that RTÉ has to switchoff the SD feed to Sky or UPC.

Advertisement