Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being affectionate with straight men.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ms.Odgeynist

Giselle wrote: »
    This kind of affectionate behaviour between men is common in Arab countries and in some other cultures, as said in India, because of the segregation of the sexes. Men and women tend not to mix and even married couples do not express casual affection, such as holding hands in public, for fear of offending cultural or religious sensitivities.

Men are forced by social convention into spending a great deal of time in the company of the same gender, and people being people, express the open affection for one another that cultural diktats prevent them from doing with the opposite gender.

In Saudi Arabia for example, it is commonplace to see male friends walk in the street holding hands, while their wives walk several paces behind them.:)

I think you're right Giselle - the implication being that we all crave affection. It is not necessarily related to sexuality at all. I think we like our sexuality labelled here - 'gay', 'straight' and 'bi'. Heaven forbid we exhibit any behaviour that blurs the lines between these labels.

I have to admit that I court social convention as much as the next man. But when you watch drunk people hug, hang and drape themselves over one another, it's plain to see that we're all in need of 'the human touch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

levi wrote: »
    Same in India, men are more affectionate with their friends in public than they are with their wives. It's a bit weird at first but it's obviously normal enough for them!
    I've seen men on the beach in Goa India staring in a lecherous way at western women in bikinis while holding hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be posting off topic, but this is the best post ever!
    I think I'm missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

omahaid wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson used to skip around London arm in arm, no joke!
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be posting off topic, but this is the best post ever!

They also used to sing "tra-la-la-la-lala" while doing it.

Advertisement