Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

karaokeman wrote: »
    Have to agree with this.

True Kasabian are bigger than they were in 09 but they still wouldn't be big enough to do a huge outdoor show here unless it was as part of a support bill.

If they didn't sell out the 02 when tickets were €40 I couldn't see them manage a 45,000 audience for €63.

I would probably be interested to see Kasabian open for Muse (if Muse are announced).

If they have a good support bill it may not sell out but they def would sell well . Although i do agree if they charge €63 for them then it will flop but if they keep tickets down to even €45/50 again with a strong support announced straight away . Pretty sure they said they are no longer a support band so they wouldnt support Muse again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

If they have a good support bill it may not sell out but they def would sell well . Although i do agree if they charge €63 for them then it will flop but if they keep tickets down to even €45/50 again with a strong support announced straight away . Pretty sure they said they are no longer a support band so they wouldnt support Muse again

I'd be interested to see who would support Kasabian.

I think you're right they probably are too big to be a support act at this stage.

They could do Marlay Park if not the Phoenix Park. If supports are good, announced straight away with ticket prices in around €50 they may be able to shift 30,000 tickets.

Did Tom Meighan specifically say they would be playing festivals next year? In my mind it would really depend if they are playing anywhere else. Its probably because these gigs are placing Oxegen but I do believe the acts playing here will be similar to that of TITP.

I'd be interested to see who would support Kasabian.

I think you're right they probably are too big to be a support act at this stage.

They could do Marlay Park if not the Phoenix Park. If supports are good, announced straight away with ticket prices in around €50 they may be able to shift 30,000 tickets.

Did Tom Meighan specifically say they would be playing festivals next year? In my mind it would really depend if they are playing anywhere else. Its probably because these gigs are placing Oxegen but I do believe the acts playing here will be similar to that of TITP.

Id say they will only use Pheonix Park next year and not use Marlay Park at all .

I think the only festival for them to play is Reading and Leeds at this stage since they have headlined all of them bar Reading and Leeds .

What about

Kasabian
    Biffy Clyro
    The Vaccines

Something like that would sell pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

But the thing is now they are bigger then they were in 09 . 2 very succesful Irish arena dates , but if they announced some proper support acts it will sell well

Just another point to add the tickets for the Marquee were only about 33 euro(i was gonna go)are they that much bigger now that they can sell 45,000(ten times the amount)at nearly twice the price(if all the gigs are the 60 quid mark at least)i just cant see it,theyre gonna need a lot of strong support acts just to shift a decent amount in fairness

All this reminds me i must listen to their new album! still havent heard it

Just another point to add the tickets for the Marquee were only about 33 euro(i was gonna go)are they that much bigger now that they can sell 45,000(ten times the amount)at nearly twice the price(if all the gigs are the 60 quid mark at least)i just cant see it,theyre gonna need a lot of strong support acts just to shift a decent amount in fairness

All this reminds me i must listen to their new album! still havent heard it

Yea i agree with you if they charge €60 they will def struggle to sell well , but also the fact Kasabian were also doing Slane that year most people probably just seen them there instead of going to Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

of course looking at the other end of the scale, they have just applied for licenses, that really doesn't mean they'll get them at all.....there's other things going on here next summer like the Formula1 weekend in Dublin, and I don't see them getting the go ahead to have 7 gigs in the Park....
    What if they only get 3 - in that scenario there's only 2 left to be announced, and if the demographic is correct one of those would be either The Who or someone like Elton John.....

will be interesting to see who they get, but from my perspective they'd want to start announcing things soon as I'll be going to Festivals outside Ireland which will be better organised than Phoenix Park gigs.....

Van Halen announced today that the 2012 World Tour is happening and tickets start to go on sale Jan 10th so some details will emerge soon on that....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 oconnell122

who_ru wrote: »
    these will be the acts announced...

1. Christy Moore & Declan Sinnot
    2. Jedward
    3. The Corrs & The 4 Of Us & Aslan
    4. Stone Roses
    5. Two Door Cinema Club (no support)
    6. X Factor Live

bahahahahah
    you are taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I could not see an outdoor van Halen gig selling well in Ireland unless it's a festival or has good support bands. I believe mcd will target particular genres ie pop, rock, opera. Sure we just have too wait and see

bahahahahah
    you are taking the piss?

Ah now that lineup was random but maybe not all the acts were intended as headliners, I initially thought they were.

Christy Moore and Sinnot would love to see, maybe not as a headliner not big enough. I saw them in Mullingar three years ago and they put on quite a show, also saw Christy with Coldplay at Oxegen great stage presence so would love to see him on support somewhere.

Jedward are by no means popular, when have they headlined anywhere other than university halls?

The Corrs are a good band musically, pop but not manufactured as they play trad instruments and write decent tunes. They are on an extended hiatus so I can't see us hearing anything from them for a while.

