Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HMV return/refund?

• 11-01-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone could help with putting my mind at rest with something small.

I bought a game for a friend a few days back, turns out he already has it :rolleyes:
    Would I have any problem in returning the game as it was gutted when I bought it (as in, packaging removed, disc taken out and put in a plastic sleve with the inlays(which really annoys me but anyway) in teh plastic too), could I get my money back or even get a gift voucher or will there be any problems returning it?

When I was buying it at the time I did ask the staff member if I could get a fresh copy and he said they open all Game box's in store so on fresh ones.
    Why do they do that!

Anyway thanks for any help!

RLG

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wouldnt have thought you would have much chance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Legally, you have no right to return it as it's basically customer remorse although from past experience HMV tend to be decent about exchanging stuff.

The reason they remove the games is for security, if the box is empty it stops all but the dumbest scrots from robbing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Gillo wrote: »
    Legally, you have no right to return it as it's basically customer remorse although from past experience HMV tend to be decent about exchanging stuff.

Yeah this is what I am thinking, no chance, but just want to make sure before I head in with it.
    Gillo wrote: »
    The reason they remove the games is for security, if the box is empty it stops all but the dumbest scrots from robbing it.

This is annoying. Gamestop put out dummy boxes and have all the wrapped up fresh games behind the counter so no one robs the games, why cant HMV do the same, I mean, when I buy a game for myself I want to open it after paying so much for it, always felt I was getting a second hand copy when its gutted:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Yeah this is what I am thinking, no chance, but just want to make sure before I head in with it.

They are however bound by their returns policy. I don't know what that is - worst they can say is no. I would try and exchange first of all rather than a refund.
    This is annoying. Gamestop put out dummy boxes and have all the wrapped up fresh games behind the counter so no one robs the games, why cant HMV do the same, I mean, when I buy a game for myself I want to open it after paying so much for it, always felt I was getting a second hand copy when its gutted:(

Only when they have dummy boxes - when you get a three year old game in the delivery you have no option but to put the original box. Sometimes you don't get enough inlays - and also it's used to know when you're out of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

They are however bound by their returns policy. I don't know what that is - worst they can say is no. I would try and exchange first of all rather than a refund.

Only when they have dummy boxes - when you get a three year old game in the delivery you have no option but to put the original box. Sometimes you don't get enough inlays - and also it's used to know when you're out of something.

Thats a good idea, will ask mate if there is any other game he is looking for and see if I can swap it, thanks for your fast replies Gillo and Procrastastudy! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement