Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of starting German-styled pub in Dublin

• 13-01-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I got shafted at Christmas from my work. Luckily I have something in the pipeline. However with all these layoffs I am looking at self-employment or going into partnership and am thinking of a German styled bar in Dublin with German and Irish food in the city centre etc. It is just a thought but since I have worked previously in tourism and catering and would like to knukle down at something I would genuniely enjoy but don't want to blow my savings either. Has anybody any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tolle Idee, viel Glück :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I dont speak any German but, love their food and beer, I would totally go to your bar!!!! City centre or outskirts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It would depend on your Dirndl's policy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Here is your first customer :D

But it would be interesting to know the whereabouts, and if there was German Bundesliga football on a big screen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Lars1916 wrote: »
    But it would be interesting to know the whereabouts, and if there was German Bundesliga football on a big screen ;)

No German pub would survive in Ireland without the BuLi ;)

I would imagine it would do quite well, I know of a lot of German in Ireland who miss German food (esp. Quark and white asparagus when it's in season), so if you had a supplier who could deliver German food I'd say you'd get quite a few customers, throw in a few Kartoffelklöße and you'll be flying ;) and as Lars mentioned Bundesliga on the big screen - that should attract the Irish customers

• Advertisement

Apanachi wrote: »
    No German pub would survive in Ireland without the BuLi ;)

I would imagine it would do quite well, I know of a lot of German in Ireland who miss German food (esp. Quark and white asparagus when it's in season), so if you had a supplier who could deliver German food I'd say you'd get quite a few customers, throw in a few Kartoffelklöße and you'll be flying ;)and as Lars mentioned Bundesliga on the big screen - that should attract the Irish customers

And we could celebrate Borussia Dortmund defending the title as well :D

Anyway, there are loads of occasions, Germans celebrate throughout the year, Karneval, Oktoberfest, for example, there could be special offers them days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

terrific idea op, would it be holocost themed or nazi party theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

..oh dear...:(

I suppose, that's a joke, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D Unclejunior count yourself as the first person barred :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Definitely certain foods etc would be most welcome. Just don't do a themed pub (like purely Bavarian or anything like that) keep it open enough for all variations of German beers and cuisine (you serve roast pork or any meats for that matter I'm so there). ;)

And currywurst:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Infracted AND banned for six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Thx for the replies (except for the one stupid remark) I was planning for the city centre and looking at starting around September time. Are there any German chefs out there or anybody who would be interested in looking at this going fwd? If so pls write back or pm me

janullrich wrote: »
    Thx for the replies (except for the one stupid remark) I was planning for the city centre and looking at starting around September time. Are there any German chefs out there or anybody who would be interested in looking at this going fwd? If so pls write back or pm me

You could maybe get in contact with the German equivalent of FAS (http://www.arbeitsagentur.de) and ask them to put up an ad for you on their website?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Come out to Maynooth and open a Studentenkneip and offer good beer and preisgünstiges essen - the rent will be a lot less and you'd have a permanently thirsty customer base (not just me...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Sounds lovely - love German food myself so would definately visit for a feed when Im in Dublin :D

I hope you follow through on your brilliant idea and I wish you success!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Great idea op, I think location would be higely important in order for this to be a success as well as the right marketing.

But you could count on me as a customer especially is you could get the likes of Hoffbrau or Augustiner on tap would be a huge plus.

Great idea op, I think location would be higely important in order for this to be a success as well as the right marketing.

But you could count on me as a customer especially is you could get the likes of Hoffbrau or Augustiner on tap would be a huge plus.

For me it would be Brinkhoff's Nr1 or Kronen Export :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

get the curry wurst in and ill commute to drink there

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

I think this is a great idea.

What is your idea of a 'German styled bar'?
    Do you mean an Irish 'German theme' pub, or something more genuine?

Well trained, mannerly German staff would be a priority imo.
    Table service.
    Individual bill option, (not Irish 'rounds' system), probably difficult to
    manage though.
    Limited TV, (maybe a very small one for BuLi :))

I would be wary of imitating the typical Irish Pub abroad model,
    with fake Oirish crap, essentially catering for the ExPat/Tourist English speaking community.

There is a huge interest and affection for Germany & German 'stuff' here, so done properly it could be a great success.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

jb-ski wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea.

What is your idea of a 'German styled bar'?
    Do you mean an Irish 'German theme' pub, or something more genuine?

Well trained, mannerly German staff would be a priority imo.
    Table service.
    Individual bill option, (not Irish 'rounds' system), probably difficult to
    manage though.
    Limited TV, (maybe a very small one for BuLi :))

I would be wary of imitating the typical Irish Pub abroad model,
    with fake Oirish crap, essentially catering for the ExPat/Tourist English speaking community.

There is a huge interest and affection for Germany & German 'stuff' here, so done properly it could be a great success.

Best of luck.

If it was a big screen, I would settle for an extra room in the pub. But please no small telly with a stamp-sized screen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ich glaube du stellst die Frage im falschen Forum :D

Klaro sagt hier jede(r) gleich Hurrah und schreit nach Currywurst / Gruenkohl mit Pinkel / Maultaschen /Semmelnknoedeln (je nach Herkunft :D) und will dein bester Kunde sein.

