Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

• 01-07-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Ok so I went on a bit of a nostalgia trip last week. I went searching for underrated games on PS2 and came across an article...

God Hand was a game that was at the top of the list (Never heard of it)
    It was made by Shinji Mikami. (RE4).

Bought a 2nd hand copy and got it yesterday.

My God (No pun intended :pac:) I have managed to put in nearly 8 hours already, I'm hooked.

Anyone experienced this gem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think it's on PSN. Heard good things about it and it's one of the games people have never forgiven ign for giving a bad score to. Though not as bad as Empire's review of Goldeneye on N64.

But I must pick it up at some point if it goes on sale on PSN

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I played a small bit of it after seeing Game Informer do a Replay on it, it's a fun game that doesn't take itself seriously.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I love God Hand so much. Not enough games where you meet a gorilla in a luchadore mask off a bus then fight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I played a small bit of it after seeing Game Informer do a Replay on it, it's a fun game that doesn't take itself seriously.
    Think you might be missing the point slightly, yes it's fun / non-serious (hilarious cut-scenes)

But the real reason I'm hooked is because there is so much depth to the fighting mechanics.

I love the way I can't block (unless there is?) and the right analogue is used to dodge, dodging ups your style which adds greater power to your attacks.

You can buy / find / win techniques and mix-match your style. No one setup was the same, I keep finding ways to tweak it.

Another great thing is every punch / kick feels great & there's amazing response when pressing the buttons on the controller, it's hard explain. (If I setup my first 5 attacks as quick punch for argument sake, the quicker I hit square the quicker he will punch a dude in the face).

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think it's on PSN. Heard good things about it and it's one of the games people have never forgiven ign for giving a bad score to. Though not as bad as Empire's review of Goldeneye on N64.

But I must pick it up at some point if it goes on sale on PSN

****, didn't realise that it was on PSN sigh :(

I got a hard copy of the PS2 version (Still looks good running through component cable)

• Advertisement

I love God Hand so much. Not enough games where you meet a gorilla in a luchadore mask off a bus then fight him.

Class, but isn't this a spoiler?? Don't think I got that far yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I heard a lot about this game back when it was new among a forum community I used to chat with. I only got it when it came out on PSN, though - Definitely a hidden gem. Just pure, goofy fun. I got pretty good at betting right on the dog races.

Shame there was no sequel... it didn't sell very well from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This is one that I've wanted to play for a long time. I'm a big collector of PS2 games, and this one's really got my attention. Unfortunately though, it's very hard to find a good copy of in the wild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While some developers like naughty dog try to create a great game about emotion, suspense and human drama Clover could effortlessly make one of the best games ever and all it was about was punching people. RIP Clover.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While some developers like naughty dog try to create a great game about emotion, suspense and human drama Clover could effortlessly make one of the best games ever and all it was about was punching people. RIP Clover.

I thought they became another development group?

• Advertisement

They also made the excellent Okami.

Clover studio is more or less now known as Platinum Games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

They also made the excellent Okami.

Clover studio is more or less now known as Platinum Games

Really? I wasn't aware of this. I love Platinum's stuff, which just makes me want to to play God Hand even more.

deathrider wrote: »
    Really? I wasn't aware of this. I love Platinum's stuff, which just makes me want to to play God Hand even more.

Just looked it up; Clover disbanded and became the below.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Games

Some Great games they have made.

I also just realised they made the Viewtiful Joe games too, another game I want to get my hands on. (Played it years ago but never completed it).

