Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1890 + euphony?

• 19-07-2001 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering if someone knows anything about this. I've switched from esat to a company called Euphony (www.euphony.com if you've never heard of em)...well, more precisely, my sister changed the damned phoneline.
    They offer the first five minutes of all local and national calls (off-peak) free, not even a minimum charge, which is handy for checking email and whatnot. Its crap for going on the net for a few hours though (its 2p a minute after the five minutes). I have an account with UTVinternet, which is an 1890 number. I'm just wondering, will this 1890 number be charged at 1p a minute or 2p a minute. That is, would it be charged at 1p a minute no matter which OLO you're with?

Thanks in advance,
    lampsie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its 1p per min(off peak) no matter what OLO, unless its a deal like NTL that routes all your calls through its network bar a few reserved ones, 1891,1800 etc, 1890 doesnt count.

I wonder could you do a shotgun modem setup and dial one to connect at 56k, then as teh 5 min limit approaches, shotgun the other to connect, and disconnect the first one before it goes over 5 mins, and so on.

Might work given that shotgun software has been available for several years; only drawback is you would need dual phone lines, and you would need to be very handy with a perl script or whatever you want that could setup an automated connect/disconnect routine every 4 mins 30 secs or so.....

What you could do, which it is what lads do in the states, where the first ten minutes are free, is to connect and then reconnect at the ten minutes.

This program it's very good. http://www.magsys.co.uk/dunman/
    It's called DUN Manager, and allows you to take care of everything about your phone line such as connecting, disconnecting, reconntecting if dropped, calculate the cost ... etc ...

JamworkS

PS: BTW I dont work for them.

thanks jamworks ill try that at home,
    and thats cps so yes 1890 number are charged at 2p per minute

My experience is that all offerings similar to this have a downside which outweighs the advantages of switching.

On examining the details on their web site I can't really see advantage in switching to this service.

OK the first five minutes of a call are free but there is a monthly limit of 500 mins per month.

• Advertisement

i see, you get a better deal with eircom
    788 minutes for £1.70 and cheaper calls

Yes, you are correct but that particular offer applies only to ISDN ... other than that there is no other obvious downside (also I did not have to change operator and pay a sign up fee ... in the case of EUPHONY it is just under £9 refundable under certain circumstances) but the saving is only a few pounds per month.

My belief is that the majority of such offers are based on a careful analaysis of usage patterns and that in general they lead to extra revenue for the supplier. I know a number of cases (mainly business) where users switched operator only to discover that their bills had actually increased (in one instance the user was charged for calls that had not been answered at the other end ... there was a technical reason for this but despite this he had to take legal action in order to cancel the contract and return to Eircom).

An interesting one is here in Limerick, my girlfriend recently switched to Chorus's offer for Digital TV and Telephone service. Because the phone service is wireless (although i havent noticed any difference, even on the net) they dont charge line rental and you get to tell eircon where to shove theres smile.gif Less than a week after changing over my girlfriends mom got a visit from Eircon reps asking why the change took place and were promptly told that there was no line rental and cheaper calls, to which eircon replyed but our calls are now cheaper than they were... and my gf's mom said yeah but chorus has no line rental... the eirconners just stared blankly at her for about a minute and a half before leaving. All i can say is DAMN I WISH I WAS THERE!!!

p.s. sorry for the long winded msg... i'm really tired and have the literacy skills of a salted slug at the moment.

I've heard of that company. A relitive is currently trying to convert me. Are the calls cheaper then eircom, well that's the impression I got.

Regards,

Peter Denham
    http://www.acidwebsolutions.com/
    post@acidwebsolutions.com

if you can get chorus digital service then get it, you would want to be stupid not to,

beats eircoms hands down

• Advertisement

Is Chorus not owned by Tony O'Reilly? If it is and he is successful in his bid for Eircom what happens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

He has to sell his shareholding in Chorus.

adam

Its a sad fact that we have to try to root out the best company in a Really bad lot. I dont think chorus are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. They seem to be very disorganised. At the moment they are offering digital TV which includes email and internet for free. But while the TV is fine, the internet and email still havent been setup... and all you get is a coming soon message everytime you try it. I have asked numerous times as to when this will be available, i'm told they dont know. But hey, since when has eircom ever been on time with anything. They also offer a wireless version of the ASDL which seems to be really good, after a £200 to £300 setup fee (depending on whether you have a suitable ethernet card) they charge £40 a month there after and have a 3GB limit on downloads. Its up to 10x faster than dialup and is always on. But i havent seen this in action so I cant say how good it is.

A wireless form of ADSL, does that make any sense to anyone,
    its isnt adsl, its jsut wireless internet, i think their some name for it but i cant recall

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    A wireless form of ADSL, does that make any sense to anyone,
    its isnt adsl, its jsut wireless internet, i think their some name for it but i cant recall
    </font>

Sorry folks, i just called it that out of habit, not out of any fact filled knowledge on my part. Its just that it is 10x faster than dialup access and is an always on connection. So i've been calling it Wireless ASDL, if anyone knows the proper name for this technology maybe you could post it.

Ours is not to reason why!!

im pretty sure its fwa, but dont quote me,
    hubson would know for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The ODTR refer to wireless broadband as FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) or WLL (Wireless in the Local Loop).

adam

thanks, just making sure

Advertisement