Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus missed flight tax refund

Options
  • 18-11-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    i recently found out that air lines are entitled to refund tax and some charges paid on flights missed.
    I booked 2 flights in June but i ended up not taking them.

i rang Air Lingus this morning to determine how to make my claim, however i was told if i dont claim within 4 weeks of the missed flights they will not refund.

surely if they are obliged to refund taxes there should not be a time frame on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Not sure about the time frame, but be aware, they may charge an admin fee for the refund, so you may get feck all back.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

bamboozle wrote: »
    Hi,
    i recently found out that air lines are entitled to refund tax and some charges paid on flights missed.
    I booked 2 flights in June but i ended up not taking them.

i rang Air Lingus this morning to determine how to make my claim, however i was told if i dont claim within 4 weeks of the missed flights they will not refund.

surely if they are obliged to refund taxes there should not be a time frame on this?

These guys might be able to help.

http://www.airtaxrefund.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As noted above there will be a admin charge for it which will usually eat up full or the great part of the cost of going for the refund outside of outside EU style flights.

The company above could go for it but charge a fee for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And also remember that whatever fee Aer Lingus charges will be charged to AirTaxRefund too, so they won't get you any more. Their fee will then come off of whatever is left, if anything at all.

The Aviation Regulator will be able to tell you if the time limit on requesting refunds is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

thanks for all the replies, it looks like both ryanair and Aer Lingus dont pay out if you dont claim within 30 days of missed flight.

strikes me as bizzare that then can hold on to money that was designated to be passed on to revenue as tax.

I'll email the aviation regulator to see what they have to say on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

bamboozle wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies, it looks like both ryanair and Aer Lingus dont pay out if you dont claim within 30 days of missed flight.

strikes me as bizzare that then can hold on to money that was designated to be passed on to revenue as tax.

I'll email the aviation regulator to see what they have to say on this matter.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how did you get on with regulator? I'm in same boat.

Advertisement