Stone Roses obviously already announced.

Two Door Cinema Club while a decent act would not be big enough to headline and they would hardly sell 500 tickets let alone 45,000 especially with no support acts.

X Factor lineup would never do festivals, not that type of audience. Same goes for the likes of Westlife, your talking acts who have self-professed to be more suited to arena shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

It'll be like a Tennants Vital sorta setup I reckon. Music starts about 4pm, everyone is out by about 11

• Advertisement

Two Door Cinema Club while a decent act would not be big enough to headline and they would hardly sell 500 tickets let alone 45,000 especially with no support acts.

As much as im not a fan of 2DCC they would at least sell 5000 tickets , they are pretty big , but i know where you are coming from saying they couldnt headline and i agree.

I think

Kasabian or Snow Patrol
    Rihanna
    Lady Gaga
    Stone Roses
    The Killers
    Foo Fighters(unless they do Slane)

Also if T-Vital is back id bet Kasabian as one of the headliners

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

As much as im not a fan of 2DCC they would at least sell 5000 tickets , they are pretty big , but i know where you are coming from saying they couldnt headline and i agree.

I think

Kasabian or Snow Patrol
    Rihanna
    Lady Gaga
    Stone Roses
    The Killers
    Foo Fighters(unless they do Slane)

Also if T-Vital is back id bet Kasabian as one of the headliners

best guess so far imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Beans_On wrote: »
    I'd say Radiohead are nailed on for this. European tour this summer

This would be pretty epic. Then I can finally say that I stood still at a Radiohead concert.
    CiaranK wrote: »
    ''Age demographic between 16 and 65''

That sounds interesting. I'm guessing they will be very diverse acts (With a bit of luck)

Maybe AC/DC? Long shot, but their age demo back in 09 was probably between 5-70!
    So Red Hot Chilli Peppers confirmed for one, Stone Roses confirmed for another

I get the feeling that Metallica will be the Rock day and then we'll have the likes of Elton John (also performing in the UK this Summer) and possibly Bruce Springsteen, and then maybe a Pearl Jam/SoundGarden gig

I just came a little. Throw Alice In Chains (And maybe Bush, as a support act? And Kurbdog!) into that mix, and you've a solid rock day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So i woke up earlier and can only describe my nights sleep as weird, had an epiphany, or some bollox.

Here's 4 of the gigs that will be at Phoenix Park this year, and in no particular order

BLACK SABBATH
    ROB ZOMBIE
    1 of Corey Taylors bands (Slipknot/Stone Sour)
    BLACK STONE CHERRY

PEARL JAM
    SOUNDGARDEN
    SHINEDOWN

VAN HALEN
    THE OFFSPRING
    THE DARKNESS

FOO FIGHTERS
    KASABIAN
    TENACIOUS D

Enjoy ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    So i woke up earlier and can only describe my nights sleep as weird, had an epiphany, or some bollox.

Here's 4 of the gigs that will be at Phoenix Park this year, and in no particular order

BLACK SABBATH
    ROB ZOMBIE
    BLACK STONE CHERRY

PEARL JAM
    SOUNDGARDEN
    SHINEDOWN

VAN HALEN
    THE OFFSPRING
    THE DARKNESS

FOO FIGHTERS
    KASABIAN
    TENACIOUS D

Enjoy ;)

3b0f78ee-3f86-4471-b00e-d8acf5dca868.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

BLACK SABBATH
    ROB ZOMBIE
    BLACK STONE CHERRY

PEARL JAM
    SOUNDGARDEN
    SHINEDOWN

VAN HALEN
    THE OFFSPRING
    THE DARKNESS

FOO FIGHTERS
    KASABIAN
    TENACIOUS D

Enjoy ;)

By the beard of Zeus, if that was really it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MrPirate wrote: »
    By the beard of Zeus, if that was really it... :D

The thing is, those 4 gigs would probably sell out without a problem.

Only 1 i could see maybe having a problem is Sabbath.

All those bands are touring this summer so it's not beyond the realms of possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

isnt it more likely to be bon jovi, michael buble, take that, foo fighters, neil diamond and the frames / mundy / paddy midget casey?

conno16 wrote: »
    isnt it more likely to be bon jovi, michael buble, take that, foo fighters, neil diamond and the frames / mundy / paddy midget casey?

Bon Jovi finished touring last July and I've heard next to nothing about their future tour/album plans.

Michael Buble is in around Europe next April but its extremely unlikely an Irish date will be added at this stage. His tour finishes up in May so no doubt he will come no where near the Phoenix Park.

Take That are on a two-year hiatus and even if they weren't, Gary has self-admitted they don't do festivals.

Foo Fighters (fingers crossed) still owe Ireland a massive outdoor show so hopefully.

Haven't heard anything about the rest.

The thing is, those 4 gigs would probably sell out without a problem.

