Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crystal Meth and Ireland

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Odysseus wrote: »
    Are you of the type of Opiod use that was occuring in Dublin as early as the 70, 80? We where the first country to report the abuse of Diconal in the 70s. The was a serious drug problem in certain parts of Dublin in those times. Though theonly treatment was either through Jervis St or youthe person was luckly to find a suitable GP who where viewed as pushers by the media.

The head shop certainly made certain substances easy to access, but we have always had a very interesting and hidden relationship with drugs in this country.
    I'm not in Dublin, that's partly the issue. It's something that was practically unseen and unheard of 20 years ago here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

pharmaton wrote: »
    Obviously those seeking treatment in greater numbers highlights the the level of use which I can honestly admit to being completely unaware of prior to this and it's a level which I find shocking. More than that, it's the type of people who are there for treatment, people you would never expect to see using heroin and often quite young too.

I think it is more a case of in the past year your concept of addicts and the type of people who can become addicts has changed due to you seening the reality of the situation.

Drug use knows no boundaries, you can have 16 year olds presenting for treatment and people in their late 50s or even early 60s. I assessed a guy last year who was 63.

Thankfully we are getting people into treatment younger these days which is helping with Hep C ect.

As you will see from different forums here there are quite a few people from both the Addiction Services and various community treatment programmes posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

If it did it didn't happen to anyone I know or grew up with.
    probably shouldnt of said it 'didnt happen 20 years ago' or 'its only with the advent of headshops it all started' then in fairness.

I've been doin drugs recreationally for near to 25 years and trust me,people have been making pigs of themselves doing it long before the headshops arrived on the scene,putting themselves in hospital or graves.

I'm not in Dublin, that's partly the issue. It's something that was practically unseen and unheard of 20 years ago here.

That type of drug use did occur outside of Dublin too, people focus on MST, Dike, Palf, DFs, Temgesic. Of course on to the same extent as Dublin but it did occur.

Some of the older guys used to travel all of the country to get and change scripts.

As to the topic of this thread I haven't seen that many use Cys Meth so far, though that is not to say it will not be a significant problem at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That type of drug use did occur outside of Dublin too, people focus on MST, Dike, Palf, DFs, Temgesic. Of course on to the same extent as Dublin but it did occur.

Some of the older guys used to travel all of the country to get and change scripts.

As to the topic of this thread I haven't seen that many use Cys Meth so far, though that is not to say it will not be a significant problem at a later stage.

Are you involved in HSE addiction service or mental health ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

thats hard to tell.There was f all of a crack epidemic compared to the states even when the country was flooded with cheap coke

mattjack wrote: »
    Are you involved in HSE addiction service or mental health ?

I'm Addiction Services been there since around 97.

returnNull wrote: »
    thats hard to tell.There was f all of a crack epidemic compared to the states even when the country was flooded with cheap coke

Oh I fully agree, then again you never know what is coming next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I can't convince you otherwise and I'll gladly leave it at that.

I am quite easily convinced by irrefutable fact. I shall leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

On the issue of whether crystal meth use will become a major problem in Ireland it's hard to sort out ominous warnings from tabloid sensationalism.

I'd assume that given the economics involved it should happen. If you can make an addictive substance in this country mainly from household products and over the counter pharmaceuticals you'll be able to undercut other addictive products that have to be smuggled in from the far side of the world. Some of the highest youth unemployment in Europe for the foreseeable future means a large supply of potential customers who may find more expensive drugs less attractive in these financially straitened times, after all social welfare payments of all sorts may be substantially cut or restricted.

Lack of interest in the drug from the criminals who would potentially supply it seems to be the main stumbling block so far, criminality and vision rarely go together. But sooner or later someone will capitalise on it. 20 years ago I doubt anyone would have predicted that Asian gangs would supply vast amounts of weed from grow houses in Ireland. Even though the market, technology and know-how to do so existed Irish criminals were happy to import low quality hash because there was no large scale competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

there is far too much hysteria around "meth". people think its some crazy drug like pcp was in the 80s. Its really not much different from other amphetamines such as dextroamphetmaine ie aderrall, which is used widely across america.
    Methamphetamine itself is already FDA approved for treatment of ADD via desoxyn, which although nowhere nearly as prescribed as adderall, it still is.
    Its quite hypocritical the medic claiming "crystal meth" is a completely dangerous substances while at the same time the FDA thinks it is effective in the treatment of ADD.

Anecdotally i also find it humurous people who have already done things like "speed" etc yet if you told them you did "crystal meth" once they would think you were a sub-human junkie filth.

Its quite similar to the oxycodone/heroin comparison. If you were addicted to oxycodone people would feel sorry for you, if you were addicted to heroin they would think of you as a complete society waster. When they are basically the same thing.

Advertisement