Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roof Insulation

Options
  • 16-04-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

First time poster so hopefully I make sense in what Im saying. Im building a new house at present & Im looking into different types of roof insulation. Its a dormer/story & half house. Im trying to get it as airtight as possible. I want to insulate from the wall plate to the ridge as I have only a small attic area. I am considering the following 2 options
    1. Putting spray foam between the rafters from the wall plate to the ridge & putting an insulated plaster board on top of it. The crowd that supply this said I can apply the foam direct to the breathable felt & there is no need for any plastic between the plasterboard & the sprayfoam. I do not have my roof counter battened.
    2. The other option I was considering is putting insulated boards between the rafters myself & covering all the rafters with an airtight membrane & then putting an insulated plasterboard on top.

Which way do ye think is best or is there any better way?
    What do ye think of the installer stating that the foam can be applied direct to the breathable felt?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

read the cert on the foam, it wont suggest this approach..
    And is it a good idea to try to fit a rigid unbreathable insulate between timber joists?

My prefered spec (with some varition depending on roof shape) : slate, Double battens, Breathable felt, I-joists, cellulose between, taped osb board, service cavity / plaster board finish. Maybe timber insulate board instead of felt and membrane instead of osb

• Registered Users Posts: 28 barfold

I am a carpenter and would not agree with applying foam directly to felt either.Personally I would use rigid board between rafters with 50mm air gap to felt flush to inside of rafter, then 50mm rigid board on underside of rafters, tape all joints then batten over for services and plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Pat2 wrote: »
    Hi

First time poster so hopefully I make sense in what Im saying. Im building a new house at present & Im looking into different types of roof insulation. Its a dormer/story & half house. Im trying to get it as airtight as possible. I want to insulate from the wall plate to the ridge as I have only a small attic area. I am considering the following 2 options
    1. Putting spray foam between the rafters from the wall plate to the ridge & putting an insulated plaster board on top of it. The crowd that supply this said I can apply the foam direct to the breathable felt & there is no need for any plastic between the plasterboard & the sprayfoam. I do not have my roof counter battened.
    2. The other option I was considering is putting insulated boards between the rafters myself & covering all the rafters with an airtight membrane & then putting an insulated plasterboard on top.

Which way do ye think is best or is there any better way?
    What do ye think of the installer stating that the foam can be applied direct to the breathable felt?

Thanks in Advance

there are 3 foams certified for use in Ireland by N.S.A.I all of them must be fitted with a spacer card if you spray onto the felt the job is not certifiable regardless of weather the foam used is certified or not

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Have you considered a warm roof? you put the insulation on top of the rafters and the tiles on top of the insulation. That way there is no thermal bridge with the wood.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat2

Thanks for all the replies.

My roof is already constructed so I cannot put any insulation on top of the rafters. My felt, battens slates are all on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nutandbolt

Hi all,
    We are almost ready to insulate our roof. We have narrowed it down to two types of insulation. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on Metac or MetStud??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

nutandbolt wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are almost ready to insulate our roof. We have narrowed it down to two types of insulation. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on Metac or MetStud??
    Thanks
    Metac

Advertisement