Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bigger Girls: Are They More Popular than We Think?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Honey-ec wrote: »
    "Big" is a relative term, which is why I didn't use it. She's not big compared to someone like Beth Ditto, clearly. But looking I do think she's overweight. As I said, she always wears industrial-strength underwear which pulls her in at the middle so her waist looks tiny (and anyone will tell you that having an hourglass figure generally tends to mean you can get away with carrying more weight than other body shapes and not look it because of the proportions), but looking at her upper arms, hips and calves (particularly in this photo http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Christina-Hendricks-In-LWren-Scott-41st-Annual-Peace-Over-Violence-Humanitarian-Awards.jpg), she looks like she's carrying extra weight to me.

Actually, I just found a picture of her without the Spanx & beautifully cut dresses, and to me, there's no denying that she's overweight - http://i.imgur.com/6S1cm.jpg

Whether or not you find her attractive or not is completely down to personal preference. I had simply used her as an examply of how curvy seems to be increasingly conflated with overweight. Imo, yes, she's curvy, there's no denying that, but she's also overweight.

I agree with you. I watch Mad Men and when you see her moving around rather than in a photo her head is tiny compared to her body, she is overweight, shoved into seriously strong underwear, as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

"Big" is a relative term, which is why I didn't use it. She's not big compared to someone like, say, Beth Ditto, clearly. But I do think she's overweight. As I said, she always wears industrial-strength underwear which pulls her in at the middle so her waist looks tiny (and anyone will tell you that having an hourglass figure generally tends to mean you can get away with carrying more weight than other body shapes and not look it because of the proportions), but looking at her upper arms, hips and calves (particularly in this photo http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Christina-Hendricks-In-LWren-Scott-41st-Annual-Peace-Over-Violence-Humanitarian-Awards.jpg), she looks like she's carrying extra weight to me.

Actually, I just found a picture of her without the Spanx & beautifully cut dresses, and to me, there's no denying that she's overweight - http://i.imgur.com/6S1cm.jpg

Whether or not you find her attractive or not is completely down to personal preference. I had simply used her as an examply of how curvy seems to be increasingly conflated with overweight. Imo, yes, she's curvy, there's no denying that, but she's also overweight.

Holy crap she has let herself go since Firefly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

"Big" is a relative term, which is why I didn't use it. She's not big compared to someone like, say, Beth Ditto, clearly. But I do think she's overweight. As I said, she always wears industrial-strength underwear which pulls her in at the middle so her waist looks tiny (and anyone will tell you that having an hourglass figure generally tends to mean you can get away with carrying more weight than other body shapes and not look it because of the proportions), but looking at her upper arms, hips and calves (particularly in this photo http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Christina-Hendricks-In-LWren-Scott-41st-Annual-Peace-Over-Violence-Humanitarian-Awards.jpg), she looks like she's carrying extra weight to me.

no offence but youre a woman, you would say that and obviousy a skinnier one too why? because thats what all this ****e comes down to, women are in competition with each other to get their guy. so if they are less attractive then they will diss those that are a threat to their guy by putting them down, its [[admittedly ****ed up] human/animal nature and the sooner guys realise this the sooner they will be more comfortable going for what their instincts are actually attracted to rather than what other guys and especially women friends and media will tell them subconsciously

they need to grow a pair basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

IM0 wrote: »
    no offence but youre
    a woman, you would say that and obviousy a skinnier one too why?
    because thats what all this ****e comes down to, women are in
    competition with each other to get their guy. so if they are less
    attractive then they will diss those that are a threat to their guy by
    putting them down, its [[admittedly ****ed up] human/animal nature and
    the sooner guys realise this the sooner they will be more comfortable
    going for what their instincts are actually attracted to rather than
    what other guys and especially women friends and media will tell them
    subconsciously

Rubbish. While I think the lady posted is very attractive, she is quite clearly carrying extra weight. It's got nothing to do with fighting off competition for men, because shockingly enough, I don't feel insecure enough to diss how a woman looks just to get a man, and I doubt many other rational, self assured women feel that need, either.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Rubbish. While I think the lady posted is very attractive, she is quite clearly carrying extra weight. It's got nothing to do with fighting off competition for men, because shockingly enough, I don't feel insecure enough to diss how a woman looks just to get a man, and I doubt many other rational, self assured women feel that need, either.

look she carries her weight around her hips, she is not over weight. if she had that weight around her stomach and as a belly then we might have some common ground. if it was there then she would be unhealthy too. over weight means **** all if you dont know about where the weight is distributed and the consequences of health on where is it. also look at her arms, shes not over weight certainly no excess fat there, just like itwasntme pic earlier she was a beautifull pear shape.

in simple terms:

weight on hips = good and healthy :) aka pear shaped

weight on stomach [aka belly] = bad :( not healthy leading to obesity and potentially fatal [fat around the organs is what matters in this, thats the killer, and where are the organs located, hips?, thighs is it?

YOU are in fact talking rubbish, but youre allowed an opinion unfortunately :(

• Advertisement

look she carries her weight around her hips, she is not over weight. if she had that weight around her stomach and as a belly then we might have some common ground. if it was there then she would be unhealthy too. over weight means **** all if you dont know about where the weight is distributed and the consequences of health on where is it.

in simple terms:

weight on hips = good and healthy :)

weight on stomach [aka belly] = bad :( not healthy and potentially fatal

Either way, she doesn't look good with the weight, regardless of where it is. She looks like she's stuffed into everything she wears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It's hard to tell whether she's overweight or not....but her head does look tiny!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It's hard to tell whether she's overweight or not....but her head does look tiny!

Maybe all this is a big fuss over nothing and she just has an abnormally small head making her look out of proportion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Either way, she doesn't look good with the weight, regardless of where it is. She looks like she's stuffed into everything she wears.

I guess Esquire magazine didn't agree with you when they voted her sexiest woman alive.

I guess Esquire magazine didn't agree with you when they voted her sexiest woman alive.

Other women that have been voted as sexiest by other magazines are Tulisa, Helen Flanagan, and Louise Redknapp to name a few. I know Esquire is a bit better but still, not everyone has to think someone is sexy for them to be voted sexiest alive. Whether she's sexy or not isn't what I was talking about, I'm saying she's a bit overweight, sexiness is defined differently by different people.

• Advertisement

She looks like she's stuffed into everything she wears.

so do all women who wear tight clothing, and if your going by mad men and not the photo above then she probably is wearing a corsett in that show which is designed btw to squeeze your trunk to help give the appearance that a woman has an hourglass shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

While the question in the OP asks "Bigger Girls: Are they more popular than we think?", and everyone has given opinions on how attractive or not they are and the dangers of obesity, etc, I think by that same token we should surely also be looking at the idea of "thinspiration" or the culture and ideals surrounding the pro-anorexia movement, which is at the other extreme of the scale (no pun intended) and IMO at least, just as damaging both socially and from a health point of view as obesity-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-ana

bottom line people, unless you are on either end of the bellcurve/spectrum then you are grand usually the problem comes when the person starts to view themselves as being FAT and not just psychologically but literally! studies have been done and there have been docs on the bbc about this sort of stuff. if you are annorexic you will litterally see yourself as heavier than you actually are :eek:

its scary in many ways and is a very serious mental illness to have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Czarcasm wrote: »
    While the question in the OP asks "Bigger Girls: Are they more popular than we think?", and everyone has given opinions on how attractive or not they are and the dangers of obesity, etc, I think by that same token we should surely also be looking at the idea of "thinspiration" or the culture and ideals surrounding the pro-anorexia movement, which is at the other extreme of the scale (no pun intended) and IMO at least, just as damaging both socially and from a health point of view as obesity-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-ana

just as damaging ya but much less of a problem then obosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

It's no wonder that women (and men, to a lesser extent) end up with eating disorders, when our bodies are examined and dissected to see if we match up to conventional ideas of beauty and attractiveness.

