Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Anybody seeing Greenfinches at their feeders?

I had 1 female today and 1 male last week. Not many around were I am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

plenty of greeenfinches here in Donegal--second most popular only to the chaffinches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I went for a walk today, and had this very odd Lab accompany me around!

http://youtu.be/mqD4QEJira0

Right down the centre line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

plenty of greeenfinches here in Donegal--second most popular only to the chaffinches

Very good! They seem to be in steady decline the last few years in my neck of the woods (nr. Greystones, wicklow ) none about this winter, in fact there are a few birds I haven't seen in a long time, whitethroat, spotted flycatcher, tree creeper come to mind, on a brighter note we have resident blackcaps for a couple of winters, saw a kite here last year, nice to see them get this far north in wicklow and buzzards are two a penny!

• Advertisement

I've yet to see whitethroat,spotted flycatcher,tree creeper or blackcap ;-(

here's a greenfinch from yesteryear out front

F0E073A9BD264274B1B96D6338DBDF85-0000355662-0002849111-00800L-B105B48C73AE4657A6355C5CFD60F88C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Excellent!

Bsal wrote: »
    Right down the centre line :D

Mad eh? At first I thought it was just a coincidence, thinking sure it has to walk somewhere. But then it would go offline for a sniff of things, but come back to it before going forward again.

wheatears are back--just saw first one of the year out front.Got couple of long distance shots-not even gonna post them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

We have a Robin nesting in one of our camera boxes, as mentioned in an earlier post. She laid 4 egges, one every 24 hours. She then incubated during daylight hours only for 3 days before beginining what I hope is 24 hour incubation yesterday (she stayed on the eggs all night for the first time last night). Is this normal? Kind of a slow start incubation maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

just back from lucan demesne and saw a pair of jays:eek: walk the same spot all the time looking for kingfishers and jays. usually might get a glimpse of a jay once or twice a year but obviously they are nesting and a little bit out in the open. they didnt fly off immediately and i got very close to them. i had to share :D

I found one about 5 kms from the house the other day, was delighted! A Snipe too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

We have a Robin nesting in one of our camera boxes, as mentioned in an earlier post. She laid 4 egges, one every 24 hours. She then incubated during daylight hours only for 3 days before beginining what I hope is 24 hour incubation yesterday (she stayed on the eggs all night for the first time last night). Is this normal? Kind of a slow start incubation maybe?

Perhaps matching the food supply changes as the cold weather abates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I've yet to see whitethroat,spotted flycatcher,tree creeper or blackcap ;-(

here's a greenfinch from yesteryear out front

If you are in Donegal, I would try Glenveagh National Park or Ards Forest for the latter three species. Hazelwood Park a few km's east of Sligo town has those three for sure + Jay.

Good sites for Whitethroat are Broad Lough in Co. Wicklow and Killiney Hill in south Dublin.

thanks for that--saw my first redpoll today--actually 3 of them round at my cousins copious feeders

Saw the strangest thing today, a fish building a nest with grass!

A quick google reveals some Stickleback do it. Who knew!

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

whyulittle wrote: »
    Saw the strangest thing today, a fish building a nest with grass!

A quick google reveals some Stickleback do it. Who knew!
    How long you spend watching that?

I stuck some small pieces of cotton wool in the the tree at the end of the garden today, and within minutes the Sparrows took it all for their nests :D

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Bsal wrote: »
    I stuck some small pieces of cotton wool in the the tree at the end of the garden today, and within minutes the Sparrows took it all for their nests :D
    Must try that tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Just noticed the little case on the outside of my bag containing all my spare memory cards is open and empty. Argh!

One of the Robin eggs in our camera nestbox has hatched! 2 more to go (1 egg disappeared a few days ago).

Taken from Birdwatch ireland, Tolka Branch website:

WARNING ABOUT PERSONAL SAFETY ON THE NORTH BULL ISLAND
    We previously alerted you to robbery of valuables from cars on the North Bull Island, however, last Wednesday a birdwatcher had his camera equipment wrenched from his hands while he sat in his car taking photos of birds. A car with four men drove past their victim and targeted him. One of the passengers made the assault and left the scene at speed. Apparently, this is not an isolated incident.

We would ask you to please be vigilant at all times. If you notice any suspicious behaviour please report same to the local Garda station.

I hope the Gardai catch the perps, this is one of the best birding sites in Co Dublin, it would be a real shame if it becomes a no-go area:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:eek::eek::eek:
    something just caught my eye and I'm totally shocked, surprised and delighted to see bluetits using my nestbox! I put the box on the back wall a couple of years ago (back when Ditch was around these parts!) and assumed it just wasn't suitable but it has a little bit more shrub coverage this year.

My son has lots of really curly hair and had a haircut last week so I distributed the curls among the shrubs.... he's delighted at the idea that his curls are providing a nice soft little nest for the baby birds :)
    They don't seem to mind him on the trampoline close by.
    pic below taken through the window from the kitchen table. I think i'll set up the tripod and camera and leave it there.
    We'll have to be watchful for cats:( and keep the dog out of that corner.

Can you tell I'm excited? :D:D So birds can and will nest in small busy estate house gardens !

FA1C93465F614C5C92BD8BB2F7B800BE-0000331913-0003226941-00500L-1B7E82A1E6C24226BC655E0D83233B13.jpg

Walking one of the tracks at Boora today and what did I find but my memory cards! :D Thank God the place is so quiet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

lots of activity in and out of the nestbox today although there was also a Great tit poking his nose in a while ago. I love that I can watch from the kitchen table.... makes work a lot less painful :)

Robins nest cam from my garden:

67CB938634D248C9AB82C0272F9F2F7C-0000318105-0003229678-00320L-A282F16319834025B0D6263C22EA5676.jpg

46F70B19BE9E4BCDBE79A12815C93D34-0000318105-0003229677-00320L-E55F6E33EB1840D1B4C15A2CFA449220.jpg

There were 4 eggs originally, but 1 disappeared. The remaining egg isn't likely to hatch at this stage. The chicks have visibly grown since these pictures were taken on the 22nd.

There is a nice Bird of Prey pullout in today's Irish Daily Mail.

For your kids, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

finding a few bumblebees dead around the place. is it due to the long harsh spring? and them coming out of hibernation and there been no food and stuff? or am i being paranoid due to the press news about the EU pesticide ban?

• Advertisement

I had a Sparrowhawk visit the garden 3 times today but it didn't catch anything. She must have babies to feed now.

Advertisement