Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Along comes another one to taunt us

• 25-07-2001 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so this thread doesnt have much (or any) relivance to this forum but seeing as someone already created a thread about aol I'll continue.

Anyone see The Free Internet? They are at http://www.thefreeinternet.net . Its another 24/7 unmetered access isp that has sprung up in the uk. Free so they say, but you have to outlay 99 quid for a suspect piece of software that u dial in with.. After that its totally free.. dialing in thru an 0800 number.

I cant describe how much I vomited in disgust when I saw this. Ohh and they give free ISDN access too.. so you could more than likely get two channels going. Anyway, just thought id spread the word in case anyone hasnt heard. It would be nice to get some info on the company too, cos they arent exactly forthcoming with a wealth of knowledge on their site.

All thats left to say is... When will we have something like this? or to be more correct - will we ever have something like this?

[This message has been edited by rymus (edited 25-07-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks very much that's just spoiled my sleep for to-night! frown.gif

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I wouldn't put too much credibility in a company like that - do you have any idea how many such companies have totally crashed and burned in the UK of late...?

Anyway... its a whole different market- different ball game. Let's concentrate on the market we're in... (The Republic of) Ireland.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    I wouldn't put too much credibility in a company like that - do you have any idea how many such companies have totally crashed and burned in the UK of late...?
    </font>

Haha, a lot. (Line25 must have been the classic one, especially when they raised the prices from 25 nicker (hence the name) (per year) to 40. And then went broke.

Nice idea but... (Bard's right, move on - when we get all we want we'll hopefully all be free to make bad purchasing decisions with companies that go broke by teatime.

(hey, I could be wrong - they may do well, it's the 0800 number that makes it seem like a bad business model)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/ is the site of the UK ISP user group, for anybody interested in UK ISPs.

Advertisement