Yeah seems they have the reputation of making more games like God hand which are considered great but not many people buy them. :)

I've got all Platinum games except Infinite Space on the DS. Though only played MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns so far. though will have to get the Korra game when it comes out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah seems they have the reputation of making more games like God hand which are considered great but not many people buy them. :)

I've got all Platinum games except Infinite Space on the DS. Though only played MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns so far. though will have to get the Korra game when it comes out

They're probably the two worst Platinum Games :pac: (although both have their virtues). Get some Bayonetta and Vanquish ASAP - the latter is a pure adrenaline boost, while the former boasts a combat system that borders on poetic. It's also one of the finest games of the outgoing console generation to boost - or any console generation at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They're probably the two worst Platinum Games :pac: (although both have their virtues). Get some Bayonetta and Vanquish ASAP - the latter is a pure adrenaline boost, while the former boasts a combat system that borders on poetic. It's also one of the finest games of the outgoing console generation to boost - or any console generation at that.

Can't disagree with that, Vanquish is absolutely brilliant, it runs so smoothly and is great fun to play. Plus it's a game where there's a button on the joypad dedicated to opening the hero's mask, lighting up a fag and taking a smoke then flicking it away mid firefight.

You can pick it up for next to nothing these days Tesco had a load of copies a while back for a fiver, Bayonetta too.

So in light of the title change (Thanks Johnny! :))

Another title that slipped under my radar until now; Darkwatch

Only played the first couple of levels but a great FPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have to say I loved this one when it was released, would have loved to have seen another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So in light of the title change (Thanks Johnny! :))

Another title that slipped under my radar until now; Darkwatch

Only played the first couple of levels but a great FPS

I'd totally forgotten about that game, was good fun, kinda had a Timesplitters feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I never actually finished vanquish, i think I got as far as the
    sniping from the train sequence
    and couldnt do it. or else i got distracted by something else. hmm. maybe I'll start it again from the beginning.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Can't disagree with that, Vanquish is absolutely brilliant, it runs so smoothly and is great fun to play. Plus it's a game where there's a button on the joypad dedicated to opening the hero's mask, lighting up a fag and taking a smoke then flicking it away mid firefight.

You can pick it up for next to nothing these days Tesco had a load of copies a while back for a fiver, Bayonetta too.

Oh I've got them both. It's just getting around to playing them. Bayonetta was gonna be played soon but now decided I'll just play it on the Wii U.

And I enjoyed MadWorld(great commentary) and Anarchy Reigns since both were just fun and over the top violent. Main complaint about them is the amount of grinding that had to be done in them.

As for Underrated games(in the sense that not enough people were aware or bought them), I have to nominate 2 Wii games - Zack&Wiki and Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands.

Zack & Wiki was a great point and click adventure with action added on.

The Wii version of PoP Forgotten sands was a completely different game than the PS360 versions. Original story, controls and powers. One of my favourite PoP games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Manhunt on ps2 (and psn now) best game I've ever played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

calex71 wrote: »
    Have to say I loved this one when it was released, would have loved to have seen another one.

Shadow of destiny was a great game. Loved it on the XBox back in the day. Quirkey title that was a little bit strange. Could never understand the lukewarm reception it received.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vyse wrote: »
    Shadow of destiny was a great game. Loved it on the XBox back in the day. Quirkey title that was a little bit strange. Could never understand the lukewarm reception it received.

People just didn't understand it back then and it looked kind of naff. There was nothing to compare it to then or now. Most reviewers never gave it a chance.

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Manhunt on ps2 (and psn now) best game I've ever played

Disturbingly violent at times but from what I remember great gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

battlefield 4 is such an underrated game

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Have to mention Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes in the underrated category.

Never really come across many who've played it, but imo there hasn't been as good an effort at blending 3rd person action / hack & slash gameplay with RTS elements.

Bought a copy 2nd hand off amazon not so long ago to play on the 360 but it crashes about 5 minutes into the game without fail... even though the disc is spotless! Infuriating..

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Anyone ever play the suffering? one of my favorites from the ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Jaysus, never even heard of that!

Looks decent enough though.

• Advertisement

i have to admit I found the Suffering and Manhunt to be two of the worst games I've ever played. Shock value for shock values sake and then once you get over that the boredom sets in.

Advertisement