Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cream for Stretch marks??

• 09-10-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Anyone have any advice on what works or what doesnt work for stretch marks? Or how often to put it on, once, twice a day? I heard Bio-oil is great? Anyone try it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I've heard you're either genetically disposed to get them or not. If your Mum had them you are more likely to get them.

Bio-oil or Neroli oil may help diminish them but I don't think it will prevent them. I'm putting bio-oil on at night time but my skin isn't stretched or itchy yet. Am 22 weeks now. Will probably be pouring it on in a few weeks. Am hoping for the best as neither my Mum nor sister got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Yup, as far as I'm aware, you'll get them or you won't, and no amount of cream will save you. That said, my mother didn't have them and I had gazillions. No new ones so far in this pregnancy, touch wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Palmers Cocoa Butter is very good and smells delicious! You can get one for stretch marks (prevention and cure apparently) but it doesn't smell as fab.

I use it all the time and I think my skin is great if I do say so myself! I don't know if it's going to prevent me getting stretch marks in the long run but fingers crossed!

I think generally if your skin is in good condition then you're a little less likely to suffer with them

I've heard good and bad about bio-oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I got some sort of oil in clarins thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

pure teatree oil, massively diluted is great for scar tissue/stretch marks.

between surgery, and some interesting piercings, have had cause to use it in the past, and it works great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

On my first i got a load of stretch marks - i didnt use any cream. On my second i used bio oil, at least once a day and got hardly any more stretch marks??? Bio oil I think is one of the cheapest on the market so if ya can afford it you might as well. I did try the clarins one (cant remember the name) but i found the smell so revulsive i couldnt use it, had to throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mel123

Definatly bio-oil. 3 of my friends used this and never got one stretch mark. I am not pregnant and use it, it makes ur skin feel great. U will have to use it daily, but it will be worth it. And dont forgot, not just the tummy, boobs too :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got the Palmers cocoa butter for pregnancy stretch marks too,it is only about 8euro for a big bottle and makes skin feel so soft and lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got the Palmers cocoa butter for pregnancy stretch marks too,it is only about 8euro for a big bottle and makes skin feel so soft and lovely!

And whether it works or not, it smells heavenly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I'm a huge clarins fan but the minute I got pregnant I couldn't stand the smell of their oil. Ditto for the Palmers which I normally love. I switched to BioOil and hey presto it was fine, no gawking! I used the Fenjal shower oil as well as I went off all my shower stuff and as well as smelling gorgeous it must have done the trick because I haven't a mark on me and I've been prone to stretch marks on my thighs my whole life just from weight gain and loss. But fortunately I hit on a recipe that worked for me. Just be careful with the Fenjal that you use a good shower mat in the bath or shower and it's really slippy stuff! Someone said to me recently about the cost of the Bio Oil over the course of the pregnancy being high (I really slathered it on morning and night!) and all I said was - If I dont do it and I get stretch marks, and someone comes along afterwards and advertises a great new skin treatment or procedure that costs 150 or 200 euro to get rid of them would I pay it? You bet I would! So if it costs me 150 or 200 euro over the nine months I'll take my chances with the outcome! As it happenned it wasnt nearly that expensive. TOP TIP-Be sure to bring some into the labour ward with you to rub your back or legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Olive or almond oil. My mother used olive and never had any. I didn't use anything and didn't have any stretchmarks from pregnancy - but I had a lot of olive and fish oil that I took internally. Wouldn't you rather spend 200E on something other than oil?

Nope. Worth every penny. I haven't got one new mark on me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Neither do I and I hardly spent anything on expensive oils.

Lucky you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Tried out the Palmers cocoa buttter last night. It smells so good I had to fight the dog off. Has delicious vanilla chocolate smell. My 2 favourite smells in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

My wife used Bio-oil for two babies and it worked well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

I used nothing on my first (there wasn't much out then) and got them all below my naval, but I wasn't too upset because no one ever really sees there.

Absolutely disgusted to see them now appear on my torso.

Hadn't used anything up until now, foolishly thought I wouldn't get any more.

So, a friend recommended the Body Shop Cocoa Butter Body Butter and have used it every night.

No more have appeared. I'm of the opinion that you really can't do anything about them, but I believe the cocoa butter will help the healing process off them, and so I might as well start now.

My sister got one on her hip once that stretched so much it split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

The Body Shop cocoa butter body butter is very good, it almost looks good enough to eat! I thinks it's a little more expensive than the palmers cocoa butter but with christmas coming its something to put on the wish list!

I think i'm getting stretch marks on my boobs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Bio Oil- boots do an offer from time to time 3 for 2 and get the bigger bottle. You'll get a month out of the bottle. I used it morning and night and even applied after a shower to soak into the skin. Really worth money. My mother was riddled with stretch marks but I recone back 30years ago moisturing wasn't a big thing like it is now with us conscious ladies. So biggest thing is to moisturise

Advertisement