I've been reading over this thread and, after nearly 350 responses, I'm really none the wiser about what men find attractive in women (in a general sense). I'm short with a size 12 hourglass shape - narrow waist, big boobs, big hips and a big bottom, but I do carry some weight on my stomach as well. I'm not skinny, but am I a bigger girl? Am I fat? I really don't know, and all this discussion about women's figures isn't conducive to positive body image either.

My boyfriend tells me that I'm not fat, and I was actually even bigger when I met him. But by society's standards, I haven't a notion what I am really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm short with a size 12 hourglass shape - narrow waist, big boobs, big hips and a big bottom, .

Giggity giggity!

It's no wonder that women (and men, to a lesser extent) end up with eating disorders, when our bodies are examined and dissected to see if we match up to conventional ideas of beauty and attractiveness.

I've been reading over this thread and, after nearly 350 responses, I'm really none the wiser about what men find attractive in women (in a general sense). I'm short with a size 12 hourglass shape - narrow waist, big boobs, big hips and a big bottom, but I do carry some weight on my stomach as well. I'm not skinny, but am I a bigger girl? Am I fat? I really don't know, and all this discussion about women's figures isn't conducive to positive body image either.

My boyfriend tells me that I'm not fat, and I was actually even bigger when I met him. But by society's standards, I haven't a notion what I am really.

Funny thing is, I've found that it has proved that there is no standard, and there is no general preference.

Some will think I'm slim and gorgeous, some will think I'm curvy and gorgeous, some will think I'm a bit fat and gorgeous, some will think I'm simply horrible whether they think I'm slim, curvy, or fat!

But yeh, our bodies are constantly critiqued but I am absolutely of the opinion that women have a much bigger issue with women's bodies than men do.

Funny thing is, I've found that it has proved that there is no standard, and there is no general preference.

Some will think I'm slim and gorgeous, some will think I'm curvy and gorgeous, some will think I'm a bit fat and gorgeous, some will think I'm simply horrible whether they think I'm slim, curvy, or fat!

But yeh, our bodies are constantly critiqued but I am absolutely of the opinion that women have a much bigger issue with women's bodies than men do.

Yeah I agree, there is definitely a huge variation in what men consider to be attractive in women. I'm not everyone's cup of tea, but there's probably no woman alive or dead who is/was.

I especially agree with the part in bold; men will look at a woman and think 'yes' or 'no'. But we look at ourselves so critically, it's unbelievable. Among my friends, most of whom are good looking girls with nice figures, nearly all of them want to change something about themselves. And I'm definitely the same.

. I'm not everyone's cup of tea,

It took me a long time to understand that too, thank feck I'm grown up now and don't really care any more (well, I care to an extent which is natural I think), but when I was younger I didn't get the whole "different folks" idea, I wanted to be perfect, if I was perfect then surely everyone would find me attractive right? Wrong.

I realised I will never be perfect, but more than that, I realised that there is no such thing as perfect and once I copped on to that, I suddenly liked what I saw in the mirror a whole lot more. I still would change soooooo many things, but now I see the good aswell as the bad.

It took me a long time to understand that too, thank feck I'm grown up now and don't really care any more (well, I care to an extent which is natural I think), but when I was younger I didn't get the whole "different folks" idea, I wanted to be perfect, if I was perfect then surely everyone would find me attractive right? Wrong.

I realised I will never be perfect, but more than that, I realised that there is no such thing as perfect and once I copped on to that, I suddenly liked what I saw in the mirror a whole lot more. I still would change soooooo many things, but now I see the good aswell as the bad.

Perfection is an impossible standard, I know that now!

Once I'm happy with myself, and my boyfriend is happy with me, that's all that really matters. I've got lumps and bumps galore, but if I was to try please every man's taste, sure I'd need surgical intervention :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

If you are not in the normal weight on this index then you are overweight, dress it up how you want calling it curves etc but in the end you are unhealthy due to taking in more calories then your body naturally needs.

http://www.untidyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Obesity-Check-Your-BMI-with-BMI-chart-and-calculator-for-teenagers-women-men-infants-children-and-adults..jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Goose81 wrote: »
    If you are not in the normal weight on this index then you are overweight, dress it up how you want calling it curves etc but in the end you are unhealthy due to taking in more calories then your body naturally needs.