Only 1 i could see maybe having a problem is Sabbath.

All those bands are touring this summer so it's not beyond the realms of possibility

Id say if you take Kasabian and just leave Tenacious D as main support it would be more like it

• Advertisement

The Killers have teased fans that are waiting eagerly for a new record, saying that a new Killers album will definitely be out by the end of 2012.

The band have been working on and recording their fourth studio album for the past couple of weeks, and are confident that there will be a release before the end of the year. Speaking to Zane Lowe on his Radio 1 show, frontman Brandon Flowers talked about a possible release date – and reassured fans that there’d be no massive change in style.

“There will definitely be a Killers record coming out in 2012,” Flowers excitedly confessed. “It's just whether it's out in the summer time or the winter time. That's still up for debate. We're still in the factory working!

“We wrote a lot of songs that weren't completely finished and it would become an epiphany when a great song happens as there were so many crappy ones. Now I'd say we know how to get it to a certain level and it's difficult to know if it's a ten or not.”

“We've already done some recording. We've done a little bit with Brendan O'Brien and now we're sneaking in some time with Steve Lillywhite. We're not looking to go and make some drastic change or throw a curveball.

“I think the consensus in the band is: let's take the things we have already done and really hone in on that. We don't want to make Hot Fuss 2, Sam's Town 2 or another Day & Age, but we may take the best of all of that stuff and really do what we know how to do. It's definitely a Killers record.
    Maybe we might not see The Killers till later on in the year? Possibly do arena tour late in the year then back for festival season in 2013. Although id say they will still do a few festivals this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I saw this on the Hot Press website earlier on:
    The Killers are gearing up to release their first album in four years, according to lead singer Brandon Flowers.

Speaking to Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1 earlier this week, Flowers confirmed the follow-up to 2008's divisive Day & Age will surface later this year, although the frontman has yet to reveal a specific date.

'We're just kind of in the factory, working," he said. "We've written a lot of songs but they aren't completely finished"

Drummer Ronnie Vannucci has previously called for a more guitar-heavy sound and Flowers is adamant that album number four won't be a retread of previous efforts.

"We don't want to make Hot Fuss 2 or Sam's Town 2, or Day & Age 2. We'll maybe take all that stuff, the best of all of it and do what we know how to do."

Now that the album is confirmed you can expect a tour announcement won't be far behind and with some huge gigs set for Irish shores this year, don't be surprised if the Las Vegas showmen put in an appearance.

Bolded part at the end there done by me. Sounds very much to me like they're implying that one of these gigs will be The Killers.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I saw this on the Hot Press website earlier on:

Bolded part at the end there done by me. Sounds very much to me like they're implying that one of these gigs will be The Killers.

Or they could do T-Vital? Id say either Snow Patrol , Killers , Stone Roses or Kasbian will headline it (if its back this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

iangobl wrote: »
    I heard Foo fighters said at oxegen last year they would be back in ireland in summer 2012. Hopefully they play one of these. Ill be first in line if they are anyway

Yeah, I would definitely go if Foo Fighters were announced. Haven't seen them since 2005!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Yeah, I would definitely go if Foo Fighters were announced. Haven't seen them since 2005!

saw them twice last summer, and I would go again, they are brilliant live, it would be great if tenacious d where playing with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭bren2001

Or they could do T-Vital? Id say either Snow Patrol , Killers , Stone Roses or Kasbian will headline it (if its back this year)

If you listen to the full interview on Zane Lowe Brandon almost states that they will be playing some shows in the UK (and presumably Ireland) this summer. They have said since last year they will be playing festivals this summer so I wouldnt rule them out. All they have to do is release a single from the album (presumably Battle Born) and they will have public interest again.

bren2001 wrote: »
    If you listen to the full interview on Zane Lowe Brandon almost states that they will be playing some shows in the UK (and presumably Ireland) this summer. They have said since last year they will be playing festivals this summer so I wouldnt rule them out. All they have to do is release a single from the album (presumably Battle Born) and they will have public interest again.

Sure it would be a huge loss to MCD if they didn't book The Killers.

The fact stands Oxegen sales last year were sluggish, we need massive bands who can sell out 45,000 tickets.

The Killers can because they still have a strong Irish fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    According to a national newspaper today Mcd plan to hold 6 concerts at phoenix park for the summer of 2012.

Who do u say these acts will be ???

My Guess

Stone Roses (Already Confirmed)
    Metallica
    Lady Gaga
    Foo Fighters
    Coldplay
    Either The Killers/Paul Mcarthny or Someone else

I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

The Phoenix Park is not a good venue for small people though. Oxegen and Slane are both on natural amphitheatres so you can always find a spot where you can see the stage. Went to the RHCP in the Park a few years back and couldn't see a thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

according to the daily star today rihanna is been tipped for one of these gigs

Advertisement