Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A gradual tan from a bottle!

Options
  • 16-07-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Hi girls,

Does anyone have any suggestions on a light self-tan that doesn't cost a lot?
    I won't be getting a spray tan, would prefer to do it myself but don't wear tan much and when I do it's my good friend Sally H!

I need this to last all day and not wear off on my clothes so any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Cocoa brown have a gradual tanner that I really like, dove and garnier also have very good ones!! All are around the 5-8e mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Is the Cocoa Brown one the one from Penneys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Of all the gradual tanners (and I've tried many!) I think Dove is the best. Goes on well and doesn't seem to go streaky or patchy. Takes a few days to see colour, but if you top it up, then it lasts well.
    Currently on half price offer in Dunnes. About €3.80 I think? Less than €4 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

+1 for Dove Summer Skin. Takes about 3 days/applications for the colour to build up with the Fair-Medium one (there's also a Medium-Dark version), but it's almost foolproof and non-transferable. Lasts about a week (even with showering) if you top it up every two days or so. It could probably last longer but I like to scrub everything off after a week :)

Is the Cocoa Brown one the one from Penneys?

I think so, I've just got it in my local chemist! I really like all the cocoa brown stuff, I think it's an excellent line, and the prices are great and it's irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I love Cocoa Brown usually but found the gradual tanner Gentle Bronze in the range really crap. Too orange looking and streaky no matter how carefully I applied. OP, I would use the original Cocoa Brown and leave on for 2 hours and you should get a nice light colour. Apparently there is an instant tan in the rage coming out in the Autumn which I am looking forward to trying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Another vote for dove! I've just started the dove gradual tan (dark shade) and i don't think i'l ever be bothered with a spray tan again, i just slap it on before getting into my pyjamas and I've a lovely glow the following morning, and it's so simple to use. I'm not dark but after reading reviews before i tried, it was recommended to use the dark shade as not many people were seeing results with the light shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I only use dove. I've tried others but always go back to dove as it's foolproof

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Another Dove user here! I've tried lots of other gradual tanners & this one is the best on my skin (so far, anyway!) I use the fair/medium one which takes a few days to build up. If I have a fading tan after a holiday then I use the darker one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Must try this Dove one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Another Dove fan here..Ive tried loads but find Dove the best by far...I use the light to medium ..its gives a lovely colour and looks very natural..

Getting me some dove! Less than € 4 in Boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Dove have a new gradual tan with shimmer..has anyone tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I haven't spotted this yet @Percyxoxo but when I do it will be coming home with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

rougegal wrote: »
    I haven't spotted this yet @Percyxoxo but when I do it will be coming home with me!

:-) I spotted it in Dunnes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Dove have a new gradual tan with shimmer..has anyone tried this?

Yes, I have. I didn't really find any difference between the shimmer one and the regular one to be honest. The shimmer is very subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Dove gradual tan is amazing I use it all the time, only E3/4 too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Dove is also my fave! I use the darker one, as it just means I need to apply less, I'm lazy when it comes to this kind of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Surprised so many like the Dove, I think it takes ages to dry on, is so easily streaky and worst of all, it comes off patchily, which is not attractive.

I use Tan Organic, it's the consistency of water, dries on in seconds and comes up over a few hours. Wears off gradually, no scrubbing required. It's about 20 euro for a bottle, I'm on the same bottle since Xmas 2012 :)

I bought dove fair to medium and the medium to dark.
    Defeats the purpose if it being on half price though!! Going to start on it next Monday or Tuesday! Fingers crossed! No dress to wear to wedding yet, last minute.com!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Wow, the Dove seems to be winning by a mile, have to try it.

Personally I only have experience of the garnier gradual sun which is pretty easy to use and builds a good colour in just one application, it does have a tendancy to streak a little though.

On the other hand if you're not adverse to using a spray, I love garnier's ombre solaire dry mist. Super easy to use and a decent colour on the first application, wears nice and evenly too, but the real beauty is that it doesn't cling to certain areas like wrists, ankles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tizzard

I love the idea of these moisturizers with a hint of a tan - But I get a rash from Dove, Johnsons and the Garnier version. Does anyone know of a chemical free option? The only one I could find on line is Eco Tan Winter Skin - but this only seems to be available in the US or Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Another dove fan here. Gives such a natural colour+ you can't really mess it up. The smell isn't as bad as some others + it lasts a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Do you moisturise first and then put on the Dove or is it enough just applying the Dove straight after a shower say??

Thanks.

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Do you moisturise first and then put on the Dove or is it enough just applying the Dove straight after a shower say??

Thanks.

When I used Dove I would exfoliate in the shower and then apply the Dove straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well, if ever I saw a consensus! Off to try the Dove.

I've tried half a dozen over years and found the Johnson one the best but SO subtle it took ages to build. All the others left "edges", or wore off onto pale clothes.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    When I used Dove I would exfoliate in the shower and then apply the Dove straight after.

I like to apply a body butter to my dry areas first so they don't absorb too much tan; heels,knees and elbows, hands and beside your armpits

Tried the dove and loved it except I seemed to wash lots of it off in the shower Saturday morning so had to apply a bit of Sally!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

yeah dove is very good but check which one you buy - one has shimmer one doesn't so what you like will depend on your preference.

I used to love St tropez but am turned off it now - im convinced they must have changed the formula as it used to be good but now its just streak streak streak!

I am a fan of the cocoa brown daily tanner. Hated the one hour stuff the original one but love the daily one.

For full on tan I use a product called crazy angel its brilliant

• Advertisement

I wish they had a fake tan that came in a sachet that you could empty into a bath full of water, get in, immerse your whole body for a few seconds, get out and dry off and be evenly tanned all over with no smell or streaks.

Advertisement