Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Prison ?

• 24-10-2011 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I wonder if anyone can help me decipher something from a birth registration certificate from 1880. The info I can't make out is the location of work of the person's father. His home address appears to be 2 Roden Street, Limerick and his occupation is listed as "Warder of Keiliday Prison".

The Keiliday is the bit I'm not at all sure of. Anyone have any suggestions ?

I can't find anything which indicates that Limerick Prison has been known by any other name, although it certainly existed long before 1880. And I can't fit it to any other historical name I can find. Could it be a local name a prison might have been known as back then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭phog

Roden Street is at the back of the Army barracks so there may well have been a prison there in the 1800s.

I've never heard of the prison that you mention but I'll ask at work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

If you look at the map here (link) , there is mention of a prison near Roden street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

If you look at the map here (link) , there is mention of a prison near Roden street.

That's the old barracks jail down the back of the transport yard, I always thought that it was run by the Military. It's not very large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

found that map very ineresting, I always thought the sign for rhebogue on one of the roundabouts on childers road was spelled wrong, never knew what is now st marys park used to be military training ground. Amazing what you dont know about your own city sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I wonder if anyone can help me decipher something from a birth registration certificate from 1880. The info I can't make out is the location of work of the person's father. His home address appears to be 2 Roden Street, Limerick and his occupation is listed as "Warder of Keiliday Prison".

The Keiliday is the bit I'm not at all sure of. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you are unsure in deciphering the “occupation part” of the cert, why don’t you make a scan and upload it, so that we can all have a go at interpreting the handwriting.

The odd thing about Roden Street, is that it did not appear in the 1901 and 1911 census (Limerick Urban 4), which is not surprising as there is only one residence on it today.
    Roden Street and Roden Lane (now Barrack Hill) were possibly named because they were adjacent to the now demolished Roden House, which was located at the rear of the present red brick Technical Institute in O'Connell Avenue. It is an unusual name and it is also possible that itcould have some connection with Robert Jocely (1756-1820), 2nd Earl of Roden, who was Auditor General of the Irish Exchequer.

Limerick Street Names – Gerry Joyce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RobertDixon

If you are unsure in deciphering the “occupation part” of the cert, why don’t you make a scan and upload it, so that we can all have a go at interpreting the handwriting.

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far. All very interesting.

As suggested, I've scanned the certificate and hopefully it's attached to this message. I wonder if the word in question might be "military" ? All thoughts and comments appreciated.

It’s some scribble alright and I agree it must be military.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭phog

I dont think it's military but I dont have another suggestion.

Have you searched the 1901 and the 1911 census archives for more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I believe the word is "military". If you look to the right on the complete cert, at signature, qualification, residence of informant. Look at the way "mother" is written, and in particular the way the "m" is formed. It seems very similar to the starting letter of the word in question. I'd never have got an "m" out of it directly but by comparison it seems clear. So if "m" is the first letter, the "military" is easy to make out - with the dots over the "i" to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I believe the word is "military". If you look to the right on the complete cert, at signature, qualification, residence of informant. Look at the way "mother" is written, and in particular the way the "m" is formed. It seems very similar to the starting letter of the word in question. I'd never have got an "m" out of it directly but by comparison it seems clear. So if "m" is the first letter, the "military" is easy to make out - with the dots over the "i" to confirm.

Beat me to it, was going to say exactly the same thing.

• Advertisement

Limerick City Trades Register 1769-1925

Record Details: #39836 - Hugh Black - Military Prison Warder - Roden Street - 1879
    The local studies section of the city library never ceases to amaze me as to what one can find there. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RobertDixon

The local studies section of the city library never ceases to amaze me as to what one can find there. :cool:

Excellent. I had a page print-out from the 1880 Directory where Hugh, although deceased, is still listed but simply as a "prison warder". The 1879 Directory makes it crystal clear.

Thanks to everyone to helped me out. Greatly appreciated.

Advertisement