Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should we still be buying 'the ring'?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

VenusPlays wrote: »
    I recently was reliabley informed that a couple I know spent 25 grand on her ring and her dress was a 20 grand designer one off!!! Now they've money to burn but I dont get that sort of extravagance.

If they have money to burn then fair enough but disclosing the price of those items is crass and tacky in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I agree with Acoshla about liking sparkly pretty jewellery - not for any status ambitions (??!!) - just because it looks nice. And I like the symbolism of the rings - committment, eternal etc. Thos things get at the romantic in me. However, I agree that engagements and weddings in general are very one-sided - this whole ''it's her day'' thing and again, only the lady gets a ring. Very unfair imo. Hence I bought a ring for my OH as a surprise after we got engaged. He was delighted. I would have proposed probably but he told me in no uncertain terms that he wanted to do that. Change comes from both men and women, don't forget - it's not just the ladies maintaining the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's up to the couple, as I wouldn't pass any judgement on a guy who wanted to buy a girl a ring, but I voted no, as I don't think we would personally be going down that road. Or if we did, it would be a piece of jewelry for me and a watch for him. :)

I wear a ring on my ring finger anyway. It fits there, that's the only reason. But then I practice the art of living dangerously by walking under ladders and persistent use of the number 13. :cool::pac:

Advertisement