Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a 4x4 to buy

• 29-07-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a 4x4 for my surfing trips. I have found this one http://www.irishcartrades.com/Controller/getcarbyid?id=2080 but it just seems to good to be true with the price.

Is this because of the engine size? Also has anyone got one of these? Can you share your opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I wouldnt say that price is too good to be true.I mean look at petrol prices at the moment and consider that that jeep will only ever do about 15 mpg.Cars like that are not selling at all at the moment.I would even think that you could offer less because someone like you looking to buy a petrol 4x4 is extremely rare.Tyres would clearly be dear as well.I could only possibly reccomend it if you really dont do that much driving

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Wow 15mpg is pretty low alright, I was thinking of buying it for only doing surfing trips in... perhaps a rethink is in order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Thats the going rate for these things it seems. Here's one from a dealer but its not as pimped up.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Jeep/Grand-Cherokee/4.7-LIMITED/1101170/

I can't imagine these things are selling at the moment at all. You could probably get a few more grand off it if the seller finds anyone interested.

For the money you'd spend on tax and petrol in a year you could get 2 surf trips to places like Hawaii and Indonesia for a few weeks each.

That is a good point...

Is there any more efficient perhaps diesel 4x4's that you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Why not just get a suzuki grand vitara or the like??Judging by the Denny ads, surfers use them:D

Something like this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Suzuki/Grand-Vitara/2.0-TD/1045592/

It would be a lot less to run than a cherokee and al ot less money to service I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Why not buy a Volkswagen combi ( and sleep in it) or be cooler still with a Volkswagen Variant - they are proper surfers cars.

Annual road tax of €50 and possibly classic insurance.

You'd have to throw the Jeep away in a years time as no one will pay the 1500ish road tax or put up with the 15mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved to 4x4 forum

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

A commercial Land Rovr Defender... Its your only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Toyota hilux surf, early 90's. If herself wasent such a numberplate snob I'd have one.
    Other than that all I know is that 00 pajero sport is thirsty but good, 02 Nissan Terrano is very economical but doesnt have roof racks and doesnt do off road. Jeep Cherokee are a cheap machine but most say they are expensive to run and arent that great. Nissan Navara pick-ups are also starting to get cheaper aswell.
    Defenders are great if you want off-road (think tractor).

Wow that was an intuitive answer, I like the look of the Navara's.

I'll have a look at a few at the weekend.

2.5 Diesel has got to be more efficient than 4.7 Petrol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cabra64

4.7 lt petrol engine. Whats the tax gonna be like!! If its for surfing i persume you'l be looking for a commercial 4x4. Have to agree with Slig. Hilux Surf is the perfect solution if you don't mind the nineties reg. They're usually really high spec because most are jap or UK imports.
    A useful example: http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2212864

• Registered Users Posts: 9 reggie71

I liked the look of the navara too, but done a bit of research and found this www.knackerednavara.co.uk The words 'barge pole' come to mind...I bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 instead ..... which is why i am selling my much loved Daihatsu Rocky 4x4 on ebay.

I used it for going to work and Mountain biking/camping trips, but always though it would make a great surfers jeep !!At the money i'm asking, it won't break the bank account either.

You can check it out on

REMOVED

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Thats good value and really reliable.You couldnt go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

reggie71 wrote: »
    I liked the look of the navara too, but done a bit of research and found this www.knackerednavara.co.uk The words 'barge pole' come to mind...I bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 instead ..... which is why i am selling my much loved Daihatsu Rocky 4x4 on ebay.

I used it for going to work and Mountain biking/camping trips, but always though it would make a great surfers jeep !!At the money i'm asking, it won't break the bank account either.

You can check it out on REMOVED

Some nice pimping there Reggie:cool:

Slig wrote: »
    Some nice pimping there Reggie:cool:

Indeed ...that one snuck past me :D

No pimping on this forum, ad removed

• Registered Users Posts: 9 reggie71

peasant wrote: »
    Indeed ...that one snuck past me :D

No pimping on this forum, ad removed

ha ha fair enough !! Thanks to Slig and fatsrac for the positive comments :)

just stickied a new for sale/wanted thread ...read the rules, maybe you'd like to post your car there (and on adverts.ie)

Advertisement