http://www.untidyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Obesity-Check-Your-BMI-with-BMI-chart-and-calculator-for-teenagers-women-men-infants-children-and-adults..jpg

BMI is pretty rubbish for telling if you're over or under weight. It's meant to be used for big population samples and not for individuals. Someone who has a lot of muscle mass and low body fat would have a higher BMI than me who has much less muscle mass and a higher body fat percentage. They are clearly healthier than me but the BMI scale says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

BMI is pretty rubbish for telling if you're over or under weight. It's meant to be used for big population samples and not for individuals. Someone who has a lot of muscle mass and low body fat would have a higher BMI than me who has much less muscle mass and a higher body fat percentage. They are clearly healthier than me but the BMI scale says otherwise.

You are correct in men who go to the gym, rugby players etc.

If women are lifting weights to build muscle they can exclude themselves aswell however I have never seen a female bodybuilder in Ireland, so it is a perfectly good measuring tool for the average women who will have little muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Me three, took me many years and even now I am only started to cop on to the idea that you can't be universally attractive. For example, any of the eye candy threads with actors etc. you will find even with these almost perfect individuals some people geniunely don't feel attracted to them. I used to think that was just people in denial or trying to make themselves feel better but have come to understand that there are just different things that get different people and even different feelings within each person that may lead to them finding something/someone more attractive at certain times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

no offence but youre a woman, you would say that and obviousy a skinnier one too why? because thats what all this ****e comes down to, women are in competition with each other to get their guy. so if they are less attractive then they will diss those that are a threat to their guy by putting them down, its [[admittedly ****ed up] human/animal nature and the sooner guys realise this the sooner they will be more comfortable going for what their instincts are actually attracted to rather than what other guys and especially women friends and media will tell them subconsciously

Really, how do you know what goes on in the mind's of women? I'm sick of this bollocks tbh.

Why would anyone be in competition with your one Hendricks? She's hardly going to come along to my gaf and steal me fella, is she? We love a couple of thousands of miles apart and I'm secure enough to trust the man I'm with. I'm really sick of this idea bandied around that we're all in competition with each other for men. Don't flatter yourselves, like. I'll be absolutely honest with you: I've more things to be thinking about as I go about my business and am secure in how I look and my appearance is not on my mind for the majority of the day. Not all women are quivering, insecure, neurotic wreaks although perhaps popular media portrays us as such. I think she's gorgeous even if she's somewhat overweight and I also think Kate Moss was gorgeous even if she was underweight back in the day. I don't aspire to have the body of either and I don't feel threatened by them. It's merely observations.

The point that some people are making is that overweight is not necessarily what people think. You have Beth Ditto but you also have Christine Hendricks who is an AH favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I'm not sure I agree. Looking at her I just see a normal sized woman with massive boobs. What weight do you think she is, just out of interest? I Googled her height and it's somewhere between 5'6'' and 5'8'' so I put 5'7'' into one of those BMI charts and put in female age 38 and put in 11 stone and it's a healthy weight. Even if she's a bit more than that it is not a problem considering her shape. Take away the boobs and she's not that big. Surely there's only so much tight underwear can hide? Do you think her natural waist is over 32?

I'm not a massive fan of the BMI index by the way, but it helps as a guide. In my opinion someone else at her weight could look like a sack of potatoes. It all depends on the individual.

Edit: It just seems to me like the ''overweight'' comments are cheap digs at Hendricks. It cannot even be proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

thank god we have this wise council convened online to decide who is or isn't overweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Usually pretty obvious what overweight is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Gap, hips to waist ratio, BMI??? Feck all that. I'd be more drawn to a pretty face tbh. Some girls can be a bit over weight but still have a nice face. Likewise, some girls can have great figures but wouldn't actually be very attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Gap, hips to waist ratio, BMI??? Feck all that. I'd be more drawn to a pretty face tbh. Some girls can be a bit over weight but still have a nice face. Likewise, some girls can have great figures but wouldn't actually be very attractive.
    People are different. Who knew?:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement