Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anything Maiden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can anyone suggest a site where I can listen to the album? I want to check it out before I buy it?? I've heard mixed reviews on it, and don't want to waste cash on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Can anyone suggest a site where I can listen to the album? I want to check it out before I buy it?? I've heard mixed reviews on it, and don't want to waste cash on it??

Its all on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Surprised it isn't all up on their myspace, anywho, up the irons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

3 listens in now and it has grown on me a bit. Well the first 7 songs anyway. The last 3 are still a bit iffy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Its all on youtube.

All bar one track, I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I really can't get into this album at all. The intro to 'The Final Frontier' itelf is great, but when the song starts up I just found the riff to be painfully average, which is shame because I had very very high hopes for this album, and the fact that they are my all time favourite heavy metal band. Bruce's vocals seem a bit strained as well. The rest of the songs are not really clicking with me either.:(

I thought AMOLAD was quite good, and I definitely think that it is somewhat better than this album. Out of all the reunion albums 'Brave New World' is still my absolute favourite.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I really can't get into this album at all. The intro to 'The Final Frontier' itelf is great, but when the song starts up I just found the riff to be painfully average, which is shame because I had very very high hopes for this album, and the fact that they are my all time favourite heavy metal band. Bruce's vocals seem a bit strained as well. The rest of the songs are not really clicking with me either.:(

I thought AMOLAD was quite good, and I definitely think that it is somewhat better than this album. Out of all the reunion albums 'Brave New World' is still my absolute favourite.:D

BNW is head and shoulders above the last three studio albums. As for the new album. It is a good album, but not one that will get many re-listens compared to BNW.

I brought the Final Frontier with me in the car again today, and found myself skipping certain tracks, the same ones that I felt were weak on my first couple of listens.

I am pretty sure though that if this were an album by a new band that I would not have made such an effort to listen to it over and over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Kess73 wrote: »
    BNW is head and shoulders above the last three studio albums. As for the new album. It is a good album, but not one that will get many re-listens compared to BNW.

I brought the Final Frontier with me in the car again today, and found myself skipping certain tracks, the same ones that I felt were weak on my first couple of listens.

I am pretty sure though that if this were an album by a new band that I would not have made such an effort to listen to it over and over though.

Agreed with that

I think, and purely my opinion, that Brave New World is Maiden's best album behind Beast

I'm glad a few people agree with me. I think because it is by Iron Maiden people will automatically and unfortunately give it a good review anyway. It's almost like a brand name now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCrimsonClown

After 5 listens I can say with absolute certainty that is an incredible album.

WTWWB is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Absolute masterpiece.

• Advertisement

I'm glad a few people agree with me. I think because it is by Iron Maiden people will automatically and unfortunately give it a good review anyway. It's almost like a brand name now.

I have been a Maiden fanatic since Beast came out in '82, but I think I have always been able put my biad aside and say whether past albums were good or bad, in my opinion of course.

What Maiden do get from me though is a willingness to relisten to their albums over and over before I make my mind up.

I was driving done to Waterford this morning from Limerick, and then back up again, and went through a fair few albums, but one that I gave a blast to was Somewhere In Time, and damn has that album held up well and it really put The Final Frontier in it's place in terms of Maiden albums.

It really hit me when Deja Vu was blasting out, that here was an album track that is not a live favourite or anything like that, that pretty much beats almost every song on The Final Frontier.

I still think there is a good album in the Final Frontier, the near 30minutes of the final three tracks are excellent, but it does have it's fair share of filler tracks that are well played but somewhat bland.

It is probably on par with the likes of Death Magnetic, which was mostly praised, which I guess shows how consistent Maiden have been over the last 30 years if an album like The Final Frontier seems to be getting a lukewarm reception from fans, but a Metallica album of similar quality, imho, was praised.

I have been a Maiden fanatic since Beast came out in '82, but I think I have always been able put my biad aside and say whether past albums were good or bad, in my opinion of course.

What Maiden do get from me though is a willingness to relisten to their albums over and over before I make my mind up.

I was driving done to Waterford this morning from Limerick, and then back up again, and went through a fair few albums, but one that I gave a blast to was Somewhere In Time, and damn has that album held up well and it really put The Final Frontier in it's place in terms of Maiden albums.

It really hit me when Deja Vu was blasting out, that here was an album track that is not a live favourite or anything like that, that pretty much beats almost every song on The Final Frontier.

I still think there is a good album in the Final Frontier, the near 30minutes of the final three tracks are excellent, but it does have it's fair share of filler tracks that are well played but somewhat bland.

It is probably on par with the likes of Death Magnetic, which was mostly praised, which I guess shows how consistent Maiden have been over the last 30 years if an album like The Final Frontier seems to be getting a lukewarm reception from fans, but a Metallica album of similar quality, imho, was praised.

Great to see someone else who really loves 'Somewhere In Time' like myself, because it's also one of my absolute favourite Maiden albums, and the album that got me into heavy metal and metal in general in the first place.

Unfortunatley it's somewhat of an underated album.:( I also had a great time listening to the title track 'Caught Somewhere in Time' on one of my playlists on my iPod, while driving up from Tallaght to Gorey. When it was playing I was thinking to myself that they have not really come up with any riffs that are as exciting, and any solos that are as stunning and as memorable as the ones from that excellent album.

I also really love 'Deja Vu' and 'The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner' is really class as well. There are no bad songs on it IMO. One thing that also dissapointed me about 'The Final Frontier' is that I've heard some reviewers say that the new album has more aggression than the previous albums, but I just don't hear it at all. I honestly wish they would go back to the Aggressiveness of albums like 'Somewhere in Time' and some of the earlier class albums like 'Piece of Mind' as well.

Great to see someone else who really loves 'Somewhere In Time' like myself, because it's also one of my absolute favourite Maiden albums, and the album that got me into heavy metal and metal in general in the first place.

Unfortunatley it's somewhat of an underated album.:( I also had a great time listening to the title track 'Caught Somewhere in Time' on one of my playlists on my iPod, while driving up from Tallaght to Gorey. When it was playing I was thinking to myself that they have not really come up with any riffs that are as exciting, and any solos that are as stunning and as memorable as the ones from that excellent album.

I also really love 'Deja Vu' and 'The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner' is really class as well. There are no bad songs on it IMO. One thing that also dissapointed me about 'The Final Frontier' is that I've heard some reviewers say that the new album has more aggression than the previous albums, but I just don't hear it at all. I honestly wish they would go back to the Aggressiveness of albums like 'Somewhere in Time' and some of the earlier class albums like 'Piece of Mind' as well.

I can still remember the build up to the release of Somewhere In Time, and going in almost daily in the weeks prior to the album release to beg the local music store to give me the big cardboard Eddie that was on display for the album.:D

I came out of the store on release day with the LP, the cardboard cut out, and a grin as wide as the Mersey.

I spent hours checking out the album cover and finding all the little injokes and references to earlier songs on it.

Cracking album that has aged very well, sounds far fresher than many 24 year old albums. Then again 1986 was a damn good year for metal releases that stood the test of time.

For years SIT was the album I listened to least and the one I didn't rate but over the past 2-3 years I found myself listening to it an awful lot and I'd now rate it as being one of my favourite IM albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

After 5 listens I can say with absolute certainty that is an incredible album.

WTWWB is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Absolute masterpiece.
    Have to say i'm in total agreement with you there, amazing album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

likewise. didnt think id like it this much. but its very good indeed. would love to hear a couple of those song live

I've tried listening to more of this album, but everytime I do, I just it a chore to listen to. This album for me is the most dissapointing Maiden album in my history of buying Iron Maiden albums, and it's an album I won't be buying unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

It has probably been mentioned already but I find the production job really spoils a number of the songs. The production is just flat and the vocals are awful in parts, but some of this may be due to Burce's performance.

I like about 3 songs on it which isn't great I suppose but I think it is by far the worst of the last three albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Does anybody know if you can get this album in a cardboard sleeve? instead of the normal plastic case, which are prone to fall out of my hands and break in two pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Read an interview with their guitarist Dave recently that made me think that they might call it a day soon. I've also heard comments from Steve Harris before, for the last few years, talking about how long you can perform and what age feels right to stop.

That said, they're still not as old as Ozzy or Mick Mars, and they're still getting out there and doing it.

I'm not saying they'll stop completely, and might do the odd show over the next 5 to 10 years, but I think after the tour in support of Final Frontier is over you might see the end of Iron Maiden as a traditional metal band - as in releasing studio albums and touring worldwide in support.

• Advertisement

I've tried listening to more of this album, but everytime I do, I just it a chore to listen to. This album for me is the most dissapointing Maiden album in my history of buying Iron Maiden albums, and it's an album I won't be buying unfortunately. :(

You mustn't have bought Virtual XI then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I actually like The Angel And The Gambler, but yeah, The Final Frontier is miles ahead overall.

blastman wrote: »
    I actually like The Angel And The Gambler, but yeah, The Final Frontier is miles ahead overall.

I can't stand 'The Angel And The Gambler', it's a horrible song, but each to their own.;)

I actually bought 'Virtual XI' years ago, and I quite liked it at the time. Although it's not a great album, songs like 'The Clansman' and maybe some other songs are way better than the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Read an interview with their guitarist Dave recently that made me think that they might call it a day soon. I've also heard comments from Steve Harris before, for the last few years, talking about how long you can perform and what age feels right to stop.

That said, they're still not as old as Ozzy or Mick Mars, and they're still getting out there and doing it.

I'm not saying they'll stop completely, and might do the odd show over the next 5 to 10 years, but I think after the tour in support of Final Frontier is over you might see the end of Iron Maiden as a traditional metal band - as in releasing studio albums and touring worldwide in support.

I think thats happening too for some strange reason. Then to call the album The Final Frontier, would seem very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

I've been to the O2 gig and Maiden still has it... it was a great craic, unfortunately the sound wasn't great during the first 30 mins or so but then they fixed it and from then on the show went only upwards! Dickinson ran like crazy all the time and Harris & Gers were amazing playing with the guitars as if they were simple toys.

For those who say this is the last tour, I could guarantee we are going to see more from them.

You could get The Final Frontier album from Amazon UK for less than a tenner.

I could guarantee you, it's money well spent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Heard a good few of the songs that've been uploaded to YT, I'm buying this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Typical night out with the lads

only cost about 2.5K in our money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

78 pints of the Black Stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Heard a good few of the songs that've been uploaded to YT, I'm buying this for sure.

Never quoted myself before, but I bought this and I'm really enjoying it. Great album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Typical night out with the lads

only cost about 2.5K in our money!

Fcuk, 8.25 a pint of Guinness!!!

Who's bill is that? Fans or Band?

Advertisement