Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Information Systems.. Maths aspect

• 15-01-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,

I am going to fill out my cao in the next week or two and since the first time i read/heard about BIS iv been extremely interested.

I was certain about putting this number one until my guidance counsellor at school recently told me that i would need a high level of maths in order to do well in BIS.

This has me concerned as I do ordinary level maths and I am not fantastic at maths.

Iv been told that I would be better off doing something like Commerce.

Many Thanks,

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Look up the modules they do to see the level of maths required, modules.cit.ie

We're not back yet so you wont get many replies untill the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

In first year you'll do a module "Maths and Statistics";
    First Semester:

Descriptive Statistics
    Formation of frequency distrbutions and cumulative frequency distributions. Histograms, ogives, Barcharts, boxplots,

Financial Maths
    Compound Interest, Present value, Annuities, Amortisation, NPV, IRR.

Regression and correlation
    Two-variable regression and correlation. Scatter diagram, least squares line, the coefficient of correlation r, interpretation of r, coefficient of determination.

Software Tools

Excel and SPSS procedures for statistical and financial analysis.
    Second Semester:

Sampling Theory
    Sampling Theory, Sample statistics, Sampling Distributions, standard error. Point and interval estimates for means and proportions.

Hypothesis Testing
    Introduction to the concept of a test of hypothesis. Errors in hypothesis testing.

Probability
    Classical Probability, Relative frequency definition. Compound events, mutually exclusive and independent events.

Probability Distributions
    Discrete and Continuous variables. Probability Distributions. Expected value.

Software Tools
    Excel and statistical software procedures for statistical and financial analysis.

I did OL Maths as well and found the module fine. It's really just a continuation of LC Maths. It's also the only mathematical module you'll do in the course besides the Accounting modules in 1st and 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

I did the Bis degree and although I did higher level Maths for my LC i think you will get on fine with ordinary level maths

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tuzex89

Mats is same (almost) as you are doing now in your LC. Easy, just repeating all that you already know. Don't forget about programming module, many people are repeating it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BenC15

The maths aspect is fine, you'll do well in this course if your actually interested in technology, you need to be good with logic, and have a good imagination, you also need to be a fairly steady worker and have the ability to get on well with people.

Good Luck, Its actually a great course, and can lead to a wide range of good jobs.

Advertisement