Kommst du damit jedoch bei der irischen gen-pop an?

Schau mal wieviele Biersorten an irischen Zapfhaehnen schon klaeglich vertrocknet sind ...was der Ire nicht kennt, das saeuft er nicht und ich fuerchte fuer's Essen gilt aehnliches.

Stell' die Frage mal in after hours, ignoriere die ueblichen Nazi Klischees und sonstgen AH Bloedsinn und schau mal auf wieviel ECHTES Interesse du stoesst ...ich fuerchte es wird nicht viel sein. Jedenfalls nicht soviel wie ein inner-city pub zum Ueberleben braucht.

peasant wrote: »
    Ich glaube du stellst die Frage im falschen Forum :D

Klaro sagt hier jede(r) gleich Hurrah und schreit nach Currywurst / Gruenkohl mit Pinkel / Maultaschen /Semmelnknoedeln (je nach Herkunft :D) und will dein bester Kunde sein.

Kommst du damit jedoch bei der irischen gen-pop an?

Schau mal wieviele Biersorten an irischen Zapfhaehnen schon klaeglich vertrocknet sind ...was der Ire nicht kennt, das saeuft er nicht und ich fuerchte fuer's Essen gilt aehnliches.

Stell' die Frage mal in after hours, ignoriere die ueblichen Nazi Klischees und sonstgen AH Bloedsinn und schau mal auf wieviel ECHTES Interesse du stoesst ...ich fuerchte es wird nicht viel sein. Jedenfalls nicht soviel wie ein inner-city pub zum Ueberleben braucht.

Es gibt ein paar Deutsche in Dublin, ich hab mal in der Naehe von Google HQ gearbeitet, da waren schon einige...und vielleicht auch potentielle Kunden ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

Einige ist aber noch nicht genug um ein Business zu fuehren.

Wenn die Preise gut sind kann ich mir allerdings vorstellen dass sich schon Kunden finden wuerden, ob das mit importierten Waren aber so klappt.

Raladic wrote: »
    Einige ist aber noch nicht genug um ein Business zu fuehren.

Wenn die Preise gut sind kann ich mir allerdings vorstellen dass sich schon Kunden finden wuerden, ob das mit importierten Waren aber so klappt.

Hinzu kommen doch noch deutsche Touristen, da liesse sich schon was machen, wenn man es geschickt anstellt ;)

Und mal abgesehen von den Bierfaessern, ein guter Koch bekommt auch aus den hier zu kaufenden Lebensmitteln ein gutes Essen hin, das wie in Deutschland schmeckt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Hinzu kommen doch noch deutsche Touristen, da liesse sich schon was machen, wenn man es geschickt anstellt ;)

Und mal abgesehen von den Bierfaessern, ein guter Koch bekommt auch aus den hier zu kaufenden Lebensmitteln ein gutes Essen hin, das wie in Deutschland schmeckt.
    Ich bin Oesterreicher, also nicht ganz deutsch, aber mit dem Senf den man hier bekommt geb ich mich nicht ab und ansonsten braucht man glaub ich auch einen Metzger der willig ist gewisse Dinge wie Wuerste zu machen wie es sie zuhause gibt.

Die Idee ist nicht neu, aber ich bin gespannt :)

Raladic wrote: »
    Ich bin Oesterreicher, also nicht ganz deutsch, aber mit dem Senf den man hier bekommt geb ich mich nicht ab und ansonsten braucht man glaub ich auch einen Metzger der willig ist gewisse Dinge wie Wuerste zu machen wie es sie zuhause gibt.

Die Idee ist nicht neu, aber ich bin gespannt :)

Wiener Schnitzel und Apfelstrudel moegen wir aber beide, nicht wahr? ;)

Deutschen Senf muesste man wohl exportieren und was das Fleisch angeht? Da gibt es einen Metzger in der Wexford Street (hab den Namen vergessen, aber er hat rote Fenster), da schmecken die Wuerste wie in Deutschland.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

@Peasant, I presume the main target market would be the thousands of educated, middle class* Irish who have possibly spent an erasmus year, or worked in, Germany. or maybe just one's who are open to something different, albeit with good beer.

The German community here would also be important, but unlikely to be large enough to support an inner city bar, as you said.

Good, simple, reasonably priced food would be my preference, be interesting to see what others think.
    Any good location suggestions/ideas??

*don't crucify me for this non-pc comment please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What would be really cool is if you could brew your own German style beer and serve it. I would imagine it would be fairly expensive importing German beers and you could find it very difficult to compete with the bars around you based on the price of the typical beers found in Irish bars.

I would keep the menu simple and go for the cream egg effect with monthly specials such as Schwabische, Bayern, Nord Deutsch specialites, etc. Keep the people interested and coming back.

Great idea, hope it works out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You could try and link in with the German Societies which may exist at Universities (I know UCD has one) to have their cultural evenings/outings there etc.
    peasant wrote: »
    ...was der Ire nicht kennt, das saeuft er nicht....

Stimmt! :D Aber ich denke es wird auch Iren geben die deutsches Bier lieben. Ich kenne fast keinen der nicht von der einen oder anderen Biersorte begeistert ist und die Familie meiner (irischen) Frau habe ich schon lange bekehrt.

Advertisement